Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shock Removal: Impact gun okay to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Removal: Impact gun okay to use?

I bought a set of springs/shocks from a guy on here and I am trying to put them on my car. I spent a couple hours yesterday trying to take the 17mm bolt from the fork/lca out, but ended up breaking 2 ratchets in the process.

I was wondering if it would be alright to use an impact gun to remove it, or am I running a high risk of breaking the head off of the bolt.

Another thing that I don't get is that the right front of my car sits up about an inch/inch and a half higher than the left. The car was in an accident before I bought it and I was wondering if that might be a bent frame, funky shocks, or wrong replacement parts.

TYIA,
Nick
Old 04-19-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Shock Removal: Impact gun okay to use? (nota-ex)

nick... yeah you can use a gun for the 17mm bolts... but when you put it back on. hand tighten it first.. just so you dont strip it.. and yeah your frame MIGHT be bent somewhere... look under the frame and look for little marks on the metal... or something...

have fun and good luck.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Shock Removal: Impact gun okay to use? (al3e)

Thanks a lot. I was planning on hand tightning them, then doing the final tightening with a torque wrench. Just have to get over to my friend's house.

Also picked up a bottle of PB blaster and anti-seize so hopefully they won't seize up again.

I can see all the parts they replaced because they all have orange marking paint on them.

If you jack up your car, have the E-brake on, and then put the jack back down, does the frame of the car seem to sit higher until you take the e-brake off?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a impact no problem. But just make sure your taking off the bolt that turns. There is a self tap nut on the other side of some pieces.... you would be suprsied as to how many people actually try taking that off.

Also for your question, yes the car will sit a little higher, not alot and not much to care, until you put the E brake down.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you jack up your car, have the E-brake on, and then put the jack back down, does the frame of the car seem to sit higher until you take the e-brake off?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes and i used an impact to get mine off
Old 04-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Shock Removal: Impact gun okay to use? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use a impact no problem. But just make sure your taking off the bolt that turns. There is a self tap nut on the other side of some pieces.... you would be suprsied as to how many people actually try taking that off.

Also for your question, yes the car will sit a little higher, not alot and not much to care, until you put the E brake down. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean a self-tap nut? The bolt that goes through the fork/lca and bushing has a self taping nut? So just undo the bolt and the nut will come off itself?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Shock Removal: Impact gun okay to use? (Luserkid)

haha yeah also the e brake..