Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Roll cage & street driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll cage & street driving

I know this issue has been covered before, but I can't for my life find the thread.

My issue is I'm getting a removable steering wheel since I'm sick of my car being stolen. It has no airbag, so now I want a harness, and I don't want my head crushed if the car flips, so I would need a cage, or at least a bar. I've heard you head can smack against a cage in just a mild impact and crack your skull open. I'm not too keen with that, but I don't want to wear a helmet when driving to work. Do any of you have cages in your daily drivers? If so, I'd imagine you don't wear your helmets around town, do you?

Thanks for any info, sorry if it's a repost.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (jolt-tsp)

I drive around with a 4 point rollbar daily in my hatch. But yea 6 point can be dangerous if driving on the streets for the reason you said in side inpacts your head can smack the bar.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (Evil_gambit33)

That is why the rule book contains one thing about having padded foam wrapped around the bar anywhere you head can hit
Old 10-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is why the rule book contains one thing about having padded foam wrapped around the bar anywhere you head can hit </TD></TR></TABLE>

That isnt the reason, its to further soften the blow to a helmet.

Roll-Cage = track car. On a street car you risk your life everytime you drive it.

Roll-bar is streetable, its behind the driver, just don't take passengers anymore
Old 10-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

::sorry to jack thread but::

i also need a cage because i am using 2 4pt harness on sparco seats in my civic coupe if i just got one off of the internet would that be bolt in or weld in? (if it was bolt in i doubt the safety would be as good as if it were welded into place, so id like to get one welded in) besides that, does anyone know any good cage builders in illinois?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (splitime)

Gotcha, If I were to get a roll bar, could I weld additions only it later to make a scca legal cage?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gotcha, If I were to get a roll bar, could I weld additions only it later to make a scca legal cage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe you could get something like an autopower and later buy the front 'cage' addon. As far as legality, I have 0 experience with that, so can't help ya.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't want my head crushed if the car flips </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you roll your car, an airbag isn't going to keep you from crushing your head anyway.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gotcha, If I were to get a roll bar, could I weld additions only it later to make a scca legal cage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Personally I would get a bolt-in roll bar. When the time comes where you want a roll cage, remove the roll bar and get a custom roll cage built. I personally wouldn't add on to a roll bar to make it a 6/8 point cage.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (keithv)

you bastards! answer my q will ya

EDIT: nevermind i did it myself
Old 10-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (keithv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you roll your car, an airbag isn't going to keep you from crushing your head anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not the airbag that prevents it, it's that a typical seatbelt gives your head flexibility (which is why the airbag helps you in other types of collisions) to move out of the way of a crushing roof. A full harness will not give you head room to move when the top comes crushing down on you, but also does not give your head room to fly into the steerwheel (which is what I want due my lack of airbag).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keithv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Personally I would get a bolt-in roll bar. When the time comes where you want a roll cage, remove the roll bar and get a custom roll cage built. I personally wouldn't add on to a roll bar to make it a 6/8 point cage.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good call. I'd imagine I'd be able to sell a bolt in roll bar pretty easily later on.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That isnt the reason, its to further soften the blow to a helmet.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but you can't tell me that it isn't going to help if you hit your head on it instead of hitting your head on a stright up metal bar padding helps no matter what it will still hurt but you might no be so hurt that it will kill you or cause permanent injurty.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah but you can't tell me that it isn't going to help if you hit your head on it instead of hitting your head on a stright up metal bar padding helps no matter what it will still hurt but you might no be so hurt that it will kill you or cause permanent injurty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever felt the padding on a roll bar? it's not excatlay soft, you will still probably endup with a concussion, but why risk it if oyu do not have to.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roll cage & street driving (Solracer)

anyone running the autopower 4 point bar? i was thinking about getting it.