Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SMOG Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMOG Help

I have a 93 vx hatch that I bought from a guy without a motor. The DMV told me that to get it transferred into my name I have to make it operable and have it smogged. well I have a JDM B18c motor that I put in it before I went to do the transfer and it won't pass smog by any means imaginable. Now I have a different situation I guess I can deal with but the thing is to get it operable and smogged with a d series motor would take a lot of pain and I don't want to go through it. I leave for Florida in 6 weeks and if someone could help me out I would appreciate it. The motor came out of a 92 civic cx so what I have been doing is using the vin and registration from that car on my 93 vx, my 92 had florida tags. If I can't get a smog then I'm probably just gonna use that registration for the rest of the time I have that car and sand down the vin number underneath the hood, and peel of the vin in the car. I have the vin tag on the dash still so if I get pulled over that's what they'll look at. If someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: SMOG Help (B18chatch83)

BTW I know this is a monitored subject sometimes, if you would like to help me out and don't want to post on the thread you can just instant message me. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18chatch83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 93 vx hatch that I bought from a guy without a motor. The DMV told me that to get it transferred into my name I have to make it operable and have it smogged. well I have a JDM B18c motor that I put in it before I went to do the transfer and it won't pass smog by any means imaginable. Now I have a different situation I guess I can deal with but the thing is to get it operable and smogged with a d series motor would take a lot of pain and I don't want to go through it. I leave for Florida in 6 weeks and if someone could help me out I would appreciate it. The motor came out of a 92 civic cx so what I have been doing is using the vin and registration from that car on my 93 vx, my 92 had florida tags. If I can't get a smog then I'm probably just gonna use that registration for the rest of the time I have that car and sand down the vin number underneath the hood, and peel of the vin in the car. I have the vin tag on the dash still so if I get pulled over that's what they'll look at. If someone could help me out I'd appreciate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tampering with vin's typically results in a full vehicle inspection, i wouldn't do it...either swap in a stock d-series for smog, or have paperwork ready for the GSR, and make sure you have all your emissions ducks in a row before you see the ref... getting it B.A.R'd is the way to go, especially with cops in san diego notorious for hood-popping... vin tampering is the wrong way to go
Old 05-24-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Re: SMOG Help (thahuhstunna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

tampering with vin's typically results in a full vehicle inspection, i wouldn't do it...either swap in a stock d-series for smog, or have paperwork ready for the GSR, and make sure you have all your emissions ducks in a row before you see the ref... getting it B.A.R'd is the way to go, especially with cops in san diego notorious for hood-popping... vin tampering is the wrong way to go</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah I am not getting it smogged or bar'd because I already have florida tags, they don't require smog, also I am moving back to Florida in 6 weeks...I wouldn't even entertain the option of tampering with vin's if I was going to be staying in Cali.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18chatch83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nah I am not getting it smogged or bar'd because I already have florida tags, they don't require smog, also I am moving back to Florida in 6 weeks...I wouldn't even entertain the option of tampering with vin's if I was going to be staying in Cali.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ tampering with vin's anywhere is going to get you messed with... even if you sand down the vin on the firewall and re-stamp you'd still notice
Old 05-24-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Re: SMOG Help (thahuhstunna)

Not only would you be breaking California law, but Federal law as well don't risk jail time or fines to save a few bucks.