Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Trailing Arm bushing gone bad???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Trailing Arm bushing gone bad???

I'm trying to help a friend out with a 00 civic coupe and she has this really horrible scraping/squeaking noise coming from the rear right of the car.

Under normal driving through small bumps, the car sounds fine, but noise becomes present when either the car is doing a hard/fast left turn, or have at least one person sitting in the back or if the rear right tire hits a larger bump/pothole.

She's on stock shocks with eibach lowering springs. She's not looking into modifying the car, she actually wants the car back to stock, but before she starts randomly changing out parts, is this the actual culprit of what's causing the noise?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear Trailing Arm bushing gone bad???

Squeaks can be very hard to find and figure out sometimes. Could be the shocks squeaking and I am sure if the TA Bushings are worn out they could very well squeak as well.

Look at the TA Bushing and see if its busted or not. At least then you will know if its good or bad and could possibly delete a possibility.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know it's not the shocks as I did a quick swap with a different/newer shock and the squeaking is still there.

I wish there was a way to replicate the noise while the car is in the air with no tire on so I could pinpoint which or what is making the noise. But everything seems so rigid under there...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what you mean, if only you could make the same squeak happen while your under the car so you could put your finger on it. To bad it doesn't usually work that way. Squeaks are very annoying as well, I have a squeak coming from somewhere in my drivers door panel. It will drive me insane..doing a test and driving around with the door panel removed resulted in no squeaking but with panel on, I get this annoying squeaking. If I push my hand against the door panel the squeaking will stop with pressure..can't figure out what exactly it is though.

BTW sorry I haven't been able to be of more help to you on this situation.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by randomtask77
I'm trying to help a friend out with a 00 civic coupe and she has this really horrible scraping/squeaking noise coming from the rear right of the car.

Under normal driving through small bumps, the car sounds fine, but noise becomes present when either the car is doing a hard/fast left turn, or have at least one person sitting in the back or if the rear right tire hits a larger bump/pothole.

She's on stock shocks with eibach lowering springs. She's not looking into modifying the car, she actually wants the car back to stock, but before she starts randomly changing out parts, is this the actual culprit of what's causing the noise?
does it squeak more rapidly when you give it more gas? could be a wheel bearing. TA bushings often go bad, but i dont think its your problem [could be though]. they have OEM ta bushings for 25 bucks shipped on ebay, actual oem's, not ebay knockoff junk. company is amautoparts. im replacing mine just because theyre rotting out.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be the bushing, if it was a wheel bearing you should be able to shake the wheel while its jacked up.
Damn i hate squeaks, my car does this and i just want to push it off a cliff..
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by randomtask77

You could take a peak at the rear trailing arm bushing. I just replaced mine due to the rubber inserts cracking
Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AWD: Jeff
You could take a peak at the rear trailing arm bushing. I just replaced mine due to the rubber inserts cracking
i have 2 ta bushings in my garage, my stock ones are cracked to the point i can see through the rubber. what all goes into changing them? jack the car up, unbolt the toe, and push them out with a punch? or do i need a special tool?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civics4lyfe
i have 2 ta bushings in my garage, my stock ones are cracked to the point i can see through the rubber. what all goes into changing them? jack the car up, unbolt the toe, and push them out with a punch? or do i need a special tool?
Here's a writeup I found on the TA Bushings. If you don't have that tool this guy has I think you have to remove the TA from the car.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/how-quick-easy-civic-integra-trailing-arm-bushing-replacement-also-es-poly-vs-mugen-1589298/
Old 04-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You may be able to rent the tool, make sure its for a honda. My friends dad did his with a hammer, and it worked out just fine.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car doesn't squeak when the car is accelerating. It only happens when hard/fast left turns are made, or when the rear right tire hits a bump/hole on the road.

Also it's more common when weight is introduced to the rear of the car.

How much would it normally cost to get this replaced at a shop?