Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rocker shaft spring not pressing out

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker shaft spring not pressing out

I have a 98 Honda Civic w D16Y7 engine
I had head remachined and they had to rework the exhaust valves, cam shaft, put new valve seals on....

after installing the block ..it was noisy (they had also adjusted the valve lash)...
after trying to adjust the valve lash again I notices that the end rocker arm
could slide left and right... this is because the rocker arm spring is bent in and not pushing out
...see picture https://flic.kr/p/pPEXWu
and video

could this cause noise ?
could this cause harm if not fixed ?
should the machine shop have caught this ?
is it possible to take off the end block and slide this off and fix ..or is that pretty complicated (I'm a rookie)
recommendations ?
Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rocker shaft spring not pressing out

From diagrams alone I can see it should be more straight and not bent in like that. The shop must of missed that pffft....

I have a D15B7 I just had car quest resurface and clean. I had to remove the camshaft so I removed the rocker arm assembly, Later once I had the head back I assembled the rocker arm assembly after I cleaned it and noticed it was missing a wave washer that caused the rocker arm to move around.
I looked into a diagram and seen that there should be one there so what I am getting at is no it should not move that much and that spring should be adjusted closer to the arm.

you will have to remove the rocker assembly and remove the right side bolts holding the shafts and remove the bearing cap and remove that arm and pull that spring and re-adjust it by eye until you feel satisfied with its position.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by JPRhome
you will have to remove the rocker assembly and remove the right side bolts holding the shafts and remove the bearing cap and remove that arm and pull that spring and re-adjust it by eye until you feel satisfied with its position.
I probably wouldn't play with this by eye. I would either buy a new spring from Honda or go to the wreckers and get a properly shaped one.

The only reason I say this is because some of the spring tension is lost once the metal bends. It will never be like it was even when you bend it back and so I wouldn't trust it to last knowing the spring has been compromised.

That's my two cents on it.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the quick feedback !
I will call around and see whether I can buy a new one.... or one from junkyard

what you describe "remove the rocker assembly and remove the right side bolts holding the shafts and remove the bearing cap and remove that arm and pull that spring and re-adjust it by eye until you feel satisfied with its position. "

so let me see if this is right
1. remove camshaft holder bolts (arrows)
2. can I then slide the rocker arm off (far right exhaust rocker arm)
3. replace spring
4. put back on rocker arm
5. reattach camshaft holder

Is that right... is ther gotchas ...where I can mess this up ?
Thanks Much !

Tim
Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Hysterically Calm

It's a little more involved than that. You will have to loosen the timing belt so there isn't any pressure on the cam via the belt. And then you will have to remove the cam gear. Then loosen all the cam caps of that cam to the point of removal. You will also have to loosen all the rocker arm assembly bolts to the point of removal. After all that, the rocker assembly can be lifted up so you can slide parts off to get to the spring. Tip: Leave the bolts in the rocker arm assembly when you lift it out so it stays together. Then just remove the one bolt holding the cap together by the arm you need to remove after you have lifted the assembly out.

Of note, there is a proper order to loosen all these bolts and also to tighten them (known as a torque sequence). There is also a specific amount of torque for all the bolts.

It's time consuming but not the most difficult thing.

Grabbing your Factory Service Manual for your car will make your life much simpler.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry...a couple more questions
could this cause noise ?
Thanks for all the help !!
Tim
Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tim.ocallag
sorry...a couple more questions
could this cause noise ?
Thanks for all the help !!
Tim
Yes, it could cause very expensive noises if not fixed.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:08 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's not performing it's function like it was designed to do, aka not move like that, it'll cause damage. Irregular wear, pressure on points that aren't designed to take direct pressure like that. It's not the hardest thing to do as quoted above, as long as you follow the service manual you should be just fine. Just make sure everything matches up, how hard can it be?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered part from honda ...only $12.... but have to wait 4 days : (
Old 10-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

In my description of what all you have to loosen to get the rocker arm assembly off, I added more than required for you. I was thinking about the D16Y8 head that has the Lost Motion Assembly holder on top of the rocker arm assembly.

You will have a few less bolts to worry about.

