Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Saving a 97 dx.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saving a 97 dx.

Neighbor bought this car about 5-6 yrs ago with a overheating problem. Rebuilt the motor down across the border. Still overheated so he asked me to check it out head was not flat so I re-did it. Ran great for a yr or so and then they sold it to their son. It was wrecked and very neglected. It has sat in front of my house for about 3-4 yrs, i recently sold my ridgeline so I asked what they were going to do with it. They wanted to sell it, so i offered to check it out. With a new battery it fired right up with a little miss-fire. Well it smogged with flying colors and so I offered them $400...SOLD! Unfortunately had about $700 in back registration and fees.. stupid california. So decided to go all in on it. Have not been in the civic game since maybe 2008 ish. First car was a 94 ex i spent so much time and $ on. Real B16A sir2 imported etc. So much fun hitting 8k rpm and it still pulling.

I work for a collision center and the body and paint guys owed me. Picked up a couple used doors in better shape and got to work. I did most of the heavy work and she got most of her dents smoothed out and a nice coat of morning mist blue metallic. All otuside moldings and plastic received coats of black and all the rubber received a heavy dose of honda shin etsu grease. New belt mouldings from honda for the front and the rears were sourced form overseas. I think I have about $1k worth of clips/screws on my bill. Remade all the door plastics out of 6mill plastic sheeting. Foam rubber seals have been replaced, like the ones under the cowl and ones on the door latches.

Made a custom 2' hitch. It is attached to the rear re-bar and back panel with 4 bolts. It is only for a mountain bike rack. To keep it high and close to the car. My main use for this car is for my mtn bike trips or if i want to take my son on a ride, the wife has a car still.

Wish I took more pictures but it was always during my "free" time at work so i always had limited time.

Currently the outside is pretty much "done". Need to work on the suspension because it is all rotted out. I have on order....

-Front and rear SI brakes/knuckles etc.
-skunk 2 tuner upper control arms
-blox racing rear toe links/camber links
-skunk 2 alpha black rear lower arms
-energy front lower control arm bushings
-Russell stainless brake lines

not sure on coilovers yet...but I think I have settled on Tein FlexZ just from past experience with the company and price etc.

Future plans....
-K24

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-29-2024, 10:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Saving a 97 dx.

Nice job dude! could you take pictures of the interior?
Old 07-29-2024, 02:02 PM
Trial User

Yea. Next couple days I will add some more bits and pieces.
Old 07-30-2024, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow that thing has come a long way, very nice save. Looking forward to more updates
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-30-2024, 10:53 AM
Trial User

Got the tint done a few days ago. 50 front, 25 rear and 15 back. I added the taller center console and every panel got a scrub brush and dawn dish soap treatment. The interior was pretty clean--ish besides carpet. And top of rear seats are done. Trying to find a company to make seat overs that fit. Going to get new carpet and some floor mats but figured I will wait until my 3 yr old is a little less messy....

The door panels have little bubbles on some parts, going to see if i can inject some glue somehow to keep them from getting bigger.

Center vent panel/radio panel was pretty destroyed. It basically disintegrated when i removed it. Had to use some bondo and epoxy. Was able to design and 3d print some pieces that hold the vents together to go up and down, so thats all functional again.

Waiting on screws for the column cover to come in. But it needs some paint on it and the panel below the column. Gotta talk to my interior guy to see what he recommends to use on interior panels.

Anyone have a link to mudguards that fit? Got two from ebay so far and they are way off!

Old 07-30-2024, 02:32 PM
Trial User

Interior looks pretty good! Seems like this:
Amazon.com: A-Premium Set of 4PCS Mud Flaps Splash Guards Mudguards Mudflaps with Hardware Kits Accessory Compatible with Honda Civic 1996-2000, 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000, Sedan & Coupe Only, Black, Front and Rear : Automotive Amazon.com: A-Premium Set of 4PCS Mud Flaps Splash Guards Mudguards Mudflaps with Hardware Kits Accessory Compatible with Honda Civic 1996-2000, 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000, Sedan & Coupe Only, Black, Front and Rear : Automotive
mudflap might fit? if you look at the reviews people say it doesn't fit 98-2000, you could also try to find them at a junkyard
Old 07-30-2024, 02:44 PM
Trial User

• [Vehicle Fitment]: Compatible with Honda Civic (Sedan, Coupe) 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 --- Not Fit Side skirts & any body modifications;Note-2: Not suitable for vehicles with rear bumpers
I think id like to keep my rear bumper lol. I found another set that physically look right somewhere. So we will see. thanks though. Going to try to find some OEM ones though. I am in socal I would be surprised if I found a set of them still on the car in the yards haha.

But yea it cleaned up pretty good. wish i took some before shots though.
Old 07-30-2024, 03:04 PM
Trial User

not suitable for vehicles with rear bumpers now that is weird did not see that lol!