Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:42 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem

I have an OBD2 d16y7 with an OBD1 intake manifold, and Obd0 throttle body (for vacum) I just swapped it into my EF hatch

whenever the car idles, it overheats, when im driving around and givin it gas, its fine

i replaced the thermostat, changed the radiator, and changed the hoses

whenever the car idles for 3 - 5 minutes, the overflow container starts boiling almost and spilling everywhere

after it overheats and looses coolant, and i add more water, there are bubbles that come up (when its hot, so i dont think its the headgasket)

any help is appreciated because hopefully ill be able to fix this problem by tommorow and drive my car 100 miles

Thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (nicko360)

help me
Old 08-15-2007, 11:17 PM

did you check if your fan is working? wat about your water pump
Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you're not going to be idling 100 miles now are ya? you'll be fine then!

it's got me stumped. if it was a water pump, it'd overheat no matter what. you replaced the thermostat...radiator is fine.

it doesn't leak anywhere until it overheats, right? it might be a headgasket. it bubbles because it's pushing the air out of the system. change your oil, see what color it is. if it looks like chocolate milk, you got yourself a bad headgasket!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (SOHCejcivic)

you have like a reverse thermostat lol
Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (SOHCejcivic)

the oil on the dipstick is good, but yeah there is no radiator fan, but i didnt think that would make it overheat as much as it did, cause one of my friends been rockin no radiator fan for a month
Old 08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
* B A N N E D *

if the fan makes a difference, ill hard wire one to a toggle switch or something tommorow b/c the wiring on mine is fcked up
Old 08-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well **** guy, that IS your problem. air doesn't flow through the radiator = no heat exchange. driving/air moving = heat exchange. put the fan on.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: new jersey home of wanna be's posers claimers ricers biters and where everyone fakes the funk
Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (xXSilentScreamXx)

bad thermo or seems like you should bleeed your system
Old 08-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (4F_HANS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4F_HANS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bad thermo or seems like you should bleeed your system </TD></TR></TABLE>

but...he just changed his thermostat....and the reservior is boiling over. If there was any air..it's gone after that.

also, there are only 2 e's in bleed. I looked it up. So dont try anything funny.

I would invest in a cooling fan.

Also, OP, do you have the right combination of coolant/water in there? You said you were just adding water. Your friend with no cooling fan might just be running a little more coolant blend than you are or something. Thermodynamics state that water is a better carrier of heat....but coolant raises the boiling point of water. They work together for a pretty rad team. Maybe your friend has a bigger radiator? No thermostat? There's gotta be some inconsistency there.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (B serious)

Got damn it ... why every backyard mechanic is trying to be smarter than an army of little Japanese engineers who designed this car ... how hard is to understand that there is plenty of smarter people than you guys ... and in addition if they work together they are far smarter than you ... and by their common effort they designed this car to run at it's best - WITH ALL THE STUFF THEY PUT IN THERE ...

so if by any twist of your sick mind you think you don't need radiator fan ... you prolly don't need your car too. Let it overheat ...

Mike
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (quapouh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quapouh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got damn it ... why every backyard mechanic is trying to be smarter than an army of little Japanese engineers who designed this car ... how hard is to understand that there is plenty of smarter people than you guys ... and in addition if they work together they are far smarter than you ... and by their common effort they designed this car to run at it's best - WITH ALL THE STUFF THEY PUT IN THERE ...

so if by any twist of your sick mind you think you don't need radiator fan ... you prolly don't need your car too. Let it overheat ...

Mike</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell was that all about?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: SEARCHED!!! Wierd Overheating problem (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but...he just changed his thermostat....and the reservior is boiling over. If there was any air..it's gone after that.

also, there are only 2 e's in bleed. I looked it up. So dont try anything funny.

I would invest in a cooling fan.

Also, OP, do you have the right combination of coolant/water in there? You said you were just adding water. Your friend with no cooling fan might just be running a little more coolant blend than you are or something. Thermodynamics state that water is a better carrier of heat....but coolant raises the boiling point of water. They work together for a pretty rad team. Maybe your friend has a bigger radiator? No thermostat? There's gotta be some inconsistency there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i just got a radiator fan wired in to a toggle switch, hopefully it will run better