Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

replacing radiator / flushing the system questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacing radiator / flushing the system questions.

hey guys

as some of you may know, my radiator decided to crack itself on the top. ive made another thread and got great responses, and ive searched some also.

i have some extra questions i would like to get cleared up.

1) i still do not fully understand the whole radiator flushing part with the water hose in the radiator cap. if i "flush" it all out, wouldnt it all just leak onto my driveway? (which is a bad thing for animals nearby) could someone describe this step more clearly?

is it absolutely necessary for me to perform a full flush? im using prestone coolant right now, but i wish to drain it all out and refill. also would the steps be any different if im replacing a radiator vs flushing the system?

2) it has been brought to my attention that in addition to the wing nut on the bottom of the radiator, there is a bolt on the d16y8 block beside the oil filter that drains the block also.

if i get this bolt off, wont all the coolant come flying down into my face? is there some sort of washer im supposed to replace with the drain bolt? or can i just screw the same one back in?

3) is the radiator supposed to be a little wobbly? i can poke mine and it will move a little back and fourth

4) will i have to remove the splash guard to gain access to the wing nut on the radiator? if i do not replace this guard, will my car have any problems? i hate the guard... its always in the way when i do oil changes etc...

5) is replacing the thermostat absolutely necessary? i mean it reads temps just fine, id like to keep costs down as much as possible.

thanks a mil.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody ?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:04 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ekcivic9)

hey guys

as some of you may know, my radiator decided to crack itself on the top. ive made another thread and got great responses, and ive searched some also.

i have some extra questions i would like to get cleared up.

1) i still do not fully understand the whole radiator flushing part with the water hose in the radiator cap. if i "flush" it all out, wouldnt it all just leak onto my driveway? (which is a bad thing for animals nearby) could someone describe this step more clearly? Well your right that would be pointless, however to flush the system you need to pull the upper radiator hose off and stick a garden hose in the upper block port and let it come out where the lower rad. hose connects to the block. This is where you need to remove the thermostat, and why you should replace it. This gets all the old antifreeze out, and any other crap in there. Some say dont use a garden hose as tap water is bad, but dont worry about it.

is it absolutely necessary for me to perform a full flush? im using prestone coolant right now, but i wish to drain it all out and refill. also would the steps be any different if im replacing a radiator vs flushing the system? No, the steps would all be the same if you replaced the hoses and thermostat.

2) it has been brought to my attention that in addition to the wing nut on the bottom of the radiator, there is a bolt on the d16y8 block beside the oil filter that drains the block also. There is one on the back of the block, but its a bitch to get to, so I wouldnt worry about it

if i get this bolt off, wont all the coolant come flying down into my face? is there some sort of washer im supposed to replace with the drain bolt? or can i just screw the same one back in? If you decide to take this bolt out, I would let the antifreeze/coolant drain as much as much as it can else where (radiator,hoses etc).

3) is the radiator supposed to be a little wobbly? i can poke mine and it will move a little back and fourth. Yes I can move mine back and forth like that as well. Has been like that on the last 3 civics I have owned.

4) will i have to remove the splash guard to gain access to the wing nut on the radiator? if i do not replace this guard, will my car have any problems? i hate the guard... its always in the way when i do oil changes etc... No there is a little access hole in the splash sheild to allow you to get to it.

5) is replacing the thermostat absolutely necessary? i mean it reads temps just fine, id like to keep costs down as much as possible. Its not, but its best to replace it when its easily accesible. Besides its like $5 or so.

thanks a mil.