Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

smoke/steam from radiator + overflow

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default smoke/steam from radiator + overflow

1995 Civic CX with D15B7.

It started happening recently.. seems like it's overheating or something, but my temperature gauge stays under the halfway point and has never exceeded that.

Basically, after driving for a bit, steam/smoke will start coming from my radiator and overflow tank. After I got home, I parked it and even before I popped my hood I could hear water boiling/bubbling.

So far, I've bought a new relay for the underhood fusebox for the radiator fan, and when I jumped the fan switch connector, the fan turned on - so I know my fan works. What should be my next step?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: smoke/steam from radiator + overflow

Headgasket is blown and exhaust gas is pushing coolant back through the cooling system. Replace engine.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Headgasket is blown and exhaust gas is pushing coolant back through the cooling system. Replace engine.
I figured so.. I was hoping otherwise, though.

Is there anyway I could salvage the motor for the next week or so? I'm picking up a D16Z6 tomorrow, but won't be able to swap it in until next weekend.. and I still gotta get to work/school all week.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol... Replace head gasket. Motor saved. If you don't have time to do that (should only take a couple hours if you use a good walk through) just baby the hell out of it, constantly check your coolant level and avoid hills at all costs.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, you could also check the radiator for cracks. My girlfriends Accord has a bubbling over flow tank but it doesn't overheat. It only does it when she turns the car off and I'm pretty sure it's just because the engine is trying to suck coolant back in but it can't because it's sucking air through the crack. Hopefully at least..... lol
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Seagull Management

I haven't seen a D15B7 yet that was the same after a headgasket replacement. They almost always burn a ton of oil starting immediately after. If its only got to last another week just drive it the way it is.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So is the headgasket gone already, or on it's way out? I'm wondering if I can change out the headgasket ASAP before anything warps or I have to replace the headstuds.. reason being, I still have a few random knick-knacks I have to source for my Z6 swap so I'd like to keep this decent running as long as possible.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So.. a little update.

I was checking things out, and realized my fan was never kicking on. I never completely figured it out (I was guessing the fan switch, but never changed it out), but I wired the two wires that go into the thermostat from the fan so the fan automatically comes on when I turn my car on.

In addition, I guess from all the pressure in the radiator, it cracked somewhere and I had a bad leak. Ended up buying a new one from Vatozone, flushed out the coolant and all that and put some fresh coolant/antifreeze into the radiator and so far (for about a week now) everything has been good.

I was wondering if I changed out my headgasket now, would I be able to salvage my motor? My car never once overheated, but I know I won't know 100% if anything's warped unless I take off my head and check things out... I just need some more time as finding a d16z6 in SoCal is a lot hard than I presumably thought

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Seagull Management

You can put a headgasket in it, but most of the time the engine will start burning oil almost immediately after. Sometimes you get lucky though.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can put a headgasket in it, but most of the time the engine will start burning oil almost immediately after. Sometimes you get lucky though.
Significantly burning oil, or just more than usual? Currently, I have a pretty bad oil leak from the dizzy, valve cover, and probably my rear main seal too. I usually have to put a quart in every month or so whenever my oil light starts coming on (flashes when I start up, and comes on when stopping).

How hard is it to replace a headgasket?
Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by .mattyz_
Significantly burning oil, or just more than usual? Currently, I have a pretty bad oil leak from the dizzy, valve cover, and probably my rear main seal too. I usually have to put a quart in every month or so whenever my oil light starts coming on (flashes when I start up, and comes on when stopping).
I did one personally that took around 3 - 4 quarts a day. It was bad, smoke would come in through the windows at idle. I still don't understand why, It never really took oil before I put a headgasket in it. I used a brand new OEM honda gasket too and new OEM honda headbolts. Saw a few others burn oil too, but nothing like mine. 3 layer steel gasket for a Y8 seems to be the way to go. I only ran that engine for about 4 days, it was just ridiculous so I ran out and bought another D15B7, dropped that in and them promptly blew the headgasket in it a month later, pulled the head and saw a felpro gasket, said I had enough and bought a nice low mileage JDM D15B Vtec.

How hard is it to replace a headgasket?
Not overly hard. You will need a torque wrench though.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did one personally that took around 3 - 4 quarts a day. It was bad, smoke would come in through the windows at idle. I still don't understand why, It never really took oil before I put a headgasket in it. I used a brand new OEM honda gasket too and new OEM honda headbolts. Saw a few others burn oil too, but nothing like mine. 3 layer steel gasket for a Y8 seems to be the way to go. I only ran that engine for about 4 days, it was just ridiculous so I ran out and bought another D15B7, dropped that in and them promptly blew the headgasket in it a month later, pulled the head and saw a felpro gasket, said I had enough and bought a nice low mileage JDM D15B Vtec.

Not overly hard. You will need a torque wrench though.
Oh wow, that's insane. I've heard D15B7s are notorious for blowing headgaskets often, so I guess mine just follows the same traits. But 3-4 quarts a day? Damn

Oh okay, sweet. I also read here on HT (by you, maybe?) that it's recommended to use a D16Y8 headgasket as it's thinner or something? Anything else I'll need to buy to replace the headgasket?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Seagull Management

Oh wow, that's insane. I've heard D15B7s are notorious for blowing headgaskets often, so I guess mine just follows the same traits. But 3-4 quarts a day? Damn
Honda actually a TSB for the headgasket issue. Now keep in mind i've never seen another D15B7 burn oil to the extent mine did, saw lots that burned some oil after a headgasket, but mine was the most exteme case I ever saw.

Oh okay, sweet. I also read here on HT (by you, maybe?) that it's recommended to use a D16Y8 headgasket as it's thinner or something? Anything else I'll need to buy to replace the headgasket?
Y8 is better because its 3 layer steel, it will never rot like the original graphite gasket did. (if you look at the old gasket parts of it will have a bunch of pin holes) Make sure though that you have a perfect surface on the head and block, they can't compensate for minor imperfections the way a graphite gasket can.

You should get either new headbolts or if you can afford them ARP headstuds (they work better, and they're reusable)
Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright cool.. just wondering, is there any way I could tell if my head/block is warped at all just by checking it out up close? Basically, I'm trying to avoid pulling the motor as the car is my DD and I can't really afford to do that at this moment...

Definitely noted to pick up some ARP headstuds for replacement, though
Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Seagull Management

Alright cool.. just wondering, is there any way I could tell if my head/block is warped at all just by checking it out up close? Basically, I'm trying to avoid pulling the motor as the car is my DD and I can't really afford to do that at this moment...

Definitely noted to pick up some ARP headstuds for replacement, though
You can check the block with a straight edge. Make sure the mating surface is good and clean. Have the head planed if you can.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can check the block with a straight edge. Make sure the mating surface is good and clean. Have the head planed if you can.
Alright, that definitely sounds a lot more do-able than pulling the motor (if I even had to).

So for now, all I'd have to buy is a D16Y8 headgasket, and some ARP headstuds. Anything else I should look into? I think I'm gonna search for a DIY here on HT for a headgasket to replacement, just to cover and general questions I might have.