Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing rear drums....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear drums....

Its got 166,000 km (not miles) and its starting to make alot of noise. Do the shoes have wear indicators?

Should I go ahead and replace the drums along with the shoes? New wheel cylinders etc.?

Never done a drum job before and I'm not familiar with what needs to be replaced or reused.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Replacing rear drums.... (miksew)

You should just replace the shoes and resurface the drums if necessary. No need to buy new drums. Wheel cylinders should be fine unless its leaking, if it is then you need to replace them too.

Drum job should be the same as brake job except you have drums not rotors, shoes not pads, and cylinders and no calipers.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing rear drums.... (ATEJ8FTW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATEJ8FTW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should just replace the shoes and resurface the drums if necessary. No need to buy new drums. Wheel cylinders should be fine unless its leaking, if it is then you need to replace them too.

Drum job should be the same as brake job except you have drums not rotors, shoes not pads, and cylinders and no calipers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And its generally a pain in the ***.
You will probably need two 8mm fine thread bolts (I think.. I dont quite remember the size) to get the drums off.
If its making noise you will probably have to get them surfaced. As for leaking cylinders, if they are you'll know it.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Replacing rear drums.... (Djaric)

How long do these wheel cylinders usually last?

Its making a knocking sound on every revolution when I am slowing down. Does it sound like I will need the drums resurfaced?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda Tuning Magazine - "Drumming Along"

Just be careful with pulling the drum off. If the shoes have eaten into the drum enough to create a lip on the drum, then when you're pulling it off, you have the potential to RIP the shoes off since the lip is catching the shoes. You have to use the star-wheel (coming from the back side) to pull the shoes in...then use the bolts to pull the drum off.

And make sure to at least turn the drums when installing fresh shoes, if not outright replace them. Don't know how long wheel cylinders last. I have a 99 hatch that has 260k+ miles on it without replacing them. They are cheap to replace though.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miksew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How long do these wheel cylinders usually last?

Its making a knocking sound on every revolution when I am slowing down. Does it sound like I will need the drums resurfaced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Until they leak. There isnt really a set time period.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing rear drums.... (Djaric)

I personally have found that inserting screws to release the drum is useless. Use tons of penetrating fluid where the drum contacts the center part of the hub assembly. You can bang it off with a mini sledge hammer. I tried screws before and the screws pushed the drum out without releasing it hence it warped. The screw snapped off and I drilled it out. I banged it off but I think they are somewhat warped (out of round). And you can't pry off with a screwdriver thanks to Honda's design (you'll see). The noise you hear could be lack of lubrication where the shoes contact the backing plate. You won't have to remove the shoes to lube them up. Try this if you notice very little wear. Does your parking brake come up high? You can self adjust your rears by pulling it up one click and then backing up and pressing the breaks firmly several times. Good luck! You only learn by doing it yourself like me.