Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear rivet for mugen hood pins

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear rivet for mugen hood pins

So I finally got around to installing my hood pins the other day (huge pain in the *** trying to get the holes right). Anyways, I used a rivet gun for the front two holes, but the gun won't fit in the space for the back hole. Anyone have any suggestions? I was told to use rivets, so someone has got to have done it. Are there rivet guns with a really thin tip?

See how the sides of the pin make it a really thin space for the back hole?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: rear rivet for mugen hood pins (alacard)

I see, I know there are different sizes of rivet guns, not sure if there is a huge difference in the tip though. I'd do a little shopping, check em out.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rivet gun did fit in the space, but to be honest, it's probably not even necessary to use the third hole, as long as the pin is secured to the hood.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear rivet for mugen hood pins (WihaSi)

what i did was drill the hole for the rivet, put the rivet in then stacked small washers on the end of the rivet until the rivet gun cleared.

It's a good idea to tape all washers, or nuts if you choose, together after you've detetmined how many you need so that they don't go flying all over the place when the rivet gun pops.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: rear rivet for mugen hood pins (BignevadaBoB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BignevadaBoB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i did was drill the hole for the rivet, put the rivet in then stacked small washers on the end of the rivet until the rivet gun cleared. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good suggestion.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear rivet for mugen hood pins (BignevadaBoB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My rivet gun did fit in the space, but to be honest, it's probably not even necessary to use the third hole, as long as the pin is secured to the hood. </TD></TR></TABLE> Hmm, well that gives me the incentive to find one that fits. I was thinking the same thing, but the holes are there and everything, it just looks kind of tacky.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BignevadaBoB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i did was drill the hole for the rivet, put the rivet in then stacked small washers on the end of the rivet until the rivet gun cleared.

It's a good idea to tape all washers, or nuts if you choose, together after you've detetmined how many you need so that they don't go flying all over the place when the rivet gun pops. </TD></TR></TABLE>
So let me see if I am understanding this correctly. Put the rivet in the gun, then stack the necessary amount of washers either on the rivet or on top of the hole. Then pop the gun. After its all said and done you will have stack of washers and then a rivet?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So let me see if I am understanding this correctly. Put the rivet in the gun, then stack the necessary amount of washers either on the rivet or on top of the hole. Then pop the gun. After its all said and done you will have stack of washers and then a rivet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have it a bit mixed up. Put the rivet through the hole in the hood pin. Then stack some small washers until they are flush with the top edges of the pin (where the gun wouldn't fit). Then use the gun to pop the rivet. The gun will push against the washers just like it was pushing against the rivet itself, and when you're finished, you'll have a normal rivet and the washers will just fall away.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear rivet for mugen hood pins (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You have it a bit mixed up. Put the rivet through the hole in the hood pin. Then stack some small washers until they are flush with the top edges of the pin (where the gun wouldn't fit). Then use the gun to pop the rivet. The gun will push against the washers just like it was pushing against the rivet itself, and when you're finished, you'll have a normal rivet and the washers will just fall away. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear rivet for mugen hood pins (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have it a bit mixed up. Put the rivet through the hole in the hood pin. Then stack some small washers until they are flush with the top edges of the pin (where the gun wouldn't fit). Then use the gun to pop the rivet. The gun will push against the washers just like it was pushing against the rivet itself, and when you're finished, you'll have a normal rivet and the washers will just fall away. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ah, I see. Didn't quite understand because this was my first time using a rivet gun, and I'm still not too knowledgable on how it works. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll have to try that out.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 PM

i guess i dont understand why you just didnt use enclosed screws
Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 PM

i guess i dont understand why you just didnt use enclosed screws