Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

and she finally dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default and she finally dies

today my car decided to be a bitch and take a crap on me, i had a d16y8 (more or less stock, intake and exhaust) and shes done, ill pull the motor apart tomorrow to see if shes repairable or not, but now im trying to decide whether to do a swap for a bigger motor, or replace the Dirty D. and how much i could part out what i have with this motor like the ecu, water pump, wiring harness, ect. I wanna do something kinda cheap, less than 2-3k but still be reliable and get good gas mileage. This will be my first motor swap in my own personal car. any help will be appreciated (no h22's.. IMO theyre a waste of time and money)
Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: and she finally dies

h2b

whould be prettty bad *** in there

You need to search

there is your same question many times

SEARCH!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with that price range i would look at doing an ls swap, maybe a gsr if you can get an exceptional deal.

dare i ask what happened to the y8.. did it spin a rod bearing by chance lol?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
with that price range i would look at doing an ls swap, maybe a gsr if you can get an exceptional deal.

why yes it did lol cylinder number one i do belive, which is where the knock comes from, it started off earlier today, and i had college classes so i had to drive the car, and it got worse and now is loud as crap, she still runs, but cannot idle at all, i wonder why that is? (sarcasm lol)
Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LastGenEK
h2b

whould be prettty bad *** in there

You need to search

there is your same question many times

SEARCH!!!!

ive tried searching, but i like more "personalized" answers from people who know what they're talking about, i searched and came up with guys who dont know crap about hondas or motors. im a D15/16 and B16 guy, never had another motor and maybe wanna try something new.. I've always wanted a B16B but too expensive for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another y8,z6,zc+boost, b16, b18b, b18c1, k20, k24
Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alphalanos
another y8,z6,zc+boost, b16, b18b, b18c1, k20, k24
will it be worth it to try and salvage what i have of my motor and attemp to rebuild what broke? or just to buy a new one? or low comp, sleeves, headwork and boost? or buy a new one, put it in my car, keep the motor that spun a rod, and rebuild it and boost? so many questions trying to get even more answers. also somehow my speed sensor broke and my spedo is going all crazy. wheel hop maybe and a wire snapped?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ehh, its possible. just check over the connector and see if any of the wires are loose or are partially pulled out.

as far as what you should do engine wise, that all depends on what you want. how long can the car be down and how much money can/are you willing to spend? you could rebuild the engine yes. so long as you stop driving it and you don't punch a hole through the block lol. you'll be able to install a new/used z6 crank and bearings in it and be good to go. maybe replace the one rod if it was chewed up. i say z6 crank because it will be less likely to cause a spun rod bearing in the future. z6's have 2 oiling holes per bearing where as the y-series engines have one.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ehh, its possible. just check over the connector and see if any of the wires are loose or are partially pulled out.

as far as what you should do engine wise, that all depends on what you want. how long can the car be down and how much money can/are you willing to spend? you could rebuild the engine yes. so long as you stop driving it and you don't punch a hole through the block lol. you'll be able to install a new/used z6 crank and bearings in it and be good to go. maybe replace the one rod if it was chewed up. i say z6 crank because it will be less likely to cause a spun rod bearing in the future. z6's have 2 oiling holes per bearing where as the y-series engines have one.

right now the car is parked in my driveway where it will remain until i order whatever parts i need. i think im gonna just buy a D16y8 cheap, pull my motor and rebuild as my race car motor, that way ill have a Daily Driver and whenever i want a race car, ill take a day or two and just swap the motor. take more time, but its what i like to do lol love working on these things, one day i wanna learn how to tune hondata. i have the program on my computer, dont even have the s300 yet, just like lookin at the features and playin around. dont seem hard to find a base tune, but for the little tweeks i'll go find a dyno and tuner
Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with 3k ucan get b16head gsr block with b16 trans. not too expensive and it can be quick
Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3k will get you 200whp easy with the right parts and a good tune. do your HW and do some searching on builds.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my gsr swap for around $2400 for EVERYTHING, including fluids and a few parts I had to replace before I installed it (axles, clutch, and resurfaced flywheel).

Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i say get a low mileage block, vitaras, sleeve it and then boost it. that or just swap in an ls u can get the whole swap for a bit less than 1k so u can have some money left to build a mild ls vtec.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i say go b-series, i got my b16 swap for less than 2k installed, the only thing i didnt do were axles which i will be sourcing soon, more than likely from autozone
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92shade
i say get a low mileage block, vitaras, sleeve it and then boost it.
no real need to sleeve it unless you're aiming for higher than 450hp or so. keep in mind there are builds/vids of stock sleeved blocks making quite a bit more than that. here's one :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CvdlJLes4
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wanna keep single cam? Wanna go bigger? F22 baby!!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a perfectly good 100k mile Y8 in my coupe, and it's coming out within the next few weeks. I'm not a fan of the D series. In my OPINION money vs. power B series is the way to go factoring in reliability. I currently have a GSR trans, LS block, and built GSR head and i'm putting the finishing touches on the motor then droping it in. I'm hoping for around 200 WHP after a good tune.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B20 Turbo w/ a tune.

Need some inspirations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DZjFHAj0QQ
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love that vid ! lol

made me consider for a moment to do a b20 + boost in my ej6. but... i ran some numbers and determined that for less money i can make a lot more power with a built vitara z6. so that's what i'm gonna do lol
Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think im going with an h22 with h2b.. sounds like a good idea for the money but im not sure what all i'll have to do with the swap other than motor, tranny, and ecu. any thing else i'll need?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cmamtower
i think im going with an h22 with h2b.. sounds like a good idea for the money but im not sure what all i'll have to do with the swap other than motor, tranny, and ecu. any thing else i'll need?
axles... mounts.. shifter assembly.. quite a few other things also. swapping B or especially staying D would be a lot simpler, just throwing that out there.

and if you start your thread thinking H swaps are "a waste of time and money", to wanting another D, to wanting to go H2B i think you need to put some serious consideration into what you want in the long run before you spend a large amount of money. but to whatever you do, good luck and make it fly
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hickle
axles... mounts.. shifter assembly.. quite a few other things also. swapping B or especially staying D would be a lot simpler, just throwing that out there.

and if you start your thread thinking H swaps are "a waste of time and money", to wanting another D, to wanting to go H2B i think you need to put some serious consideration into what you want in the long run before you spend a large amount of money. but to whatever you do, good luck and make it fly

im going to get a b16a2 and swap into it, its a minor upgrade from what i have now, but in the long run it'll be cheaper and probably 100x more reliable, my car is lowered and the oil pan on the h22 will scrape on flat ground in my car. i can do a b16 swap for under 2500, maybe 2k if lucky. all i need is full motor and tranny and ecu and boom done.. seems like the best idea so far and they seem to respond to bolt ons better than D series anyways. D16 to B16 seem like an alright idea? im not too into B18s or any of that. B16 seems the way to go as of now
Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup, all the (smart) H swap guys around here just have their car moderately lowered for that reason exactly.

but yes, going from a d16 to a b16 will be a nice upgrade for you stock for stock. if you do want to go B, dont completely rule out b18's... theyre quite similar in many respects to b16s, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses. im dropping in my sirII swap next week, gotta love the B
Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 20-EM2-05
B20 Turbo w/ a tune.

Need some inspirations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DZjFHAj0QQ
well that car is almost useless

i'd get bored of that REAL quick.

OP...a b16 is gutless. the good thing is they are robust, like any other b-series vtec. if you get a swap, please do yourself a favor and get it from HMO. you pay a little more but it's WELL worth it. his stuff is PRIMO, and he has your back.

but...in reality, i like a solidly built and low to medium boosted D over a swap, esp if you are considering a b16.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
if you get a swap, please do yourself a favor and get it from HMO. you pay a little more but it's WELL worth it. his stuff is PRIMO
thats where i ordered mine, ive never heard a single thing bad about the company locally or on HT. sometimes its worth it to spend more money in the beginning to save money in the long run.

Quick Reply: and she finally dies