Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sh!t!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off......

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off......

ok i tried cleaning/polishing my stainless steel header and i was taking off and i stripped bolt i'm so lost right now what the heck should i do i need help fast...cuz im screwed i got to ge off fast and put on stock to get smogged and i need this header off omfg im in a pothole ppl ..im just dumbfound right now plz help!!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (johns_00_si)

Sorry, you have to throw the car away, its useless now.

But seriously, search. you arent the first one who stripped a bolt.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (Filliam H. Muffman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Filliam H. Muffman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, you have to throw the car away, its useless now.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA!! that's funny.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johns_00_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i tried cleaning/polishing my stainless steel header and i was taking off and i stripped bolt i'm so lost right now what the heck should i do i need help fast...cuz im screwed i got to ge off fast and put on stock to get smogged and i need this header off omfg im in a pothole ppl ..im just dumbfound right now plz help!!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you're going to throw it away, give it to me!

but no seriously, do you have a tap and die set. try to re-thread it, if that doesn't work, there is always helicoil.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (philosofy1)

if its the bolt head is stripped. they make special sockets for stripped heads
Old 12-14-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (johns_00_si)

I have done this a few times and it's not the most techhnical job but it works. If you can get to the bolt easy enough get a flat file and file a few sides so you can get a cresent wrench on it or a smaller size sochet. You have to throw it away but at least you can get it off.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (95bkeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95bkeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have done this a few times and it's not the most techhnical job but it works. If you can get to the bolt easy enough get a flat file and file a few sides so you can get a cresent wrench on it or a smaller size sochet. You have to throw it away but at least you can get it off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much what I was gonna say. File the **** out of each angle (if you know what i mean) until you can fit an adjustable wrench or maybe even a smaller socket on it. As stated by the quote...the bolt will be trash afterwards but no biggie.

Don't sweat it man, easy fix. It happens ALL the time!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (I Shot 50 Cent)

Header bolt? Does not compute. Did you mean <u>header stud</u>?

If the stud is the problem, remove the rest of the header and use vice-grips on the non-threaded part to remove it. Simple stuff. If you mean you stripped the nut on the stud, grab it with vice grips or use a Crafstman bolt-biter socket to get it off.

Neither issue is particularly dire, nor should you be bent out of shape about it. Happens to the best of us.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (Archidictus)

Craftsman bolt-outs. Tried and true

Old 12-14-2006, 03:30 PM

Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Crafstman bolt-biter socket
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great ****** tool right there!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:39 PM

^ those things ******* saved my life when i worked at an oil change when i was younger
Old 12-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (Filliam H. Muffman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Filliam H. Muffman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute;
Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Re: ****!!! stripped bolt on header!!!ahh how do i get off...... (miahmouse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a minute;
Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha nice.

Thats kinda like.....

I like my women, like I like my coffee...

Ground up and in the freezer!

Well...actually its nothing like it, but I wanted to say that for a while hahaha.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johns_00_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my stainless steel header and i was taking off and i stripped bolt</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Filliam H. Muffman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, you have to throw the car away, its useless now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Header bolt? Does not compute. Did you mean <u>header stud</u>?

If the stud is the problem, remove the rest of the header and use vice-grips on the non-threaded part to remove it. Simple stuff. If you mean you stripped the nut on the stud, grab it with vice grips or use a Crafstman bolt-biter socket to get it off.

Neither issue is particularly dire, nor should you be bent out of shape about it. Happens to the best of us.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok now im not trying to argue or start anything. you are the man when it comes to answering posts BUT... but some b-series come with header bolts. i know mine did. i took all of the bolts out and the two end studs and replaced them with 12 point 10mm from a old pressure plate. they go into the head farther and are less likely to strip...