Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage title

I'm looking to buy a 00 Si, the only downside is the one I'm looking at has a salvage title out of Wisconsin. Think it's 70% value to get the salvage tag over there at WI, was wondering what you guys think.

The seller says it was involved in a 'light frontend crash' around 15k in, but was repaired at the dealership under warranty. The car looks fine, I didn't see any major misalignments with the bumper/fender, but is there anything else I should look out for?

How much do you think the car is worth? Interior is in good condition, a few dents and dings, nothing major. Mods are light (intake/shiftknob, etc) The only real problem is the title...

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Salvage title (Xentius)

Has it already been retitled/inspected and has been driven legally on the road since the original accident?

If so then if you don't care about people saying OMG IT'S A SALVAGE TITLE!!! when you get ready to resell then go for it.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to know what dealership that is that repaired a car under warrenty when the owner got into an accident.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its 50% for a Salvage Title, and 75% for a Rebuilt/Restored Title. How many miles are on the car? What kind of mods have been done to it? Post some pics.

I used to own a 99 Civic Si (Restored Title) with 77k miles. Bought it for $6,900. Drove it around for a couple of months, and really loved the car. Someone offered me $10,200 for it, and I sold it. You will really like that car and appreciate it. Has an awesome setup under the hood. I will get pics up soon of my old one. To show how clean it was.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Salvage title (meandino)

i just bought a reconstructed title. i didn't care because i knew the owner. the motor was stolen out of it. salvage has a brown title, reconstructed is still blue like a clean title.

i don't understand the warranty part? unless the dealership fixed it with the money the insurance gave him. that's the only thing i can come up with, just doesn't sound right though.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 PM

It's at 129k, been daily driven by the current owner. I'm not sure about the warranty thing either, gonna go ask him about it next time I see it. Mods are marginal and mostly cosmetic, rims, CAI, new valve covers, short shifter, shifter ****...

Not even sure I'll keep the motor, I've got a b16a2 setup with a JRSC and lht intercooler sitting in my totaled EK (99DX) and it's only at 80kish miles. WS1 exhaust,DC headers and the sort. Thinking of swapping my old stuff into this Si, though I'd prolly have to keep the tranny cuz they towed my car in gear w/o a flatbed and trashed the tranny...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know how much I'd be willing to price a salvage titled car on. I'd have to take into consideration the condition of the car and how uncommon that car might be.

Besides the value of the car in the event that you decide to one day sell it, you might want to think about how it will be insured and what how easily the car might be totaled (Could that happen again?) in the event of damage.

I'd look into local law as how the car will be insured in your state. Can you get it retitled? If you get it retitled, will you be paying insurance for a clean titled vehicle, but in the event the car has massive damage or theft in the future, will the insurance company deem the car as being worth less than a regular clean titled car?

I'd check local laws and your insurance.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:30 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: (NOFX)

insurance will insure it for the value of the car. salvaged title. they will insure it, you can't get a loan for it barely, but it can be insured. reconstructed title is different
Old 02-09-2008, 12:49 AM

Default Re: (HybridcivicLS-T)

I remeber my "light front end collision" ... sadest day of my life. Kept the old bumper in my room as a reminder. Makes a good holder of books.

Insurance companys are tricky, but depending on the amount of damage, how it was repaired, the cars value at the time etc. All those play into effect in a decision over total loss/ repairable. I would get more information on the collision, pictures, the parts that were damaged/replaced, etc.

I asked my body shop to take pictures of the repair process (before, during and after), exact priced out list of what was replaced, all of that type of information for future refrence if I decide to resell the car. Depending on how well it was repaired, that would play a big part in it's value now. Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can get pictures tomorrow when I see him again.

He's asking 5.2k... I'm thinking it's a pretty good deal as the only real problem I see is the title, the car seems to perform just fine.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xentius)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xentius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's at 129k, been daily driven by the current owner. I'm not sure about the warranty thing either, gonna go ask him about it next time I see it. Mods are marginal and mostly cosmetic, rims, CAI, new valve covers, short shifter, shifter ****... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would not pay more than $3800 for a salvage title. $5800 for a rebuilt/restored title. With the car in good condition. Thats a lot of miles for that year of car. I have an 92 Si with 105k miles.

If you do decide to get the car. Maybe get some Si rims to go back on it. (I could sell you mine) Good Luck with your decision. I bet its going to be an awesome car if you get it.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: (meandino)

i wouldn't waste my time with it now knowing the miles on it. just buy something else with less miles. plenty of cars....si's arent that big of a deal