Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Shifter/Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter/Bushings

Hey guys,

I have a 98 Dx Coupe. So my stock shifter is giving me problems. When I am going into 3rd and 4th I hear rattling noises that sounds like metal clinging together.

I figure it's the bushings. I am not too sure but that's what makes sense.

So what I was wondering about was if I get a short shifter or even an oem shifter will that fix the problem? Or will I have to replace all the bushings and the rubber pieces? If so then what brand or site would you recommend getting them from?

TL;DR

what is the best short throw shifter to get for my car that isn't an obnoxious price?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Short Shifter/Bushings

You may just have to replace the bushings/washers/bolt and nut...cheap. Firstly, I would check to see if your exhaust heat shield has been bent towards your shifter, if so...readjust...if not, new bushings,also grease. ( try out www.hondaautomotiveparts.com <---Majestic Honda, decent parts discount, stick with oem for oem.)

a short shifter will change the height of the lower pivot point, i doubt that will fix/cause the problem if its the heat shield, aside from being a new shifter with new bushings/a bearing...at that point, its up to personal preference.

as for a cheap shifter...i wouldnt cheap out...ive seen some of the cheaper aluminum shift arms just break right off, or strip out the **** threads...etc. and random cheap product hell. If you dont want to go stock and just inspect for damage and replace bushings, and you are dead set on aftermarket...get a decent shifter (Skunk2 double bend or something like that).
Old 09-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MisereNoire
You may just have to replace the bushings/washers/bolt and nut...cheap. Firstly, I would check to see if your exhaust heat shield has been bent towards your shifter, if so...readjust...if not, new bushings,also grease. ( try out Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store <---Majestic Honda, decent parts discount, stick with oem for oem.)

a short shifter will change the height of the lower pivot point, i doubt that will fix/cause the problem if its the heat shield, aside from being a new shifter with new bushings/a bearing...at that point, its up to personal preference.

as for a cheap shifter...i wouldnt cheap out...ive seen some of the cheaper aluminum shift arms just break right off, or strip out the **** threads...etc. and random cheap product hell. If you dont want to go stock and just inspect for damage and replace bushings, and you are dead set on aftermarket...get a decent shifter (Skunk2 double bend or something like that).
Well I do not have a heat shield because I ran a full exhaust on my car and I ripped it off.

I found this on ebay which is what I think you're talking about but that is pretty expensive: Complete Honda Civic Shifter Bushing Kit | eBay

those are all the components to rebuild my shifter now i'm assuming?

now if you were in my shoes, what would you think is the best thing to do?

i know that it's not the heat shield for a fact as, like i said, i don't have one so i am open to other things.

i can feel the shift **** shaking and rattle when the throttle is open.

it's hard to explain but do you think i should:

a) buy the rebuild kit and rebuild my current shifter

or

b) buy the rebuild kit + an aftermarket short shifter?

Thanks for the input guy.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump

help please
Old 09-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for Energy suspension shifter bushing kit, its more durable and makes shifting more precise than OEM. Then get an aftermarket short throw shifter.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

okay, i checked Majestic Hondas price for that same part set...$54.14 shipped US. cheaper than that ebay package, which you can use as a reference for what to get...

an aftermarket shifter will require none of that save:
92201-08050-0H BOLT, HEX. (8X50)
90115-659-003 NUT, SELF-LOCK (8MM) (CLINCH)
54306-SH3-000 RUBBER, EXTENSION MOUNTING
54303-SF4-000 RUBBER, EXTENSION END
54309-S01-A01 COLLAR, EXTENSION END
if you need them at all.

Firstly, I would get myself under that car, and physically inspect that shifter pivot to see if your play is really coming from there...it could just be worn linkage end bushings, or loose bolts...you NEED to inspect the entire shifter linkage assembly before haphazardly buying any parts.

all that being said...you will spend much less for the rebuild parts list than for a decent shifter, and it DOES come down to preference...not everyone likes a short throw.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MisereNoire
okay, i checked Majestic Hondas price for that same part set...$54.14 shipped US. cheaper than that ebay package, which you can use as a reference for what to get...

an aftermarket shifter will require none of that save:
92201-08050-0H BOLT, HEX. (8X50)
90115-659-003 NUT, SELF-LOCK (8MM) (CLINCH)
54306-SH3-000 RUBBER, EXTENSION MOUNTING
54303-SF4-000 RUBBER, EXTENSION END
54309-S01-A01 COLLAR, EXTENSION END
if you need them at all.

Firstly, I would get myself under that car, and physically inspect that shifter pivot to see if your play is really coming from there...it could just be worn linkage end bushings, or loose bolts...you NEED to inspect the entire shifter linkage assembly before haphazardly buying any parts.

all that being said...you will spend much less for the rebuild parts list than for a decent shifter, and it DOES come down to preference...not everyone likes a short throw.
I have an unknown short shifter(bought it with one) that had the same issue. rattle would be heard at around 3k rpm in 5th gear as well as alot during the lower gears while down shifting or revving from 3-4k

I first bought the energy suspension bushings. that did little to nothing to solve the issue i was having.

I then tried replacing the bolt, and o rings and it works beautifuly right now. the joint bushing did not fit with my short shifter.
i bought these parts

joint collar (54117-SH3-000) $9.46
4x orings (91303-HA0-004) $3.44
hex bolt (92201-08050-0H) $0.81
self locking nut (90115-659-003) $0.29
2x thrust washer (54105-692-010) $5.64
2x joint bushing (54107-SA0-010) $7.24 **i did not need these for my shifter**

so total was about 30+ shipping and handling.

solved my problem wonderfuly.