Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

researching higher compression

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default researching higher compression

you guys know any type of website that would give me massive amounts of information on building a higher compression motor? or where i can get a hold of some material that would make me more knowledgable on the aspect of building a high comp. motor. i wanna build my d16y8. please leave out swap alternatives and such.......i wanna go n/a with my SOHC. thanks....
Old 01-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: researching higher compression (SO[vtec]HC)

somebody.....anybody...???
Old 01-29-2002, 07:42 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/ would be a good place to start. Granted, most of the info on there is about swaps and how-to's and stuff, but there is some info about high compression (you just have to look for it). JG Luder (moderator of prelude forum) knows just about everything there is to know about high compression on an H22A. A lot of the concepts are very similar, you might ask him where to find info).

Old 01-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: researching higher compression (spyder)

thanks man.......
Old 01-29-2002, 07:51 PM

Well I don't know of any sites...

I don't want to have to say this, but for the price it'd cost of making your SOHC come close to making the power of a B16a(One of the cheaper swaps) it would be a lot more reliable and would run better if you just got the B16a. Might have problems smogging after fixing up the SOHC(If you get real serious), and might even be cheaper for a swap.

But you're looking at getting some forged pistons, rods, new rings, bearings, springs, retainers, valves, get your rev limit raised and all the bolt ons. I don't know if they make a Cam for the SOHC, could probably get it reground. Maybe even get a thinner head gasket to raise compression. Mill the head. There's lots of stuff you can do. I would say N2O, but you're N/A. Well, goodluck!
Old 01-29-2002, 08:01 PM
New User

Default Re: researching higher compression (OR-G)

I don't want to have to say this, but for the price it'd cost of making your SOHC come close to making the power of a B16a(One of the cheaper swaps) it would be a lot more reliable and would run better if you just got the B16a. Might have problems smogging after fixing up the SOHC(If you get real serious), and might even be cheaper for a swap.
First of all OR-G, I'm not flaming you. I'm just pointing out that he knows about the cost and has already decided to stay with the SOHC. There is no longer any point in even mentioning swaps.

Yes, someone does make an actual billet cam for the SOHC. Something's bugging me saying that it is Crower that makes the cam, but I'm not sure. Someone please confirm this for me. Whoever it is, everyone else's cams are reground and not as good.

You can put N2O on a N/A engine, you just have to be REALLY CAREFUL tuning and using it.

Old 01-29-2002, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I don't know of any sites...

But you're looking at getting some forged pistons, rods, new rings, bearings, springs, retainers, valves, get your rev limit raised and all the bolt ons. I don't know if they make a Cam for the SOHC, could probably get it reground. Maybe even get a thinner head gasket to raise compression. Mill the head. There's lots of stuff you can do. I would say N2O, but you're N/A. Well, goodluck!
i know that a swap is a good route to go but i wanna see what i can do with this SOHC. i dont want to have crazy power. its a simple street car. i just need that edge if someone wants to pull a fast one. i am really interested in tearing down my motor and building it back up. i need to start learning the internal construction of a motor. i will a have someone along side to help with the work but i only want guidance from him. i am looking at pistons, rods, bearings, cam, v-afc (properly tuned). already have I/H/E..........does anybody know what kind of HP outputs i may be looking at with this setup??
Old 01-29-2002, 08:13 PM
New User

i dont want to have crazy power. its a simple street car. i just need that edge if someone wants to pull a fast one.
To be honest, if that's what you want, then you don't want high compression. A good number of completely stock domestic SEDANS will hand even a high-compression SOHC its *** on a silver platter. What you want is a small to mid-size turbo. You still have the opportunity to build the internals with a turbo. It lets you have the best of both worlds. You can have decent performance or absolutely insane performance at the flick of a switch.

Old 01-29-2002, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all OR-G, I'm not flaming you. I'm just pointing out that he knows about the cost and has already decided to stay with the SOHC. There is no longer any point in even mentioning swaps.
glad you see where im comin from......everyone i talk to about this idea tells me to just go with a swap....i wanna show them something different....this is not common in the area i stay in.....
Old 01-29-2002, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont want to have crazy power. its a simple street car. i just need that edge if someone wants to pull a fast one.

To be honest, if that's what you want, then you don't want high compression. A good number of completely stock domestic SEDANS will hand even a high-compression SOHC its *** on a silver platter. What you want is a small to mid-size turbo. You still have the opportunity to build the internals with a turbo. It lets you have the best of both worlds. You can have decent performance or absolutely insane performance at the flick of a switch.

i have considered that.....it will be a quick fix.....see i really am considering both ideas but i am leaning towards n/a more....i just dont want a swap basically. this poo poo is really buggin me
Old 01-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is why i need more info on high compression....i am not too familiar with it....
Old 01-29-2002, 08:19 PM
New User

Yeah, I can understand not wanting a swap, everybody and their freakin dog has one. Keep in mind that you can get decent power putting a turbo on the SOHC, you don't have to swap for that. Just a thought, will be glad to help in whatever path you follow.

Old 01-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I can understand not wanting a swap, everybody and their freakin dog has one. Keep in mind that you can get decent power putting a turbo on the SOHC, you don't have to swap for that. Just a thought, will be glad to help in whatever path you follow.

thanks for the support. i am somewhat scared of turbos. my boy has a 01 gsr with a dragIII kit (turbo01gsr). anyway he got the turbo installed and we ran it that night. it was so sick i loved it. the next day the motor blew he had a faulty waste gate and it was spiking. he got it rebuilt and he is still having trouble with it. i am just saying that i am on an income that wouldnt support huge problems in the future. i make decent money to get what ever i want on my car but i dont have money to troubleshoot huge problems.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:31 PM

Well Spyder I was just suggesting, as I did not know exactly what he is intending. Some people believe they can stick with the SOHC make the same power as a DOHC and have it be cheaper and run better since it's the original motor. I was just pointing out the swap is usually better in all aspecs.

Since he knows what he wants to do, and as long as he does his research then more power to him
Old 01-29-2002, 08:32 PM
New User

and we ran it that night
That's exactly why it blew. When you put a turbo on a car, you are supposed to break it in gradually just as if the car were brand new.

You crank it up and see how it runs, then you cruise at 10mph for a while, then 20, then 30 and so on until you are up to freeway speeds. you don't punch the throttle at all until you are up at 300-500 miles since the installation. This gives the parts a chance to break in and you a chance to see if anything is wrong before you really start stressing things out.

If done correctly, there is nothing to fear about a turbo.

Old 01-29-2002, 08:34 PM
New User

Some people believe they can stick with the SOHC make the same power as a DOHC and have it be cheaper and run better since it's the original motor.
Yeah, I know what you mean! that's why I said I wasn't flaming you here, have a .

Old 01-29-2002, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and we ran it that night

That's exactly why it blew. When you put a turbo on a car, you are supposed to break it in gradually just as if the car were brand new.

You crank it up and see how it runs, then you cruise at 10mph for a while, then 20, then 30 and so on until you are up to freeway speeds. you don't punch the throttle at all until you are up at 300-500 miles since the installation. This gives the parts a chance to break in and you a chance to see if anything is wrong before you really start stressing things out.

If done correctly, there is nothing to fear about a turbo.

yah we figured to be more careful the next time around.......