Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Re: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Thanks! I am going to pick some up for the rear LCA project, and for the brake slide pins.
I decided to get brake pads as well and will do those while I am in there. I have not done the rear pads in years, and I do not like the fronts. I saw in a different thread that the OEM pads are Nissin, which were the last set of front pads that I liked...
Maybe this is a naive question, but is the silicone grease used to grease the outer metal sleeve of the bushing (between bushing sleeve and control arm) to ease pressing in, or the sleeve where the bolt passes through, or neither and there's somewhere else to apply it I am forgetting?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:53 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

Rubber loves silicon so I think they are saying to just apply it to the outside to help condition and prevent hardening and cracking.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Alright, I can feel my ADD kicking in here a little bit, so I think I need to make a list of things I want to do to make the Si a little more DD friendly:
  1. New muffler - WS2 80mm Turbo Universal - looks like it will fit, but before I do that, I want to install #2 (below)
  2. Rear swaybar - EX or DC2 Integra - requires tapped LCAs, might as well do #3 while I am in there,
  3. LCA & RTA bushings
  4. WIndsheild squirters - Fit - 76810-S10-A01,
  5. Tranny lube - GM Synchromesh FM MTF + Moly Slip
  6. IAB - get it working - why doesn't it work???
  7. Front brake pads - Nissin semi-metal
  8. Front end sheet metal + bumper skin
  9. Depo light housings

Just noticed my list references squirters and tranny...
I got to cross one item off the list - got the GM FM SynchroMesh MTF in that B-series transmixer. So far it feels marginally better. I think it was @TomCat39 who said it takes a few miles before that stuff works its magic. We will see.

I got a chance to take a look at my RTA bushings - they look torn up! I can't wait for the new ones to show up. I still have not seen shipping confirmation from Honda. I wonder if they are having trouble getting those LCAs in?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I got to cross one item off the list - got the GM FM SynchroMesh MTF in that B-series transmixer. So far it feels marginally better. I think it was @TomCat39 who said it takes a few miles before that stuff works its magic. We will see.
I never said any distance or time. For me I noticed immediately the difference when I did the GM Synchro FM and Molyslip. But I had also downgraded from Honda MTF to Pennzoil Synchromesh (not FM) and was not liking it at all.

From the Honda MTF, it would likely only be a small difference. But for my understanding the GM Synchro FM is closer in formulation to the old MTF that was made for the 5th and 6th gen manuals. Current Honda MTF has been reformulated for the current manuals but is still "okay" for the older ones.

Really, the best of the best is still probably Torco, but it also has a much shorter change interval so adds up after awhile.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I never said any distance or time. For me I noticed immediately the difference when I did the GM Synchro FM and Molyslip. But I had also downgraded from Honda MTF to Pennzoil Synchromesh (not FM) and was not liking it at all.

From the Honda MTF, it would likely only be a small difference. But for my understanding the GM Synchro FM is closer in formulation to the old MTF that was made for the 5th and 6th gen manuals. Current Honda MTF has been reformulated for the current manuals but is still "okay" for the older ones.

Really, the best of the best is still probably Torco, but it also has a much shorter change interval so adds up after awhile.
Thanks TC! I was replacing some 10w-30 that probably had ~130k miles on it, so hopefully this is a pretty good upgrade. It seems like 2nd gear is a little reluctant, or 1st gear can be tough if I almost stopped, but not 100% stopped - like if you are rolling up to a light and you are almost stopped but the car in front of you starts to move. Not sure if that makes sense...
Old 01-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I don't ever try forcing 1st while the car is moving, ever. I usually go 2nd or 3rd gear depending on entry speed of a corner.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:18 PM
#1 Super Guy

It's totally fine if you double-clutch and rev-match. Of course you would look pretty silly doing this at every stop.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Hysterically Calm

I also do another additive, but most people will say it's snake oil. I however feel it keeps and can even bring back some use in a worn but not broke manual transmission.

