Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Remote Start System

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start System

Hi,
I was wonder if you have a remote starter system in your cars..?
How it works and what is the price...?
Is it complicate to install it (without visiting service) ?
I have 96 EX ...
THX!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Remote Start System (unidennew)

It's a complicated install not recommended for someone who hasn't been trained.

It's also expensive. Right around $500.

Options for manual transmission cars can be more expensive and can compromise the safety of the vehicle and any property nearby.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I took way too long

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Remote Start System (suspendedHatch)

Nope I don't have one.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Remote Start System (slowmanEK)

Well I am not an expert, but I think it is not that expensive.. I found online at: http://crimestopper.com/ some kits for 150$ and in the manual looks like it is easy to do... Just cut one cable plug according to instruction and should be fine.
And with the manual well... when I leave my car on the first gear, without pressing clutch I can't start the engine, so only if I leave it on the neutral gear I can run the engine.. It should be safe.. right...
Guy's I think it is a great stuff to have (winter and summer)...
Maybe someone have it? ANYONE?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trust me bro i know how to put in remote start systems and its gonan be hard even lookin at the manual.. a d on 5 speed cars there are alot of extra parts that u will ahve to buy. local shop in my area <NC> chagre 350 installed for the auto page 1000. if u do it urself u prob gonna expletive up something.. to many wires to be going into it blind..
Old 10-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Remote Start System (luvmihatch)

TOO.. bad.. I really start to like this idea..... Maybe will look look around in my area to see who and for how much will do it...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:31 PM

remote start= car stolen... i know a few ppl who this has happened to.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Remote Start System (93egB16A)

How? Because someone broke the widow and drove away? or by using some advance frequency (remote) to imitate the signal and run the car itself?... Just wonder...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM

the first one was they used a coat hanger and opened the door and drove off.... then the other was they started it inside their house and it didnt auto-lock like it was supposed to and it was gone when they came out 3 minutes later.... it is a good idea but kinda unsafe.... what if someone just hopped in the back of ur car and was waiting for u and didnt steal it? its has pros and cons.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egB16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">remote start= car stolen... i know a few ppl who this has happened to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

because it wasn't installed right, as soon as someone opens the door without de-arming the alarm the engine dies likewise with pushing the brake pedal or breaking the stearing column and turing the ignition switch AND reving the engine also kills the engine (there is a tach input to the alarm module)
Old 10-07-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Remote Start System (sicones)

yes that is right... I have just read:
"Can my vehicle be stolen when it is remote started?

Crimestopper systems incorporate multiple layers of protection against theft while your vehicle is remote started. When your installation includes keyless entry, the remote starter locks the vehicle while running; therefore it would require forced entry to gain access to the vehicle. Secondly, the remote start system includes a �Brake reset� circuit. In order to get your vehicle into gear the brake must be depressed. If the brake is pressed without your key in the Ignition switch turned to the ON position, the engine will instantly shut down. Thirdly, when using a safety hood pin switch, a remote started engine will instantly shut down if someone forces entry by opening the hood."

hm.. ANYONE HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS STUFF..? [
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egB16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">remote start= car stolen... i know a few ppl who this has happened to.</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah bc **** wasnt hooked up rite.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

because it wasn't installed right, as soon as someone opens the door without de-arming the alarm the engine dies likewise with pushing the brake pedal or breaking the stearing column and turing the ignition switch AND reving the engine also kills the engine (there is a tach input to the alarm module)</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2

there are a hand fullof theft deterant things built into the system that u are not told. this also goes with my state ment of not doing it ur self.. just go to a shop and get um 2 do it ur self.. we have a shop called car stero warehouse.. and they have great systems at a really good price. id go c if u can find one of those near by
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

K one of my civics my 96 DX has remote start and its a 5-speed. its a hornet 564T got it on ebay for 45$$ dollars shipped. awesome deal. installed for 100$$ The remote start will not continue to run if the proper key sequence is not inputted. the car will die. and alarm goes off full blast. mine also has a battery backup and a proximity sensor. hell of a deal.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a question, i have a remote start, it was in the car when i bought it but i dont know how to use it, in order for it to work the clutch has to be pressed, now at first i would take a 2x4 and shove it between my clutch and seat and thad work fine, but i was told that some manual civics have a clutch release button. if so where is this located? (btw i have a 94 honda civic 2dr coupe)
Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a Bulldog 500 Remote Start thing in my car for a while (5spd 98 Civic) and it was very nice for cold weather mornings, but very unsafe. If left in gear the clutch bypass will start the car and whether or not you have the hand brake on your car will lurch forward, if the brake is on it will not go that far, but if its not on... goodbye.

It;s not hard to install one. I did the whole install on mine, and every piece that was needed to be installed was done. It would cut off when the brake was pressed, hood opened, gas pressed, etc. Only took me 4 hours or so to do it all.

I stress the safety issues caused by running one of these in your car, and for a manual transmission do NOT suggest putting one of these in it.

By the way, the crimestopper brand isn't very good. My roommate had one (before I ripped it out) and it sucked, it wouldn't start his car very often, alarm never seemed to be very loud if it worked anyway.