Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shipping a Tranny Who, What, Were, and How?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a Tranny Who, What, Were, and How?

I need to ship a tranny but i have never shipped anything this big or heavy. What places are usually cheapest and HOW did you ship it? IE: packing,Etc.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Shipping a Tranny Who, What, Were, and How? (jlamaster)

try airborne express... or yellow freight (having a shipping account is best)

Old 09-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it weighs under 150lbs ups will shipp for under $100

shipped a block it weighed just under 150lbs

o and it has to be boxed up
Old 09-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tbone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I figured I would share how I ship my blocks when needed.
First I get a 2x2 tv box double thick from uhaul

Then I cut a piece of wood to fit the bottom of the box.

Then I go to home depot and get fomular insulation and cut to size.

I then place metal banding from a banding machine into the box

I then place the cut piece of wood in over the banding.

Now place 2 pieces of cut fomular into the box over the wood.

Two!!!

Now the box is ready to be loaded.
I like to place a cloth then cardboard over the deck to protect it and keep it from ripping the contractors grade garbage bag that I put the motor in.

I now then CAREFULLY place the block in the box DECK surface down(dont worry its protected by the wood and 2 layers of fomular + the cloth and cardboard.

This time I filled small cardboard boxes with foam peanuts for filler, because the boxes are so small, it makes them hard to crush.

Next I band the motor down and crimp the locks tightly. Now the motor is attached to the wood on the bottom of the box and cant move . Be sure to shim whatever it is you use to secure the motor down(if you dont have access to a banding crimp) so it doesnt damage your oil pan.

Now cut and line the inside walls of the box with the fomular.

Pack it in good and tight &lt;IMG NAME="icon" SRC="http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emsmilep.gif" BORDER="0"&gt;

Now close it up real good with a 100 rolls of tape &lt;IMG NAME="icon" SRC="http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emcrook.gif" BORDER="0"&gt;
And your ready to ship.
This was done with a b18c bottom end(ge sleeves) and with all the packing material it weighed 154lbs, the bare bottom end weighed 138.
Just make sure you tell the ups guy its about 148 lbs because there limit is 150.
Make sure you insure it also.

Hope this helps everyone &lt;IMG NAME="icon" SRC="http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emsmile.gif" BORDER="0"&gt;

[Modified by Tbone, 7:12 PM 9/18/2002]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Found this a while back, thought it might apply here. Unfortunately, it looks like the pics no longer work, hmmm. Well, hopefully the description is enough. Here is the original thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=283538
Old 09-20-2003, 11:17 AM

At my work we have an account with Airborne Express. I shipped an Accord EX auto tranmission from New Jersey to Texas for $60. With the trans all boxed up it weighed 190lbs. Prolly one of the heaviest Honda transmission Ive had at my house. Make sure you try and get as much of the tranny fluid drained before you ship it. What I did was drain as much of the fluid as possible. Then I shrunk the tranny real good, basically equivalent to how a swap is shrunk wrapped when you get it delievered to your house. Then after I shrunk wrapped it I put it inside one of those heavy duty black garbage bags. After that I made a box. Just make sure you but enough stuffing around the tranny in the box so it doesnt bounce around that much. Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I shipped them fedex or ups. Just get measurements, weight, and see how much it'll cost you. I shipped b16 tranny from west to east cost and it cost me $90 with $700 insurance.

Yager-
Old 09-20-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Shipping a Tranny Who, What, Were, and How? (ImportHatch)

what is the best way to package them up? would i have to put a wood frame in a box to ship it?
Old 09-20-2003, 06:28 PM

I shipped one via UPS in a box with a wooden frame from GA to NY for $58. It weighed 85 lbs and was a 95 ex tranny.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Shipping a Tranny Who, What, Were, and How? (fire7882)

mine came from cali in a big tv box... inside the box was some packing material(foam or whatever) and it was shrink wrapped inside one of those plastic mail bins... I thought that was a clever idea....
Old 09-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shipping a Tranny Who, What, Were, and How? (boywonda)

i shipped user urname7698 a tranny. I think this is the best way to do it. I drained all the fluid out of it, took everything off of it, and wrapped the tranny alone in saran wrap and taped all the shap things off. This way they will be forced to treat it nicely. I then took the rest of the things, lines and cylinder and put it in a box and shipped it. Cost me $40 to ship the tranny and $5 to ship the box. Fed Ex ground from SC to AZ. He will tell you that the tranny came with out any of the saran wrap being fugged up at all.