I have had zero issues and great success when I keep Xado Manual Transmission EX120 in the gear box. It seems to keep the dreaded ISB problem away no matter how much I abused the high mileage transmission I've had.

Been doing it for years now with no ill effects and the bearings have always stayed in great condition.

Amazon Amazon

I know most people will say snake oil, but I've had some interesting results with it, including getting rid of a mild knock in my old engine. After 4 or 5 treatments the knock was finally going away and then I got stupid and did the WOT stone cold engine burn out cuz I was pissed at kids and got the knock right back after months and months of work to get rid of it. Then I swapped the engine.

Anyways, I believe in the stuff to keep things going as they are with my abuse and so far it's worked. And it's never harmed anything to date. Only used the engine and the manual tranny additives though.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I don't ever try forcing 1st while the car is moving, ever. I usually go 2nd or 3rd gear depending on entry speed of a corner.
Not a corner, just literally creeping up to a light and trying to time my approach so I can roll, but the light is messing with me and making me stop. Way too slow for 2nd, unless you want to lug the engine, which I hate...
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

I also do another additive, but most people will say it's snake oil. I however feel it keeps and can even bring back some use in a worn but not broke manual transmission.

I have had zero issues and great success when I keep Xado Manual Transmission EX120 in the gear box. It seems to keep the dreaded ISB problem away no matter how much I abused the high mileage transmission I've had.

Been doing it for years now with no ill effects and the bearings have always stayed in great condition.

https://www.amazon.com/XADO-Revitali...l+transmission

I know most people will say snake oil, but I've had some interesting results with it, including getting rid of a mild knock in my old engine. After 4 or 5 treatments the knock was finally going away and then I got stupid and did the WOT stone cold engine burn out cuz I was pissed at kids and got the knock right back after months and months of work to get rid of it. Then I swapped the engine.

Anyways, I believe in the stuff to keep things going as they are with my abuse and so far it's worked. And it's never harmed anything to date. Only used the engine and the manual tranny additives though.
What is dreaded ISB problem?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Hysterically Calm

Input Shaft Bearing (ISB) is a known bearing to wear first and start causing chatter.

If you don't replace it (requires cracking the case open) when it starts to chatter it can destroy the transmission when it finally fails. It tends to be the bearing that takes the most force and so is the first to show wear symptoms in most cases.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

My Sedan had that issue when I first bought it. Honestly not too bad of a job once you've done it once or twice. Just be careful with the snap ring! I detailed it rather closely in my refresh thread.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/94-ex-sedan-refresh-series-unfortunate-events-3290093/
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
My Sedan had that issue when I first bought it. Honestly not too bad of a job once you've done it once or twice. Just be careful with the snap ring! I detailed it rather closely in my refresh thread.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/94-ex-sedan-refresh-series-unfortunate-events-3290093/
I too detailed when I did mine in my Condo on the Dining Room floor, including a flashlight poor man seal driver LoL:

P20/A000 Repair (ISB replacement)

Of note at the end of my thread (when I was learning the differences between USDM and CDM gear ratios) I was going to go with synthetic motor oil for the tranny. I learned going synthetic is not recommended. Stick with conventional dyno oil if you want to do the 10w30 motor oil method.

Also I learned, the Pennzoil Synchromesh sucked badly, especially in cold weather. Definitely need GM FM with molyslip, that seems to be the best method outside of Torco MTF.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Fish Twig

I've seen youtube videos of people freezing the bearing to shrink it so it will slide in easy.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Hysterically Calm

I've seen youtube videos of people freezing the bearing to shrink it so it will slide in easy.
That's exactly what I did, the one drawback is the air condenses quite a bit of water in the bearing. I flushed mine out with the molyslip additive as best as possible before assembly after I got the bearing into that half of the case. I didn't like the idea of that much water initiating the brand new bearing before the oil got up there. Let alone having that much water in the case to contaminate the oil to start with.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Fish Twig

