Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

shift linkage or tranny? having problems!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift linkage or tranny? having problems!

My car wont go into first gear sometimes. It would be so hard to put it in gear that i have to shove it in. Most of the time it doesnt do that though. Also second gear does the same thing but never in 3rd or 4th or 5th, but in a rare occasion it does it in reverse. Could it be that my tranny is grinding ? keep in mind that it doesnt do this all the time. I was thinking that it could be my shift linkage ,but i dont have any idea of what it would be. any ideas? Also i have a little play in my clutch, and one day i decided to rev my car up in first gear with my foot on the clutch and it moved a little bit. oh yeah its a b18b in a 92 cx. any ideas?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage or tranny? having problems! (LagunaSecaEG)

are you talking about putting it in gear from a stop of downshifting?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: shift linkage or tranny? having problems! (MikeD718)

Are you running a hydraulic clutch setup or cable? If it's hydraulic, check to see if you're clutch master cylinder is full of fluid and also check to make sure that your slave cylinder isn't leaking. If it's a cable tranaxle, check to see if you can adjust your cable any farther to take excess slack you may have. Keep in mind, you are supposed to have some clutch pedal freeplay (approximately 1/4" - 1/2").
Old 03-23-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: shift linkage or tranny? having problems! (r3dh4tch)

Oh.. and one other thing. If you said that when you had the clutch pedal pressed to the floor and you revved the car up and it moved, you definately aren't getting the clutch and the pressure plate completely disengaged. That is the reason you aren't able to get into gear easily.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage or tranny? having problems! (MikeD718)

If you mean when you're rolling to a stop and trying to put it into first gear, stop it. That's specifically designed that way, i think you have to be going <10mph to get it in, and even then it's sometimes difficult. Reverse is sometimes hard too, I don't think anything's wrong with your tranny or shift linkage.

And you said when you're clutch was in you revved it up and the clutch moved a tiny bit? I don't think that's anything to worry about either. But I guess it depends on how much it moves.

Now if it starts getting harder to get into gears, and to the point where when you're sitting at a light and it won't go into gear with the car on and the clutch in, but it will with the car off, then it's the clutch.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: shift linkage or tranny? having problems! (******)

The reason that reverse gear grinds sometimes is because it's a non-synchronized gear. If he is having trouble getting into gear, his clutch isn't disengaging all the way and how you can confirm that is by when he said he had the clutch pedal to the floor and he revved it up and the car moved. The clutch disc and the pressure plate are still making contact because that's the only way that the car would be able to move. I've had this problem before with leaky slave cylinders. If you have air in your hydraulic lines going to your clutch, or your clutch master cylinder is empty, you're not going to get full clutch disengagement. Also, if it's a cable transaxle and you have your cable adjusted all the way down and you still can't get it to completely disengage, then your cable is stretched. But this usually only is a problem with increased clamping capacity pressure plates because they take more force to disengage them and stock cables weren't designed for that. But usually if it's just a mild or stock aftermarket replacement clutch, you should have any problems with the cable stretching (they're pretty beefy)
Old 03-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage or tranny? having problems! (r3dh4tch)

So when you say

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LagunaSecaEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one day i decided to rev my car up in first gear with my foot on the clutch and it moved a little bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean by it moved a little bit. The clutch or the car. I thought you meant the clutch, others seem to think you mean the car.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shift linkage or tranny? having problems! (******)

the car jerked. If im at a light and i rev it to about 3500 it would jerk. I noticed that one day my clutch had a little play it in. its a hydraulic clutch. the day before the clutch was fine. and it now seems as if 1-3gears are harder to go in. And my shifter feels like it has a lot of play. like when its in first gear i can move it to the left and right pretty far. I put the energy suspension shifter bushings in and it tightened it a little. but i still dont know what it could be. You are saying maybe my slavecylinder is leaking?