Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removal of oil pressure gauge and fitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of oil pressure gauge and fitting

My 99 DX hatch had an oil pressure gauge installed when I purchased the car. I'm ready to take it out.

The fitting used was a 1/8" NPT, not the 1/8" BSPT fitting it should have been. There are no leaks however, but I'm concerned if I remove the fitting that's in there and try to screw in the stock sending unit, the threads will be all jacked up and it won't thread in properly. Which threads would warp first, the brass fitting or the block? I'm guessing the block.

I notice the end of the stock sending unit has a small hole in it. Now forgive my ignorance, but does oil come out of the hole where the stock sending unit threads into the block? If the stock sending unit doesn't thread in quite right will it still work out ok, or will oil leak out everywhere?

I'm changing the oil this weekend again, so it's a perfect time to do all this.

I'd rather just put this back as close to stock as possible; I'll be selling it within a year probably.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Removal of oil pressure gauge and fitting (******)

just plug the original hole with a same size brass fitting coated with teflon tape. Should work out fine.

Use what you know that keeps it from leaking.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removal of oil pressure gauge and fitting (Red_EM2)

I agree, it's not leaking now so why mess with it....BUT

If I were to use the same size brass fitting why wouldn't I just leave the one in that's in there now?

How would I attached the dummy light for the oil pressure gauge though? Without running something up to the firewall and having a junction there I can't think of another good way.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other ideas? Just shoot for the moon and try it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ****** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I notice the end of the stock sending unit has a small hole in it. Now forgive my ignorance, but does oil come out of the hole where the stock sending unit threads into the block? If the stock sending unit doesn't thread in quite right will it still work out ok, or will oil leak out everywhere?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can anyone answer this definitively?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where the stock sending unit screws into the block, hell yea oil will shoot out of there, and leak if not properly threaded and sealed
Old 08-05-2006, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removal of oil pressure gauge and fitting (sicones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where the stock sending unit screws into the block, hell yea oil will shoot out of there, and leak if not properly threaded and sealed</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I figured. How else could it work.

Maybe what I'll do is take out the fitting that's in there now, try and screw in the stock unit. If it won't go in easy or smoothly, then I'll just put the brass fitting back in. If it's in now and it works, I should be able to remove it and put it back in without a problem.