Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Scraping sounds coming from all wheels? 96 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:03 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping sounds coming from all wheels? 96 Civic

Hi, just recently when I've been driving along, a really loud metallic scraping sound will start coming from one of my wheels. It sounds like metal scraping on metal, or like some kind of disc is loose and rattling around, but very noisy. It doesn't just come from one wheel though, it will start in one wheel area, then may stop over the drive and start up in a different wheel area.

Tonight it started happening with both back wheels at the same time, but in that same drive the front right wheel was making the same noise at a different time. It starts usually when I hit a bump, and can last for a few seconds or a few minutes until I can hit a complete stop or more uncommonly may just stop itself.

I have read up on the problem, but most people only have the problem with one wheel, not all, and theirs is caused by turning or braking. Could it be the wheel bearings? I don't think its the brake pads or splash or dust guards because its all just started happening at the same time, but I can't figure out why its happening in all different wheel ares? Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Scraping sounds coming from all wheels? 96 Civic

Did you actually inspect anything or did you just post here first?
Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unless it starts sounding like an airplane-ish noise...(easiest way for me to describe it)it shouldn't be a bearing.... check calipers? rotors? like actually pull the tires off and check.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts

It probably takes less time to loosen/remove the 4 lug nuts, remove tires and raise the car to inspect the issue than make a thread about a noise.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
It probably takes less time to loosen/remove the 4 lug nuts, remove tires and raise the car to inspect the issue than make a thread about a noise.
A post so good it's going to be my sig.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you might have just bent your dust shield and its scraping the rotor as you drive.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Trial User

Like I said I'm sure its not the dust shields scraping the rotors or anything stuck in the brake pads or calipers as these are problems that effect one wheel independently, where my problem varies between all of my wheels and all started at almost the same time.

I find it extremely unlikely that all of my shields bent or all wheels had something lodged into them at the same time. I'm certain its not the brake pad indicators either as its much louder.

I've been searching for an answer as to why it may be coming from all wheel areas for a few weeks now and all I can find is solutions to the problem in one wheel, so I posted this thread hoping someone here might have an explanation. Good on you though NV it'd take even less time to write something useful. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude thats pretty difficult, do you feel any dragging like the brakes are activating?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Trial User

Nah theres no change to the drive at all, I was just hoping it may have been something common but it looks like I'll have to take it to a mechanic to check it out.

The sound reminds me of metal discs scraping, its very high pitched and just sounds like discs that are loose and rubbing against each other. Next time it happens I might record it and upload it to see if anyones come across it before but otherwise its not looking good.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm assuming you have a jack and a tool to remove lugnuts? Jack one wheel up at a time and spin it.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Trial User

I do. I'll try that and have a listen but the noises are not constant they come and go. If I dont hear anything I'll take them off and inspect them but I don't think its caused by something specific in each wheel area, I think there must be a bigger problem causing it to occur in all areas.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by JamesTheMage
A post so good it's going to be my sig.
haha......go on brother.

Originally Posted by savesamscivic
.......... Good on you though NV it'd take even less time to write something useful. Thanks.
thanks. BTW, whenever I make a thread, it's usually informative, not asking people why my car makes weird noises because I'm too lazy to check things out on my own.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Trial User

NV, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fix it. I obviously wouldn't have to ask if I knew what to do. Don't waste peoples time if you don't know either.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:12 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

NV, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fix it. I obviously wouldn't have to ask if I knew what to do. Don't waste peoples time if you don't know either.
Like I said, it doesn't take long to look for the issue. However, it seems like you don't know what to look for so just take it to a mechanic instead. Don't doubt my knowledge about cars when you CAN'T EVEN REMOVE A WHEEL/TIRE.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Trial User

I can remove a wheel NV, if you'd read any of the information in the posts you'd realise it was a deeper issue than simply removing a wheel to look for an anomaly. I don't doubt you have knowledge about mechanics but you obviously don't have a clue about this either so your comments are useless.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:39 AM
The Grumpiest

it was a deeper issue than simply removing a wheel to look for an anomaly.
Actually it isn't.
A visual inspection, which you never bothered to do, is the first thing to do.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Trial User

The noise is coming from the inside of the car next to each wheel area. I haven't been able to localise it as it stops when the car stops but I'm almost certain I wouldn't be able to access it by simply removing the wheel.

Do you have any advice on what to look for that would cause this sound to begin intermittently and in all wheels? I was hoping someone may have had the issue before so I can at least give some guidance to a professional that could confirm my findings and work from there.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 AM
The Grumpiest

You must have super powers to be able to diagnose technical issues without seeing or laying hands on the affected parts. What do you think is the first thing the tech is going to do when he gets it on the lift?

But you seem to know everything so why even bother to ask? And if you're taking it to a shop why bother to ask?

Good luck to you.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Trial User

I don't know everything its why I'm asking, and I wouldn't have to take it to a shop if I could get some decent advice here and possibly fix it myself. You blokes are useless. I find it impossible that a problem that causes a high pitched scraping sound in the wheel is happening to each individual wheel and started up at the same time, not a cause internally in the mechanics of the car. Taking a wheel off sounds like almost a big a waste of time as your posts.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had rust build-up behind my brake caliper hardware forcing it out and scraping on the rotors in the rear on my 94 civic...check that
Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
The Grumpiest

Beginning to suspect OP doesn't know how to take off the wheels.
Asks about problems. Suggestion is made. OP refuses suggestions. Claims we're the waste of time.
I think you just want to theorize about what it could be instead of getting your hands dirty in the act of trying to find out.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is weird, try jacking the car up on all fours or just the front and put the car in drive and let the wheels spin on there own and listen and look around while its in the air.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

I don't know everything its why I'm asking, and I wouldn't have to take it to a shop if I could get some decent advice here and possibly fix it myself. You blokes are useless. I find it impossible that a problem that causes a high pitched scraping sound in the wheel is happening to each individual wheel and started up at the same time, not a cause internally in the mechanics of the car. Taking a wheel off sounds like almost a big a waste of time as your posts.
HAHAHAAHAHAHA, scraping sound from wheels, but won't take wheels off.

OP is a moron.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or he can place his car in front of a lake and place a brick on the gas pedal and turn it on.. problem solved... maybe cheap coils rubbing the sleeves? we don't have a clue with ur sound effects...
Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

The wheels go....."weekie weekie" but I don't want to get my bitch hands dirty. Wait, I don't even know what a wheel jack looks like. Haha