Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Revving engine while clutch depressed - smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revving engine while clutch depressed - smoke from exhaust

I haven't driven my Civic for 2.5 weeks. When I decided to start it up, the car wouldn't start up. I figured that my alarm drained out the battery. I called AAA and the AAA guy asked me to pop my hood and turn the ignition. I pressed the clutch, turned the ignition, and the AAA guy pulled on the throttle cable and brought the engine to 7000 rpm while my clutch was still pressed. I saw some smoke come out of the exhaust. When I released the clutch, the smoke stopped coming out. What is the source of the smoke? Do you guys think that this caused any significant damage? I revved the engine to 7000 rpm again and there was no smoke from the exhaust, so the reason for the smoke is the combination of the clutch being pressed and the engine being revved up.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Revving engine while clutch depressed - smoke from exhaust (EricUSC)

its not the combination.. its becuase your cars been sitting and it was cold.. Dont rev your engine too much while its cold its not good for the motor and it will fry your head gasket... He shouldnt have revved it up but it really didnt do anything by him doing it...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Revving engine while clutch depressed - smoke from exhaust (EricUSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I revved the engine to 7000 rpm again and there was no smoke from the exhaust, so the reason for the smoke is the combination of the clutch being pressed and the engine being revved up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But did you push the clutch in again? I highly doubt this has anything to do with the clutch.

If your car was sitting long enough to kill the batt, then it was probably just burning off whatever junk had accumulated.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Revving engine while clutch depressed - smoke from exhaust (Ls_V_TurboSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls_V_TurboSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not the combination.. its becuase your cars been sitting and it was cold..</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was not cold. It around 3 pm on Saturday and it was sunny. When it is cold, you see white/clear smoke coming out of the exhaust. This was a light black smoke.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But did you push the clutch in again? I highly doubt this has anything to do with the clutch.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I did not push the clutch down the 2nd time I revved it up. I'm still believing it was the clutch because I have never seen light black smoke come out of my exhaust and I bring my car to the dealer for service on a regular basis. Don't you guys think that it isn't a good thing to rev up the engine to 7000 rpm with the clutch pressed? I just want to know what the source of the smoke is.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, I did not push the clutch down the 2nd time I revved it up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That would have given you your answer. Do it again sometime, when the car is warmed up, of course.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Don't you guys think that it isn't a good thing to rev up the engine to 7000 rpm with the clutch pressed? I just want to know what the source of the smoke is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you have the clutch pedal in, the clutch is disengaged, the friction plate is not touching the flywheel. Won't harm the car at all, same as revving in neutral.

Even if there was something wrong with the clutch, you would have smelled friction material, and there is no way for any smoke to reach your tailpipe from the clutch housing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have never seen light black smoke come out of my exhaust and I bring my car to the dealer for service on a regular basis. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't really matter, you left your car sitting for 2.5 weeks. Oil could or fuel could have seeped into the chamber, could have been carbon buildup in the exhaust.

Point is, you let the car sit, so there are quite a few things that could have done this, but none of them you should particularly concern yourself with.

There is just no way that anything you did with your clutch could have made black smoke come out of your tailpipe. It was just a coincidence, everything probably burned off by the time you released the clutch.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Revving engine while clutch depressed - smoke from exhaust (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls_V_TurboSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not the combination.. its becuase your cars been sitting and it was cold.. Dont rev your engine too much while its cold its not good for the motor and it will fry your head gasket... He shouldnt have revved it up but it really didnt do anything by him doing it...</TD></TR></TABLE>