Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shaking Steering wheel is Driving me NUTS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking Steering wheel is Driving me NUTS!

I dont know why its been happening lately. When I seem to get on the freeway at around 65mph the steering wheel starts to shake really bad like the lug nuts are loose or something but I double checked that already. It never did this before. Tires and Rims are brand new and are already balanced, I got an alignment already, and even rotated the tires. What could it be? the axels? loose motor mounts? My ride is at stock height but slightly an inch lower.

It also makes a weird clunking sound and I can actually feel the vibration of the clunk on my left foot when I set it down on the foot rest or when I'm holding down on the clutch. I have no power steering either so it vibrates like hell at around 65+mph

Specs: Skunk2 full coilovers, stock camber kits on front but not rear. Extended studs and 205/50/15" rims falken ziex. H2b motor 97 Civic Hatch
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking Steering wheel is Driving me NUTS!

Have they wheels been re balanced since you noticed the vibration? Could have lost a wheel weight.

How are the shocks? A bad shock will exaggerate a problem.

What about ball joints and tie rod ends?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by desync
Have they wheels been re balanced since you noticed the vibration? Could have lost a wheel weight.

How are the shocks? A bad shock will exaggerate a problem.
No the wheels haven't been re balanced. I figured that I barely had the wheels brand new for 2 months already and it was already balanced. I just dont want to waste money on another re balance and then find out that it wasn't the problem. Maybe I can take all 4 off and put them on my friends car and then test it out.

Originally Posted by desync
What about ball joints and tie rod ends?
What about the ball joints and tie rod ends? I also checked those when I removed my wheels. Seems like they are in place and are locked with a safety clip. Could it be my wheel bearing? Oh God I hope not
Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 PM

An wheel bearing will make more of a humming noise then shaking of the steering wheel. Does it happen during breaking or just cruising? if braking it could also be the brakes.

How you check the ball joints and tie rod ends
Ball joints- visually check them make sure they have jelly in them, and are not all ripped up, or cant be moved with out a little bit of force.
Tie Rod ends check to see if either broken right off or again if they can be turned or moved easy without mush force
Old 09-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Also could be an alignment issue
Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will try and check it tonight or tomorrow morning.. Right now Im pretty sick.. I think I have the flu but I hope its not SWINE!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem and i needed axles /shrug any shop should be able to at least check it out for free an let you know whatsup.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM

mine was doing that and i looked at the inside of my front right tire and there was a huge bulge poping out. when you run on a tire that doesnt have enough air you can get one of those.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im gona lean towards needing the wheels rebalanced. Did it start after you rotated the wheels? If it did, im willing to bet my dogs left nut that the shop never balanced one of your rear wheels. Otherwise, maybe a weight fell off, or one of your wheels are bent
Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hi ho silver
Im gona lean towards needing the wheels rebalanced. Did it start after you rotated the wheels? If it did, im willing to bet my dogs left nut that the shop never balanced one of your rear wheels. Otherwise, maybe a weight fell off, or one of your wheels are bent
well I looked at the weights on the tires and they all look good and I dont see any clean spots where the weights would be if it were to drop or fall off.. They all look pretty good on there.. Again Im going to put them on my friends car and take them out for a test drive.

Can someone explain to me a clunking noise that happens around 65mph? I start feeling it on my left foot and even on the clutch when i press it down.. its starting to scare me more and more each time.

Also my car has alot of torque, so everytime I shift gears at around 3,4krpms, it sounds as though the motor is shifting or moving around like theres a loose mount or something.. I checked many times and even had to retighten some motor mounts just in case and it still does the same thing..
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM

my friend had the same problem on his eg and it was the ball joint
Old 09-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebalance. someone might have screwed up or you lost a weight.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

i'm assuming aftermarket wheels..?

you can balance them all day long but if you don't use an pilot adapter then you're wheel will never really be centered on the hub. make sure you pick up a set if you don't have them already, then rebalance and see if that helps.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by green99civic
An wheel bearing will make more of a humming noise then shaking of the steering wheel. Does it happen during breaking or just cruising? if braking it could also be the brakes.

How you check the ball joints and tie rod ends
Ball joints- visually check them make sure they have jelly in them, and are not all ripped up, or cant be moved with out a little bit of force.
Tie Rod ends check to see if either broken right off or again if they can be turned or moved easy without mush force
its differently without a doubt the ball joint on the driver side.. its torn and all the oil leaked out!! I had to fix all the other problems first. I change axels to new ones, I made sure the motor mounts were torque down, I got my tires rebalanced. The only thing left is the ball joint and that ***** gone. Will I need to press it out with some special tool? if so how much do the ball joints or the bushings for them cost at the honda store?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Depending on if they have been replaced before, you may have to buy the hole upper control arm. If its still doing this after you get it done. I would look at the tires. My old hatch had brand new ziex's put on them and the day after, the body said that the outside belt jumped the outher belt. It looked wierd and hardly noticable
Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Upper ball joint or lower? If it's the upper ball joint, you have to replace the entire A arm assemble, which is around $128, dealer cost. Lower ball joints are cheaper, but a PITA to install. I just installed roll-center adjusters on my coupe the other day, and it took about three hours for both sides, most of that spent pressing them in.

The ball joint just hammers out with a few good whacks, should be a straight-forward install with a ball-joint press. I had to use a vice and other tools for my roll centers because they're machined to a much tighter tolerance to be a much tighter fit. you should have no problems. Suggested labor is 1.8 hours, but maybe you can get a hookup or do it yourself.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's the lower ball joint just take it to a shop for them to replace it. It's too much of a PITA to do yourself unless of course you have a ball joint press. It will take them around an hour to do, if you try to do it yourself you could spend all day doing it depending on your skill and tools.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

You can rent the tools from Autozone. Be sure to get the supplement set for Hondas along with the basic ball joint removal/installation kit. It took me less than a half hour to remove and press the new ball joint. Most of that time is to try figure out which pieces of the kit to use. Probably around the same time (30 mins) to pull everything off to expose the ball joint.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gwl
You can rent the tools from Autozone. Be sure to get the supplement set for Hondas along with the basic ball joint removal/installation kit. It took me less than a half hour to remove and press the new ball joint. Most of that time is to try figure out which pieces of the kit to use. Probably around the same time (30 mins) to pull everything off to expose the ball joint.
Yes my friend also told me to rent the tools at autozone.. and yes its the lower ball joint on the driver side so its only 1 replacement.. for 1 replacement its like $35 dollars. Man.. I will also check the tie rod ends just in case.. but the upperball joints are fine.