Old 02-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog failed nox

i live in socal

my smog numbers were fine except for NO @ 25MPH

i have a d15b7 with a d16a6 cam and an adjustable cam gear
also, 2.25 piping with a new cat

don't ask me to search because i have and couldnt find anything that specailly pertains to failing @ 25 mph NO.

also, high nox levels may be due to running lean, but my question is what would cause a stock motor (basically) to run lean and if so how can i make it rich without installing a fpr or something

in regards to timing i had already retarded it to 14btdc from 16btdc.
new plugs/wires/dist cap/rotor
fresh oil change

running 87 octane and i boned out hard right before the smog test

my car doesn't overheat

i need somebody to tell me what the problems can be so i can get my tags renewed

edit i dont know if this will help but let's see.. if i turn off my car then try to turn it back on within like 5 seconds or so it will start up but then stall out.

Modified by jerbear! at 10:05 PM 2/27/2006
Old 02-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failed nox (jerbear!)

Actually NoX is not necessarily caused by a lean condition but actually from the combustion chamber being too hot. Nox forms at like 2500 degress F. When your motor leans out then the combustion gets hotter.

Also to answer your question usually when you want to richen up your fuel mixture you need to use a different ecu. Maybe because you are using a different cam your not getting enough fuel. Maybe you should try a p28?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

although my timing reads at 14 btdc, since i have an adjustable cam gear.. the timing for the gear is still advanced, would retarding the cam gear or making it to tdc make the timing too retarded? or is it worth a try.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

How is the relative condition of the engine? Filters? Fuel pump? Because your engine might be starving of fuel.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hazw8st)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hazw8st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is the relative condition of the engine? Filters? Fuel pump? Because your engine might be starving of fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

engine is fine. has 130k on it and had timing belt/water pump/thermostat/fuel filter and all that good stuff done at 100K when i first bought the car.

how can the motor be starving of fuel if it is stock?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't know. Hit me up via PM, and I can shoot you a couple of ideas.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem when i smogged my b16 a few months back. I had adjustable cam gears and had them set at aroun 4 degrees (dont ask why), I tuned them to 0 degrees and changed my O2 sensor (which was bad) and passed perfectly. Try the cam degree setting, and if that doesn't work consider getting a new O2 sensor, I got a used one from a junk yard for cheap and it worked. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failed nox (sagron69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sagron69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a similar problem when i smogged my b16 a few months back. I had adjustable cam gears and had them set at aroun 4 degrees (dont ask why), I tuned them to 0 degrees and changed my O2 sensor (which was bad) and passed perfectly. Try the cam degree setting, and if that doesn't work consider getting a new O2 sensor, I got a used one from a junk yard for cheap and it worked. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the smog center marked me as 14 btdc however my gear timing is still 2 degrees advanced.. should i set my gear timing to 0 or maybe even slightly retard?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Set it to 0 degrees, the d16 cam at 0 degrees should be as close to stock as you can hope for. This is all trial and error, it worked for me and may also work for you. If setting the degrees to 0 doesn't help try replacing the O2 sensor or furtherly retarding the cam gear.

Also, when you are running the car on the smog dyno, is it fully warmed up or slightly cold?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failed nox (sagron69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sagron69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Set it to 0 degrees, the d16 cam at 0 degrees should be as close to stock as you can hope for. This is all trial and error, it worked for me and may also work for you. If setting the degrees to 0 doesn't help try replacing the O2 sensor or furtherly retarding the cam gear.

Also, when you are running the car on the smog dyno, is it fully warmed up or slightly cold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a d16a6 cam which requires to have an adjustable cam gear since the cam will make your belt off a couple teeth. nevertheless i'll try setting the gear itself to 0.

also, the car was fully warmed up and im sure the cat was too due to my spirited drive one minute before the smog test.

about the o2 sensor, i replaced my o2 sensor with my other civic which has a newer sensor on and i still failed.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am very close to passing right now, my HC was 2 points above at 25mph, on my last ref visit. But, when my NOX was high, I talked to this smog station repair guy and he was kind enough to give me this info.

Just because the car doesn't overheat, doesn't mean it's not running too hot. His suggestions were:
- Lower temp thermostat (I got a Spoon Sports one)
- Platinum Spark plugs (I put NGK Iridium ones)

I also put in some Redline Watter Wetter, to make sure thet coolant is working as hard as it can.

These things worked for me. They brought my NOX down from 782 to 225. They are not cheap, but they are not throwaway items after smog. Of course, this is assuming you have a functional cat and the rest of your emissions system is up to spec.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failed nox (EG6_GUY)

sounds like fuel starve. fuel isnt only combustable. it also helps to cool the delivery system. a new ECU is a must when doing any swap. and a fpr for 140 bucks is worth it when doing anything to make your car faster.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failed nox (imskatencrzy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imskatencrzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like fuel starve. fuel isnt only combustable. it also helps to cool the delivery system. a new ECU is a must when doing any swap. and a fpr for 140 bucks is worth it when doing anything to make your car faster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So many people overlook that in their swaps.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: smog failed nox (JeffBro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffBro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually NoX is not necessarily caused by a lean condition but actually from the combustion chamber being too hot. Nox forms at like 2500 degress F. When your motor leans out then the combustion gets hotter.

Also to answer your question usually when you want to richen up your fuel mixture you need to use a different ecu. Maybe because you are using a different cam your not getting enough fuel. Maybe you should try a p28?</TD></TR></TABLE>

also make sure your cam gear is straight up, and put your timming to stock.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nox @ 15mph = 189
nox @ 25mph = 1731

does that help?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerbear! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nox @ 15mph = 189
nox @ 25mph = 1731

does that help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn. High combustion temperatures.....
Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: smog failed nox (JeffBro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffBro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually NoX is not necessarily caused by a lean condition but actually from the combustion chamber being too hot. Nox forms at like 2500 degress F. When your motor leans out then the combustion gets hotter.

Also to answer your question usually when you want to richen up your fuel mixture you need to use a different ecu. Maybe because you are using a different cam your not getting enough fuel. Maybe you should try a p28?</TD></TR></TABLE>

look at what you wrote. lean conditions cause the combustion temps to go up. rich conditions cools the temperature. how does the combustion chamber get hot?it could be a clogged fuel filter and timing, put everything back to zero

Old 02-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hazw8st)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hazw8st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn. High combustion temperatures.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

it was worse before

before i got my new cat, nox @ 15mph and 25mph = 2700!

now that i changed my cat and retarded the ignition timing to 14btdc im getting 189 and 1731
Old 02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failed nox (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

look at what you wrote. lean conditions cause the combustion temps to go up. rich conditions cools the temperature. how does the combustion chamber get hot?it could be a clogged fuel filter and timing, put everything back to zero

</TD></TR></TABLE>

what are signs of a clogged fuel filter?

Old 02-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerbear! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what are signs of a clogged fuel filter?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fuel filters are easy and inexpensive to exchange. I have always installed fuel pressure gages in my whips.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mmmm okay, bump
Old 02-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for jerbear!......
Old 03-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump in the booty
Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerbear! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump in the booty</TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah! Lil Jon kinda voice!

Quick Reply: smog failed nox