That's exactly what I did, the one drawback is the air condenses quite a bit of water in the bearing. I flushed mine out with the molyslip additive as best as possible before assembly after I got the bearing into that half of the case. I didn't like the idea of that much water initiating the brand new bearing before the oil got up there. Let alone having that much water in the case to contaminate the oil to start with.
good point.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 PM
#1 Super Guy

Could you simply freeze it in a cup of 0w20 (or your preferred MTF), then simply take the cup with you, remove the bearing, and drop in? Wouldn't have time to collect condensation and cold oil would still repel water correct?
Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

I stand corrected, it was not you, there was someone in the MTF thread that was talking about the GM SM FM in his S2k and said it took them a few miles. No worries.

The other thought that occurred to me is that I am running a short-throw shifter, so that must require more effort if I have a shorter lever...
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Input Shaft Bearing (ISB) is a known bearing to wear first and start causing chatter.

If you don't replace it (requires cracking the case open) when it starts to chatter it can destroy the transmission when it finally fails. It tends to be the bearing that takes the most force and so is the first to show wear symptoms in most cases.
Originally Posted by LiteraCola
I too detailed when I did mine in my Condo on the Dining Room floor, including a flashlight poor man seal driver LoL:

P20/A000 Repair (ISB replacement)

Of note at the end of my thread (when I was learning the differences between USDM and CDM gear ratios) I was going to go with synthetic motor oil for the tranny. I learned going synthetic is not recommended. Stick with conventional dyno oil if you want to do the 10w30 motor oil method.

Also I learned, the Pennzoil Synchromesh sucked badly, especially in cold weather. Definitely need GM FM with molyslip, that seems to be the best method outside of Torco MTF.
Thanks for the replies, I will beware the chatter. None so far that I can detect.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Could you simply freeze it in a cup of 0w20 (or your preferred MTF), then simply take the cup with you, remove the bearing, and drop in? Wouldn't have time to collect condensation and cold oil would still repel water correct?
Man, that is some serious knowledge dropping in here! I like it...
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM
#1 Super Guy

Well.... I genuinely was asking. I've never done such a thing, nor have I heard of anyone doing it. Idea popped into my head and seemed logical. I have no idea if it works or not.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Hysterically Calm

That's actually not a bad idea. The air is still going to condense on the oil but at least there is the barrier.

Really though, I wouldn't worry about it and instead of trying to flush it with oil, I'd shoot it with brake cleaner. Since it's alcohol based it absorbs the water and evaporates/displaces very efficiently.

I was in a hurry and sitting in my dining room so wanted to avoid a well ventilation required product.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Great ideas. Has me thinking about the -80 degrees C freezers we have here at work... That and leaving the case out in the sun should do the trick!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Great ideas. Has me thinking about the -80 degrees C freezers we have here at work... That and leaving the case out in the sun should do the trick!
Sounds like overkill. Just tossing it in our freezer at home (not deep freezer just fridge freezer) for 4 hours before I went to do it let me pop it in without any issue. I don't even think I had to tap it much.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
I kinda assumed they were different manufactures of parts for cars built in different countries. They at least will be interchangeable/compatible if you insist on sticking with OEM. Originally there was also be different shock/spring setups for the various vehicles.

I can definitely say that just because it "appears" in available to purchase, doesn't mean it actually is. The parts for these cars are disappearing daily. If you are really interested in purchasing OEM, I highly recommend you contact your parts person right away to confirm availability of anything you want. In the last few months of parts searching, I would say less than 50% of the parts I requested for the 5th gen Civic were still available between Canada and USA. Almost all the interior stuff is already gone. Lots of the exterior stuff is getting harder to find too and the prices are already jacking up.
I took your guidance to heart and ordered the the LCAs. It took them over a week to ship, so I was getting nervous, but here they are!

Now that I look at the pictures, I think I labeled the bags incorrectly:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Refresh of 94 Civic Si w/ ABS after accident