Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

RSX cluster in del sol

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSX cluster in del sol

I don't know why my previous post was locked, I was asking for help on putting an RSX cluster in a del sol... But sense it was locked i had to spend 2 hours investigating myself on if this would work.... And sense I didn't find anything searching I'm going to post this up for future people. The RSX cluster is just about the same shape as the del sol cluster so a buddy of mine asked if it could be swapped. So i dug up some helms from both clusters and got to work here are my findings that I posted on our other board.

Ok here it is, I hate to be the one that brings the bad news, but me and David were gonna actually do this and started to figure some **** out tonight. It's not looking good. Here is the basic wiring diagram I came up with

The problem as you can see is the communication line. The del sol doesn't have one. That one wire is actually VERY iimportant and complex. It is a digital signal, that is generated by a multiplexor under the RSX dash (multiplexor takes many signals and codes them into binary digital code so it can all be sent at once). That one wire has all the info from the ECU, door sensors, Water temp, etc, etc, etc going into it. The sol's cluster is all analog, so there is nothing that will match up. The only way to hook it up properly is to take the multiplexor out of the RSX and hook everything up by hand. BUT YOU STILL HAVE A PROBLEM, the RSX ECU has a wire that goes to that multiplexor, the del sol ecu's don't have that, and would have no way to send or recieve data from it. I don't know what kind of signal the ecu contriibutes, or maybe it just reads in info. So the Tach, speedo, and fuel gauge might still work properly, but there is no way to tell for sure without analysing the signal going to the ecu from the multiplexor.... The RSX cluster actually has a CPU in it that decodes the comm line wire and controls EVERYTHING. So long story short, the cluster swap will probably NOT work The things i know for sure will never work are the temp gauge, door open indicators, seat belt light, parking light, and ABS light.

Basically the only way to get this cluster to work, and work properly would involve a K20 swap, plus most the interior wire harness. So unless you wanna dish out $10,000. Your going to have to live with your del sol cluster. Or hope for a miricle and have just the tach, speedo, and fuel gauges work.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (toolowsol)

Here is my thread that got locked for no good reason
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=828546
Old 04-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP for some hot info
if you could hook me up with a diagram for the EG one it would be HELLA cool
thanks for the info
peace
Old 04-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (slowhatch4now)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowhatch4now &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUMP for some hot info
if you could hook me up with a diagram for the EG one it would be HELLA cool
thanks for the info
peace</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's a del sol.. I'd imagine the diagram is very close to the same for the hatch/coupe/sedan , if not exactly the same.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (jcarothers)

Ok PLAN B: Somebody needs to go rent an RSX, CUT the comm line (wht/grn) at the cluster, and put the cluster back in. Then start the car and see what still works Email me with the results l
Old 04-10-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (jcarothers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jcarothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it's a del sol.. I'd imagine the diagram is very close to the same for the hatch/coupe/sedan , if not exactly the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jeremy was comparing it. The two are quite different. I'm not sure by how much though. Either way, the civic doesn't have a communications wire.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (Aber)

Yes civic is different, I already checked... It wouldn't be too hard to figure out though, If somebody goes and clips that wire in an RSX and lets me know what still works, I'll post up the civic wiring guide
Old 04-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

&lt;-feels dumb...

atleast I learned something new
Old 07-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump sorry to bring this back from the dead but is it possible (if so - how?) to run a K20a in an EK with

1.) Hasport modified engine harness (send hasport a RSX-S engine harness, RSX-S charging harness)

2.) a -have a custom interior harness made with lines coming from the muliplex/fuse box to ECU & cluster All from a RSX interior harness
b - use the EK int harness to operate all other dash functions with connections made to plug into RSX multiplexor/under dash fuse box

*** i need to get this figured out soon *scratches head*
Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (adirondackR)

Hope you are aware the multiplexor has 8 plugs on it's side and 17 plugs on the fuse box side (yes they are linked together)
Old 07-20-2004, 04:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hope you are aware the multiplexor has 8 plugs on it's side and 17 plugs on the fuse box side (yes they are linked together)</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're no fun to unplug/cut either...
Old 07-20-2004, 05:27 PM

Wow, goodluck man, seems like you know what your talking about. The pioneers of Honda-tech once again! Don't forget to post pics of the finished product.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:33 PM
JRl

damn mods locking posts for no reason! stop picking on the sols! haha. You getting any closer with this Jeremy?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRl)

haven't had time, someone *cough* aber *cough* took about 6 months to get my multiplexor.... Maybe within a few weeks i'll have it wired up.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:49 PM

Default Re: (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haven't had time, someone *cough* aber *cough* took about 6 months to get my multiplexor.... Maybe within a few weeks i'll have it wired up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

more like 3 or 4
Old 07-21-2004, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Aber)

I think i may have found someone capable of making the custom harness for me...just a matter of me sourcing all the harnesses needed ....k20a motor install won't be scheduled till at least Nov I will keep you guys informed as to how it goes
Old 07-21-2004, 03:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (adirondackR)

so.. why was it locked ?
Old 08-17-2004, 09:50 AM

Hey, can whoever has a diagram of the RSX cluster, Email it to me, I'll see what I can do to make the gauges work. Kustomcrx@hotmail.com Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (KustomCrx)

I have a rsx manual but its 40mb
Old 08-17-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: RSX cluster in del sol (KustomCrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KustomCrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, can whoever has a diagram of the RSX cluster, Email it to me, I'll see what I can do to make the gauges work. Kustomcrx@hotmail.com Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a matter of analog/digital. Jeremy has it planned out. He is preoccupied with chipping, working, and tuning his boost. Lazy bum can't do 4 things at once
Old 09-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: RSX Cluster setup (toolowsol)

Any more info on that Multiplex unit? I'm trying to get one so I can fart with it. I have the RSX cluster setup in my shop with all working except the devices that connect to that Multiplex. If i can get one of those multiplexes, I can post a How-To guide on setting up an RSX cluster faster than you can say RSX. I believe you don't need the ECU to get everything working. I've posted RSX info on this thread too:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1003902