Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i buy this???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy this???

A 92 civic hatch cx with a b16a delsol engine and a 95 gsr transmission. I guess the engine has 110k on it and the trans has 50k. The car itself has 120,000 with a little rust on the rear fenders.

I test drove it yesterday, it felt faster than my gsr and the trans felt awesome but it kinda looked like a hack job. It was missing the a/c and had no air filter whatsoever. It was just the intake manifold and the engine and trans and he was driving it to work everyday!

The seller said he swapped the ecu from the delsol but the fuel pump was from the civic. Is that a problem?

Also, it had no low end power at all but I think thats due to the missing c.a.i. and a huge exhaust pipe. Once it hit vtec it took off like a bat out of hell and pulled strong all the way to redline.

Its got the stock delsol exhaust manifold but after that its got a 3" pipe (i could be wrong but its big) all the way to the muffler which is also aftermarket and is loud as hell (another thing I don't care for)

Its also got dc sports front and rear sway bars. He's asking 4500.

I'll be watching this post so if anyone has any advice or questions i'll post back quickly.

Thanks!

joeD
Old 05-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: should i buy this??? (joeD)

The reason is felt faster than your gsr is because it is in the cx hatch, the lightest chassis. The mileage is a little steep, yet that is your call. If you said it looked like a hackjob, then it might not be worth it. You never know how he drove or handled the car. Price seems reasonable, that is if everything is running proper.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:14 AM

I am looking for a daily driver that I can do some more work to. I was going to try doing the same swap anyway. If I buy it like this I can spend more money on suspension upgrades and body work and it will save me some time.

btw, was i right in assuming that after putting a c.a.i and a more restrictive exhuast on it I would get more low end?

thanks.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joeD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joeD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If I buy it like this I can spend more money on suspension upgrades and body work and it will save me some time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or if it is a Hack job you might end up spending more money getting things back the way they should have been in the first place

I say take it to a shop and have them do a little inspection on it.
Might cost like $50 but they should be able to tell you just about everything that is wrong with it
Old 05-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (joeD)

yeah smaller exhaust piping will give you more low end torque but i'm not too sure about the cai
Old 05-27-2004, 09:39 AM

about taking it to a shop... I'm actually going to meet the kid right now at my mechanics shop and we're going to check it out.

Thanks for the help, i'll let you know what happens afterward.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i buy this??? (joeD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joeD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, it had no low end power at all but I think thats due to the missing c.a.i. and a huge exhaust pipe. Once it hit vtec it took off like a bat out of hell and pulled strong all the way to redline.

joeD</TD></TR></TABLE>

The B16 doesn't have much bottom end, with the 1.6.