Do you have the FSM? The page you posted looks to be from it.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered part from honda ...only $12.... but have to wait 4 days : (
They suck when it comes to ordering parts! It also takes them a week to process the damn orders. Whenever I know I have to order from them, I make sure to remind myself to give it a week before I begin any process involving the part I ordered.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have the manual...on pdf...I just print the pages I need based on what I'm doing...... I'd be lost without the manual
Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Hysterically Calm

I do have the manual...on pdf...I just print the pages I need based on what I'm doing...... I'd be lost without the manual
Yeah the FSM is a god send more often than not. Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 1846
Size:  1.4 KB
Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its like replacing your rear engine mount lol remove a bunch to get a little.
My bad on the bending of the spring tomcat is right on that one.

damage indeed if not fixed, I could see that rocker arm moving off the valve tip causing the valve to not open while the cam smacks the arm around till it eventually causes a series of events.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got the new spring and its different ..I'm not sure I want to put on the new one...so bent out the old one ....see pictures of new and old...

My new problem is that the alignment pin is pressed into the head such that there is nothing to locate when putting the rocker assembly back.
I'm sure that it was pressed in before which makes me mad that the machine shop did not fix that.
Anyways..there is a little hole in the center of the alignment pin but even with a sharp pointed object I cant get the alignment pin to come out.

I'm looking for suggestions ...help !

rocker spring clip (left is original and side with holes is flat, right is new, side with holes is rounded)

head- note alignment pin is stuck in all the way
Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i find a solution....since there was a small hole I used a screw and a drill and screwed the screw in enough to pull dowel out.

Come to find that the mating part (the rocker assembly has a dowel hole half the side of the dowel I pulled out.....so I assume this is unnecessary

I then notices that most of the bolts that hold the rocker assembly down have dowels in them.

Sorry but now for the next questions.... I've lined up fairly well and able to start each of the bolts in the holes but I cant see to jiggle the rocker assembly so that its flat.... If I remember right I had taken all the bolts out and the assembly was flat to the head....so I think it should be able to be pushed down flat ....
so should it be able to be pushed down flat ?
Any suggestions on how to do that?
I'm always leary of forcing things so I don't think its a good idea to tighten bolts down and force onto alignment dowels .....or is it ok ?

Thanks again for all the help !
Tim
Old 11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Hysterically Calm

Nevermind, if you saw my original post it looks like I maybe mistaken. In the picture it really looks just like the oil jet that they use to create higher pressure though. I just can't shake the feeling that isn't a dowel you pulled.

None the less, I don't think any dowel in the engine is not a necessary piece. If yours is compromised, you should replace it. Compare what you pulled out to the other dowels of the rocker assembly. I doubt they look the same, not even remotely except that they are all cylinders. The dowels are usually thin walled cylinders. That plug in your pic is not.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 8007
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 1902
Size:  16.6 KB

I still say it looks just like an oil jet over a dowel in your picture though, the plug right under the bolt hole just about center of your second picture.....

If it is the oil jet, it's highly needed and it's not a part on the parts list as it's never removed from the head (or block depending on the engine).

Also if you have another vehicle, I'd take the new spring and your old spring back to Honda and see what they say about the difference.

I'm not really sure if you can just tap the marred oil jet plug back in, assuming my initial thought of the plug is right as the oil jet.

Last edited by TomCat39; 11-05-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what you are saying is leave the dowel (or airjet in)....which I did
I did take pictures of the springs to show Honda but I think the original will be ok.so....see pictures ive gotten rhe rocker assembly down more...both ends seem to be down but middle is up.... is it safe to tighten bolts?
note..i know there is a sequence and torque values

right side near cyl 1

left side near cylinder 4

near cylinder 2 / 3
Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Hysterically Calm

You can tap gently with a rubber mallet (dead blow hammer) and see if it settles down. If it doesn't move, it is catching on something and needs more wiggling.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dumb question....how can it be touching on both ends and sticking up in the middle ?
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Hysterically Calm

Well first things first. Lets back up a bit.

I have confirmed that is the oil jet that it appears you screwed a screw into and yanked out.

Then it seems you put it back in.

I suspect you didn't put it back flush like it was originally being you thought it's just a dowel. It would be blocking the assembly from flushing up.

Now that you've marred with a screw it's highly recommended you replace it, and there is an o-ring that goes with it.

If you don't replace both of them, you run a very high risk of totaling that head.

The unfortunate part is, I don't see the oil jet in the parts list on the OEM site. You will have to take the little Oil Jet plug to the dealership and see if they can look up the part for you so you can get it and the o-ring ordered.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was a little hassle to try and get my rocker assembly to sit flat I had to kinda press/squeeze on each end of the assembly pushing inward toward each other and kinda wiggle it down kinda like jimmying it.
I'm guessing because the bolts give it some slight wiggle room the assembly pushes outward because the springs and all from my experience and will keep you from getting a flush insert on those dowels.