Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Skunk 2 Manifold, Now Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk 2 Manifold, Now Check Engine Light

i just finished putting in my skunk2 Intake Manifold on my b18c (92 si hatch)... Followed the directions.. and now the check engine light is on... it turned on even b4 starting the car and continued to stay on... the car seems to be running really well and strong..

My friend had used a wire to jump the code.. and it is flashing One....
looked in the honda book he got from a dealer and it says the #1 code is for the O2 sensor.. then i went to check if it was plugged in.. and it is.

Any help? and if it is the o2 sensor, will that stop me from the motor reaching full potential?
Old 03-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk 2 Manifold, Now Check Engine Light (spooncivic28)

The only thing I can think of is my problem I had with my skunk2 intake manifold. I put it in my 99 si (b16a2) and in the process I broke my knock sensor somehow. It instantly threw a code. But you said it was o2. Other than knock I have no idea. Maybe check all the o2 componets???
Old 03-17-2006, 10:57 PM

that code that you think is #1 is actually code #10... check your IAT sensor, since you def. had to unplug and remove durring your swap you could have damaged it... i had mine mixed up with the purge solenoid and got the same thing. I was confused just like you cause it only blinked once so i thought it was 1, but i noticed it was a long flash n not a short... hence 10 n not 1... I hope this helps, let me know!
Old 03-17-2006, 10:58 PM

in short, swap the plugs of the IAT and PURGE SOLENOID and you should be good
Old 03-18-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Re: (spracer03)

yeah that happened when i 1st did my swap.
i tried switching the two plugs but it still showed the CEL.
now a little bit of info i forgot to mention... i dont know the name of the sensor but its got two small screws on each side and its a small little metal rod that sticks out.(sorry for the bad description) but yeah when i took it out of the old manifold the tip looked like it blew up and melted over... so i tried taking one from a SOHC manifold i had laying around.. another thing, when i did the skunk 2 Int.M swap. it told me i had to take the black little box(sorry dont know the name of this sensor) and by pass it and just take the sensor out.. maybe i didn't connect the vacuum lines correctly???

Im gonna try to get a pic of the sensor that melted..

not to sure if the picture is gonna show but here is the weblink http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users...MDCjK
Old 03-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spracer03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that code that you think is #1 is actually code #10... check your IAT sensor, since you def. had to unplug and remove durring your swap you could have damaged it... i had mine mixed up with the purge solenoid and got the same thing. I was confused just like you cause it only blinked once so i thought it was 1, but i noticed it was a long flash n not a short... hence 10 n not 1... I hope this helps, let me know!</TD></TR></TABLE>

this sounds correct.

I remember when I threw in my CAI. Though I had the AIT plugged in all the way, but it wasnt and fell out in my long bumpy driveway. I get to the end of the driveway and the car was coaking itself.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:29 AM

02 is a very important part in engine management. If it's messed up or the computers not understanding what its saying your engine will suffer. I used to have a 92 teg and it had 1xx,xxx on it, if you take a blow tourch and tourch some of the carbon off of it, however do NOT USE CLEANER ON IT!, good luck.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Skunk 2 Manifold, Now Check Engine Light (michaelmezz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by michaelmezz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">02 is a very important part in engine management. If it's messed up or the computers not understanding what its saying your engine will suffer. I used to have a 92 teg and it had 1xx,xxx on it, if you take a blow tourch and tourch some of the carbon off of it, however do NOT USE CLEANER ON IT!, good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think we're all telling him there isnt anything wrong with his O2 and it in fact is his Intake Air Temperature sensor... untill he verifies that the code he's flashing is a short flash and not a long one..

OP you gonna try to fix it today so i can know if you're all good to go?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (spooncivic28)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know the name of the sensor but its got two small screws on each side and its a small little metal rod that sticks out.(sorry for the bad description) but yeah when i took it out of the old manifold the tip looked like it blew up and melted over... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just read your post again in detail, the lil sensor you're talking about is whats most likely causing your CEL, make sure its plugged into the right connector, and make sure you replace it with a working one
Old 03-18-2006, 04:59 PM

thanks alot for the help..
it was the plugs... there was three plugs that all look the same and they were just flip flopped..
is it normal after changing the Intake manifold to hear a whistel when you 1st give it gas?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just finished putting in my skunk2 Intake Manifold on my b18c (92 si hatch)... Followed the directions.. and now the check engine light is on... it turned on even b4 starting the car and continued to stay on... the car seems to be running really well and strong..

My friend had used a wire to jump the code.. and it is flashing One....
looked in the honda book he got from a dealer and it says the #1 code is for the O2 sensor.. then i went to check if it was plugged in.. and it is.

Any help? and if it is the o2 sensor, will that stop me from the motor reaching full potential?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You need to hook up that black sensor that sits on top of the original gsr intake manifold when you hook it back up no more check engine light.