Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reverse Screwed Up After Wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Reverse Screwed Up After Wreck?

Okay, so the car (6G Civic EX) was in a fight with a curb and the curb won. The car was traveling fairly slowly, 30 mph TOPS. Damage to the car was low.

But...

Immediately following the wreck reverse started acting up. It's a manual transmission.

You could still easily put the car in reverse, but when you pressed the accelerator the car would barely move. It felt like it wasn't catching.

The car was parked for about twenty minutes and then driven for around ten more minutes, then parked for about half an hour or so again. Then the car was driven for around ten minutes again.

The reverse continued to act up that entire time. The next time it was started (about ten minutes later), it was still acting up.

The car was put in the air and the caster was fixed (adjusted cradle). Around three hours or so later the car works fine. Reverse no longer has a problem.

Two people experienced this several times, so it's not a fluke.

Any idea what could cause reverse to act like that? The technician was equally confused.

Perhaps it has to do with low fluid?

Last edited by NOFX; 01-27-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Screwed Up After Wreck?

As a guess, I'd say its possible the transmission got pushed back ever so slightly causing engagement issues, although that would mean a very slightly bent stablizer bar on the shift linkage too. Only reverse has/had engagement issues? I'm a little, confused though, "it barely moves"? as in it moves a couple of inches and then stops? or it feels more like a slipping clutch?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
As a guess, I'd say its possible the transmission got pushed back ever so slightly causing engagement issues, although that would mean a very slightly bent stablizer bar on the shift linkage too. Only reverse has/had engagement issues? I'm a little, confused though, "it barely moves"? as in it moves a couple of inches and then stops? or it feels more like a slipping clutch?
More like slipping.

It was like if you're pushing something that's stuck to the ground. It would move sometimes and not others and when it did move it did not move as much as it should have been moving.

Like I said, it was the cradle (front subframe) that had to be adjusted. Nothing appeared to be broken and after an alignment the car drives better than before.

I have a quart of MTF here. I'll check it in a bit, but I just got home and finished recording the physical damage.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, i myself have experience this problem, i never figured it out either.my buddy told my to bleed the synchros or something like that, i did, however?? haha same thing, but after sitting for like 20 min, it was fine, it's only happened again like once since, but i dunno, i have never figured it out.then again i remembered reading on another forum about h22 shift linkage(i have an h22 ek), or something along that line, it was the problem, so i don't know.everyone i asked has a puzzled look so, that's it.sorry if im just wasting space. will be keeping up with this.