Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

relay switch or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relay switch or something else?

car cranks but dosen't start. Sometimes it will start and then when I turn it off and start it again it just cranks or I'll here a motor like sound at the driver side under the steering wheel. Its a big grey piece with a red connector going into it. What is that and could it be the source of my problems? So far I replaced the dizzy cap, ICM, and ignitionn coil. What could it be? specs, 92 hatch sohc vtec.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: relay switch or something else? (Mr. Roboto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Roboto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">car cranks but dosen't start. Sometimes it will start and then when I turn it off and start it again it just cranks or I'll here a motor like sound at the driver side under the steering wheel. Its a big grey piece with a red connector going into it. What is that and could it be the source of my problems? So far I replaced the dizzy cap, ICM, and ignitionn coil. What could it be? specs, 92 hatch sohc vtec.

thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that gray piece with the redish connector to it is your main relay, and yes it could be the source of your problem if it's about to check out.

if you cannot hear your fuel pump priming (a humming noise when you turn your car on, not start it but turn it on) it's most likely the main relay.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: relay switch or something else? (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that gray piece with the redish connector to it is your main relay, and yes it could be the source of your problem if it's about to check out.

if you cannot hear your fuel pump priming (a humming noise when you turn your car on, not start it but turn it on) it's most likely the main relay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The sound the main relay makes I can't even hear the fuel pump starting because the main relay is ticking, like a motorized back and forth sound and then the lights on the dash are flickiering including the check engine light. Then sometimes it just starts right up fine. Thats the symptom of a main relay failure?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so you are getting a CEL. this link will help you trouble shoot for the code.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

as for the pump, if all possible, try to have someone turn the key for you and sit in the back seat. you should be able to hear the fuel pump make a humming noise. if it's not making the noise, then chances are it's your relay.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:32 PM

hmmm... I'll try that out, but keep in mind, I don't always get a cel. Only when the main relay starts acting up.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mr. Roboto,

Were you able to fix this problem? If so, was the main relay the problem?

I'm having a similar problem in my 91 Accord.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: relay switch or something else? (Flatland2D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flatland2D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mr. Roboto,

Were you able to fix this problem? If so, was the main relay the problem?

I'm having a similar problem in my 91 Accord.

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my apoligies I haven't isolated the problem yet, but I will be getting the main relay checked out. i'll keep you posted