Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rocker arm assembly install help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm assembly install help

Hello all, n

I'm attempting to reinstallnrocker arm assem. After having head resurfaced. I kept all arms on shaft so everything is in its original position. Ive got it on there and all bolts installed but its not fully seating at the number 5 position - I can see visually its 1/16 inch space. The way the cam shaft is sitting, these valves are set to be open. Ive been tapping gently and and gently tightening bolts, and tried sliding the pulley on there to rotate shaft but wont budge.

did I go wrong somehwere? Shoukd I pull it off and start over? I saw somehwere use rubber bands to hokd rockwr arms up until assem is fully seated and then let them drop, but was for a diff model civic and not sure that wiukd work here.

thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Rocker arm assembly install help

There are dowel pins in some of the holes, so alignment has to be exact. Be sure the adjusting screws on the ends of the rocker arms rest on the top of the valve stem, not jammed against the side which will happen if the rocker swings down too far. It is normal to not be able to turn the camshaft by hand. You will need to use a wrench for some leverage.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=jesshaines;51350197]Hello ok tgank you. Thats helpful.

I just torqued bolts down in stages and sequence and it seated properly. Sorry if itvwas a silly question - its my first big project solo and I'm a little terrified of f-ing up!

a wrench on cam shaft? Grabbing on to where? Wouldnt want to gum up nice machined surface that pulley slides onto, right?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jesus, think I need another cup of coffee! By bolt on cam oulley - duh! Its been a while since I remived that.....:-) thanks again
Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes and it's OK to turn it clockwise (even though it turns counterclockwise while running) so there is no chance you loosen the bolt. Having that bolt come loose while running is very bad.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So Ive got it back apart again - the cam shaft turned about half inch, I heard sonething spring, then woukdnt budge. Im hoping I just over torqued and tgat soringing noise wasnt damage. Everything was lined up properly and looked good. I did run through the torque sequence twice to check but im hoping that was the problem and wont do ut this time around.

a couple minor points....

there is a bit of permatex stuch to cam shaft seal from first jbstall. Ive done what I can with light scrubbing and razir blade but im afraud if I go any further ill do more harm then good. On a scale of 1-10 how likely do think it is the seal will leak if I put it back as is? Really bad plan? Its a new seal and getting to parts store isnt easy today so id really like to use it if I can.

thanks for any input!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got the head back together, everything seems kosher, except no play I can feel in cam shaft. I know that manual calls for only 0.002 play so maybe I wouldnt be able to feel any by hand? Anybody know?

also, trying to make the call for copper spray/no copper spray on hg. Some, including manufacturer, say it can mess with the coating on hg meant to do same thing - fill in gaps. But lots say used it for years no prob, what can it hurt. Seems like one of those things, likely okay, but could cause problems.....the one story I havent heard is "didnt use spray, always had problems...." anyone want to put in two more cents?

thanks

Last edited by jesshaines; 07-27-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Resolved problem