Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smoke/burning smell when heat is turned on

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke/burning smell when heat is turned on

This is my wife's 98 Civic LX, zero mods. It's her daily driver...and will soon be on the market since we bought a Pilot last night. Only has 46k miles, she has a very short commute to work.

Anyways, the AC motor was replaced about a year ago under warranty, not sure if this is related, but now when the heat is on and warm (~5 minutes of driving or so) you can smell a burning rubber smell. It's pretty gross. Wasn't sure if there was anything in particular I should look at before bringing it in...

Old 12-09-2004, 03:58 PM

bump
Old 12-09-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (SlalomHonda)

does it only smell when the car is ideling?

my car does that when you sit at a stop light with the heat on, but it isn't rubber it is just exhaust. that is all i got, anyone else bump.....

you may end up takin it in.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:30 AM

Nah you can smell it when you're driving...thanks though.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoke/burning smell when heat is turned on (SlalomHonda)

i have the same problem mines was because of the way my header is designed the splash guard under the bumper would touch it when you drive giving out the smell of burning plastics.
check and see maybe u got a plastic bag caught under the car or something under the hood.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Smoke/burning smell when heat is turned on (hayabusa160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same problem mines was because of the way my header is designed the splash guard under the bumper would touch it when you drive giving out the smell of burning plastics.
check and see maybe u got a plastic bag caught under the car or something under the hood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

almost the exact same problem on my car. the plastic sheild thing right next to the radiator and in front of the exhaust manifold heat sheild, one of the bolts came off. so anytime i would drive like faster the 35 mph the plastic sheild would blow back against my heat sheild. if i had been driving for a while the heat sheild would be hot enough that it would start to burn and melt the plastic, so i would get this burning plastic smell if i came to a stop afterwards. i wasn't sure what it was at first till i looked under my hood and saw like 3 or 4 holes in the plastic where the exhaust manifold heat sheild had burned through. i was too lazy to get another bolt to fix the plastic sheild so i just ripped it off.