Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Ended

So if it hasn't been a crappy month already I happen to get rear ended at a stop light. So far it looks as if the tail light, bumper, trunk, and structure under the bumper are gone. I was able to open the trunk and see that hinge for the trunk pushed forward. So what should be straight is now at an angle. So my question is this a possibility to total the car because it seems as if part of the body bent in. I'm really hoping not because this is my first car and its a car I have plans in the future for, I genuinely love this car and don't want to let it go because of some dumbass. It's my first accident so I have no idea what happens.

I've attached a pic of what happened
Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear Ended

damage doesnt look that bad. oh and lold @ plate
Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only way to see if theres frame damage is to send it to the body shop.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't look too bad, as long as the motors fine and the suspension is still straight it's still reliable. Don't cringe at the body work just yet, get it quoted/inspected for the damage. Body panel wise you'll need the skirt that's under the tail-light (any 96-00 coupe), a rear bumper (any 96-98 or 99-00 coupe or sedan). Trunk from any 96-00 coupe too if you really need it, but it looks cheaper to repair at home (DIY)

Honestly, it's just cosmetics right now, you can still have fun with it! I have a cracked bumper, a messed up outer taillight and a green skirt panel because of the accident my Civic had. If you really love working on your car, and have the patience and money on the side to get it then do so. If you can find a 96-00 Coupe that has the same exact color as yours out at a junkyard or at a local craigslist ad, then throw some offers to get used/replacement body parts. (Do this only after the frame is repaired, you don't want to have nice body panels on a poor/misaligned frame)
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear there's still hope in the car. Finally insurance was able to approve the claim after contacting the guy. I'll be taking her in this week for the body shop to molest her. Thanks hatchman, I used to have a better plate till the DMV took it away. By the way the car randomly overheated today while I was idling in a parking spot today. I'm wondering if it was caused by the exhaust since its been rattling ever since the accident. This was the first time I've ever seen it overheat in my ownership. after I shut off the engine for 5 mins and started driving it didn't overheat anymore. Thanks guys for your help
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you're not giving up!
Was the whole exhaust pushed forward? From the tailpipe to the manifold?
Let's hope it's not another problem that just came up, worst it could be is a faulty waterpump and blown headgasket.
Next time you go and run it and if it starts overheating, make sure the radiator fan is running. feel the lower radiator hose (pinch it) and feel the upper radiator hose (pinch it too) If the lower radiator hose (the long one that extends from the bottom of the radiator to the back of the cylinder head) doesn't feel warm at all, then it's possible your thermostat isn't acting properly.