Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING??

So

I was driving today on the freeway in 5th gear, then i downshifted to 4th, the engine revved all the way up, engine shut off. I had to coast to the edge of the freeway.

I proceeded to pop the hood on my car and it smelled horribly like clutch.

Now, I figure the car should start, even with a blown clutch. But it doesnt even turn over. It just clicks once or twice.

So basically, what did I expletive up?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all the way up to what
what engine, what valve train
Old 12-13-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING?? (WHACK EG4)

excactly how high did you rev that thing? how fast in 5th were you going when you dropped it to 4th?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1.) the engine "revved all the way up" to what? Redline? Fuel cut? 10,453RPM?

2.) did the car move as the engine was revving up?

3.) Is the clicking a starter solenoid click or a relay click? Do your accessories work or do you have no battery power? Can you push start the car by popping the clutch?

4.) does the clutch pedal feel at all wierd?

5.) have you checked for holes in your block?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING?? (tallyturbo)

yea more detail.. please....
Old 12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING?? (Archidictus)

CAR - 1993 JDM EG4

ENGINE/TRANNY - 1997 USDM DX all stock

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) the engine "revved all the way up" to what? Redline? Fuel cut? 10,453RPM?

2.) did the car move as the engine was revving up?

3.) Is the clicking a starter solenoid click or a relay click? Do your accessories work or do you have no battery power? Can you push start the car by popping the clutch?

4.) does the clutch pedal feel at all wierd?

5.) have you checked for holes in your block?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL sorry this just happened and im a little upset and jumpy.

1. Engine revved to about 7K RPM, I was at about 70 in 5th, and i wanted to pass the big rig in front of me so i dropped it to 4th. I wasnt really looking at the gauge cluster.

2. No it didnt, i had to coast to the side of the freeway

3. All accesories work, sounds like a starter click, can not pop start it - i was trying to do that as i was coasting to the side

4. clutch pedal feels normal and i can put it in all gear normally when the car is off

5. not yet, it just happend and i got it towed to my house and now im at work. (i was on my way to work when it happend.

Thanks for the concern and quick replies guys!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Unceasing Measure

If your clutch exploded hard enough (mine has before...but at 248k ), it could bind the flywheel and, thus, not allow the starter to physically turn the engine over. That could explain the clicking you hear when trying to start it and also why the clutch would just slide over the flywheel without moving the car. That would explain the clutch smell.

However.

If the flywheel was jammed while the car was moving, the RPMs would stop registering - as would the speed - because the crank would stop (and the engine would shut off). My suggestion is to get a breaker bar on the crank pulley and see if you can turn the engine over before getting upset, but if for some reason your clutch let out hard enough at 80mph to stop the inertia of the engine, there might be some serious problem.

Good thing you can get a new DX engine for a quarter in just about any gumball machine in the city

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:13 PM

Just joined this forum for fun. There are maybe 2 people that i would trust for advice here. The rest of you could'nt change a light bulb. Good luck to all those trusting this garbage.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING?? (Carminemb82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carminemb82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just joined this forum for fun. There are maybe 2 people that i would trust for advice here. The rest of you could'nt change a light bulb. Good luck to all those trusting this garbage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your input. Maybe you should go gargle some bleach and die slowly?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for your input. Maybe you should go gargle some bleach and die slowly?</TD></TR></TABLE>[QUOTE=Archidictus]

HAHA

Yea man get a life and get out of here and if you dislike HondaTech so much.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING?? (Carminemb82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carminemb82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just joined this forum for fun. There are maybe 2 people that i would trust for advice here. The rest of you could'nt change a light bulb. Good luck to all those trusting this garbage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea wtf? there are plenty of well educated people on this bored. I trust many of them...
Old 12-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown engine? Blown clutch? Blown SOMETHING?? (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea wtf? there are plenty of well educated people on this bored. I trust many of them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 PM
RTI

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your clutch exploded hard enough (mine has before...but at 248k ), it could bind the flywheel and, thus, not allow the starter to physically turn the engine over. That could explain the clicking you hear when trying to start it and also why the clutch would just slide over the flywheel without moving the car. That would explain the clutch smell.

However.

If the flywheel was jammed while the car was moving, the RPMs would stop registering - as would the speed - because the crank would stop (and the engine would shut off). My suggestion is to get a breaker bar on the crank pulley and see if you can turn the engine over before getting upset, but if for some reason your clutch let out hard enough at 80mph to stop the inertia of the engine, there might be some serious problem.

Good thing you can get a new DX engine for a quarter in just about any gumball machine in the city

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would do what he said. Make sure your engine turns over by turning the crank pulley. Are you positive you didn't go from fifth to second?