Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing Dash, ANyone Done it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Dash, ANyone Done it?

I've started work on my 92 Civic that was vandalized. I needed to replace the main center garnish. I thought this was going to be an easy fix by removing the lower dash panels and reaching up to remove and install screws. NOT! I need to remove the whole dash which is a major pita. I have the lower panels removed, glove box removed, ash tray area removed. I've removed the bolt in the center frame assembly that was under the ash tray, I've removed several screws, I've removed the two bolts under the little covers on the left and right side ends, and I've removed the two bolts from the lower left and right corners. I can lift the front of the dash up a few inches, but its still connected to something at the windshield end. I cannot see any other connections, and the exploded views don't show any more bolts. What am I missing and how to I get to what ever I need to undo next?

Thanks
HM56
Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Removing Dash, ANyone Done it? (Hondaman56)

there are 6 bolts holding the dash in, all are painted black. I think you missed the one under the top middle vent in the dash. you have to pull that out and then there is a screw under it. you also need to unplug the dash harness at the fuse panel, unplug the stereo and climate control. drop the steering column.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Removing Dash, ANyone Done it? (94EG8)

you don't have to remove the steering wheel.. just drop the steering column.. only if you don't have the star bit to remove the steering wheel!!..

It's basically common sense, once you start you'll know what your doing..

and if your not mechanically inclined or have a halfwit of common sense, don't touch the car

Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 AM

like 94eg8 said: theres one more left under the upper-center vent. remove that vent and you should see it.

words of encouragment: removing the dash is simple. i always thought it was a pita, until i had to do it. very simple compared to everything else i've had to do to my car.

GL!!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, found the hidden bolt under the top dash vent. I can pull it out a little, but the cluster side is more stubborn. I ran out of time before my son had to take the car to work. So I'll get back into it tommorrow. All I need to do is get it far enough out to get to the center garnish screws etc. out so I can get the old remnant off and install the new one. I am very mechanically inclined, so I should be able to get this out with tips and some time. I think Honda unitized the whole dash assembly and once you unbolt the right bolts and disconnect the right wire connectors, the whole thing should pull out and up. Thanks again. Any more advice, short cuts or proceedures are appreciated feel free to post them.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this was a 3 hour project. For those who need to do it. Remove the little bolt access covers on the ends of the dash and remove the bolts. Pry gently from the front then remove the vent at the top center of the dash, remove the bolt hidden there. Remove the glove box by removing the screw/bolts at each lower corner underneith. Then remove the bar brace by removing the 3 smaller screws and one bolt. Remove the 4 screws that hold the front lower console piece with ashtray/lighter and remove. You'll need to disconnet a wire connection there. Look for a bolt at the bottom of the steel frame and remove that. At each end of the dash look underneith and remove the bolts found there (Passenger side is already off if you pulled the glove box). Remove the plastic trim under the steering wheel that holds the fuse access door, there are three screws. Remove the three screws holding the steering wheel shrowd, and gently seperate the top and bottom pieces and remove them. Look for two bolts holding the metal plate that was under the plastic trim that was under the steering wheel and had the door for the fuse access in it. Remove the two bolts and remove the metal plate. Remove your radio. There are two fairly hard to reach screws up in the radio hole that are holding the heater control in place. Remove them (You do not need to reinstall these, just the back screw will do.). Reach in and remove the single screw holding the back of the heater control in place. Look under the dash on the passenger side and find the hot/cold cable connection. Gently unclip the cable and lower its end off the clip. You should now be able to nudge the heater control assembly forward and out enough to remove the two wire harness connections. There is a wire connector at the back of the radio hole. Right next to it is a clip that holds it to the firewall. Disconnect this connection, its a small gray one. Look under the dash on the drivers side, and remove disconnect the large green, blue, and two gray connectors on the upper left of the fuse box. Reach up and pop out the mirror control, dimmer, moon roof control buttons, and disconnect their wires marking each as to what it went to. Next look under the driver side and find the rear loop holding the steering wheel, and loosen the two bolts, but do not remove them. Then look for the two forward bolts, and remove them. Push the steering wheel down as far as it can go. Pull the dash back from the windshield as far as you can. On the driver side there is a bracket with two relays on it. Unbolt it and let it drop out of your way. Now work the dash back, up, and towards the passenger side. A helper is required. Its a tight squeeze, but can be done and the dash removed via the passenger side. WHEW!!!!!

HM
Old 09-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For reference

Mine came out real easy... took me 45 min