Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SCAMMER Engine shop!!! need you opinion, they totaled my block and charged me 5K!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 SCAMMER Engine shop!!! need you opinion, they totaled my block and charged me 5K!

HT help me what do i do!!!! if you would be mad at a shop for charging you 4k for a usless motor post!

ok Ht here is my perdicament, 2 months ago i set up a build with a major engine shop in cali, don't want to say names untill i contact them tomorrow, buy i contracted them to take my B18C1 block and build it, the block was to include Darton MID sleeves, Endyn pistons that i supplied, eagle rods, micropolish my ITR crank, assemble with new seals/bearings. for a total of 3200. so i send them my core they quoted me a month time for the build and took 2.5 months, finally sent me the block and it looked great. until tonight when i finally started to assemble the top end

While installing my ARP head studs i noticed that 3 of the holes would not thread in by hand, (and when i took them out of the motor before were smooth and butter. ) then i inspected the 3 that would not thread, there was metal shavings and chuncks of metal in the bottom of the holes,!!! i then tried to see how far they would thread in , 2 or the 3 bad ones thread in about 1/8th of an inch untill they stop. and the worst one will thread 1/8th and stop completly. the 3rd one doesnt even point strait up but is crooked and touches the side of the hole! there is no way i could run this 13:1 comp block with 7 head studs!!!! i then tryed with a rached and allen head i barly started to tighten one and it instantly bekame hard. (similar to when actually tourqing the head bolts) so obviously this shop cross threaded or damaged the threads to the point where i can not install head studs of anykind, and i am usling ARP brand new.

now, what should i do? tell the shop that when they put the tourque plate on for the new sleeves they killed my threads? and that they need to refund me or every penny paid? and i return them the block???

and if they say it wasn't their fault should i take them to court??? what would you do???

all i know is this is a professional show that does many honda builds. what would you do if a shop build you a motor that you could'nt run???
Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump its so gay to have a brand new 2L 13:1 comp motor in your garage that will never get to start up!!!! this should'nt be tolerated!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were you i would just wait to talk to them,it doesn't sound to serious. they can prob rethread it...
Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 PM
JHP
Honda-Tech Member

Try to talk to the shop owner/manager. If they are a big shop like you say I'm sure they wont want you telling people that they jacked up your block and potentially lose them thousands of dollars in business so they will probably hook you up. Its better to have a happy customer than one that's super pissed. If anything, you will be telling people how great they were when they fixed your prob. Sounds like an easy fix for a machine shop. I can understand how it would be frustrating but I would not worry too much. If they try to f*** you just tell them that you will post this on the forums, might change their tune. Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

talk to them first..but really it's kinda hard to say because the shop can say that they didn't mess up your block and that when they shipped it out it was in good condition...it's your word vs theirs...unless u have hard proof...but if i were you i'd just clean the block up and say you never touched the block, you only inspected it and found out the threads where messed up...if you %100 sure know that they messed up your block then they know what they did...good luck on the man
Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly your block is still perfectly fine. All you need to do is send it out to get timeserts installed!

Thats where my hopefully800+ block is right now! my builder was putting the head on and noticed 1 stud that was not tightning. Im having all the threads redone with timeserts!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rip94delsol
Honestly your block is still perfectly fine. All you need to do is send it out to get timeserts installed!

Thats where my hopefully800+ block is right now! my builder was putting the head on and noticed 1 stud that was not tightning. Im having all the threads redone with timeserts!
timeserts? are thos the threaded sleeves you put when you strip them?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I got screwed over by a shop they gave me a crappy swap and they left out tranny bolts it was a night mare I hope u get urr block fixed
Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P12 EG6
SCAMMER Engine shop!!! need you opinion, they totaled my block and charged me 5K!

So according to your post this shop has NOT scammed you (yet), they did not charge you $5K (only $3200 according to your post), and did NOT total your block (ie not damadged it beyond repair).

Don't get me wrong, I would be pissed as well and I hope everything works out for you but I really hate these type of posts where the OP makes accusations in their title for everyone to see but fails to back them up in the context of the thread.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EKhatch
So according to your post this shop has NOT scammed you (yet), they did not charge you $5K (only $3200 according to your post), and did NOT total your block (ie not damadged it beyond repair).

Don't get me wrong, I would be pissed as well and I hope everything works out for you but I really hate these type of posts where the OP makes accusations in their title for everyone to see but fails to back them up in the context of the thread.
I agree with you. If you noticed there were problems with the treads why would you ever try and run a bolt into it. The hole was prob. full of metal filings from the mechine work they did and only needed to be cleaned out. Just take it back and see what they can do before you go bashing them. I would love to see you post something to the affect of how great their cust care was after you talked with them. Hell that won't happen.

Last edited by instructor74; 11-20-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P12 EG6
there was metal shavings and chuncks of metal in the bottom of the holes,!!! i then tried to see how far they would thread in , 2 or the 3 bad ones thread in about 1/8th of an inch untill they stop.
Did you try and clear out the metal shavings? It could just be that metal fell into the holes during the machining operations. They should have cleaned up the holes, but if shavings are still in there, you should clean them out before installing studs.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marauder
Did you try and clear out the metal shavings? It could just be that metal fell into the holes during the machining operations. They should have cleaned up the holes, but if shavings are still in there, you should clean them out before installing studs.
what Marauder and pretty much everyone else said...its perfectly normal (although still not cool!) to have metal shavings in the head bolt holes when you get a block back from the machine shop...if your the one doing the final assembly (ie putting the head on) then it is your responsibility to check for things like that...clean the head bolt holes out with some compressed air and run a thread chaser (not a tap) through the head bolt holes that you were having trouble with...hopefully you didn't strip the threads trying to install the head bolt because the bolt bottomed out on the shavings

even if it is the worse case scenario and the bolt holes are stripped the block still isn't "totaled" it will need to be timesert repaired, but that is an extremely effective repair and a relatively easy job, just sucks to spend the 500+ on the kit, but with 3k+ tied up in the block you'll have to fix it
Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default thanks

yes i know i reasearched and found that the threads could be repaired with timeserts, if worst comes to worst, adn yes before i tried installing the head studs i did blow out the metal shavings but i have not chased the threads yet, i will tonight wheni am off work and no i did not ram the studs in the whole to destroy the threads just untill they started to tighten up.

and yes somehwere around 5 k for other things unrealated to this post