Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Disk Convertion

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Disk Convertion

Is a rear disk convertion on a ek to a gsr worth it? Seems like its hella work. And i heard it doesnt really improve braking that much, just for looks.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (WeakEK)

You heard wrong!

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

Also, it's conversion, not convertion...
Old 08-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (H23AHybridEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23AHybridEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You heard wrong!

...</TD></TR></TABLE>

very well said......there is a reason sports cars and track cars have rear discs...they brake better!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (H23AHybridEG)

alright you got me, I have been thinking about doing this and i saw you posted links and i was like **** yes and clicked without reading and immedialty felt like a dumbass
Old 08-09-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (92RED Hatch)

Youre pretty ******* wrong if you think discs brake significantly better than drums.

Honestly, unless youre racing on some type of course, rear discs are a waste of time, drums are more than enough. Of course all the ricers here who go "OMG REAR DISCS!!!!" will tell you im dead wrong, along with most of the people who have done the swap.

Take it for what you will and do some research.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (rentacop)

disks are easier to change, have more options for upgrading, and look a lot better I don't think it matters really though unless you upgrade the front to. becuase if you think about it, most of your stopping power comes from the front. When you change your disks you have to put in a different prop valve, and common sense tells me the reason for this is because you need to have the same amount of power in back as you did before you did the rear disk conversion. I could of course be wrong though, I'm not a honda tech ^_^
Old 08-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (Ajax)

in my opinion i wont even look at a cars that have baby brakes (drums) ! four wheels disc is the sh*t would want ne thing else but that !
Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Youre pretty ******* wrong if you think discs brake significantly better than drums.

Honestly, unless youre racing on some type of course, rear discs are a waste of time, drums are more than enough. Of course all the ricers here who go "OMG REAR DISCS!!!!" will tell you im dead wrong, along with most of the people who have done the swap.

Take it for what you will and do some research.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not trying to be a dick but....dude you are crazy!!.....yeah for the street drums are fine but last time I checked people here like to modify their car and go faster and etc. etc. To make their cars more like sports like...get better performance...whatever.... So slowing down faster would be something that would make sense...even a little bit..

Next time you throw something out there like you just did remember that your stock air-box works just fine..your stock exhaust works just fine..your stock suspension works just fine......Yes it all works just fine for street cars that just go to the grocery store and to church every Sunday....I hope you haven't done any mods such as the basics because if you have you're bathing in your own hypocrisy my friend....If you do your car up to feel faster and act like a sports car..beefing up your brakes goes hand in hand.....hope you understand and take your own advice and do some research....
Old 08-10-2004, 12:23 AM
HT Black Ops

I just finished my rear drum to disc conversion on my eg hatch tonight, I had already did the front brake upgrade from my 9" rotors to a GSR set up and really didn't notice much of a differance, but the rear disc conversion(even without the booster/master cylinder/ or preportioning valve) I noticed alot more stopping power with less pedal pressure
Old 08-10-2004, 01:58 AM
most hood white kid

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (92 civic VX B18c)

is there a write-up on how to do the conversion, been thinking about doing it for awhile but not sure. just wondering if someone could tell me how or someone has aleready written it up. thanks.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a search button
Old 08-10-2004, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (Allmotorek)

well it's been discussed in the autox/roadrace forum and most of the people said it was pretty pointless to do a rear disc conversion because of the weight difference lighter is better correct?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (egb18turbo)

Depends on the type of racing. Discs are better because they don't fade as bad under continuous hard braking for a long period of time.. If you're not racing like that though drums are plenty good. I put on discs because the swap is easier to do then to change the rear shoes
Old 08-10-2004, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drums: stronger stopping power, don't cool as quickly, a pain to work on
discs: less stopping power, cool better, easy to work on
Old 08-10-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

The biggest difference is balanced braking. Instead of 80% of the braking going to the front, you get a more balanced feel. This helps especially when cornering. It virtually eliminates "nose dive" experienced with the stock rear drum setup.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Youre pretty ******* wrong if you think discs brake significantly better than drums.

Honestly, unless youre racing on some type of course, rear discs are a waste of time</TD></TR></TABLE>

ha ha ha

were you serious?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:38 AM
most hood white kid

i did a search, and nothing came back, I mean, so if anyone has a link to a thread about this, let me know.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
* B A N N E D *

Most people (like me) will do this conversion casuse they like working on cars. I'm doing this conversion in december. Rear disc brakes are better, that goes without saying. COol better, easier to work on, and much better looks. Its kinda like this: Get a Dell or get a custom built Computer. The Dell, almost as good, will be less, well, user friendly. Harder to wrok on, looks boring, and just the feel that you know you can have a customizable PC is nice. Cause you know what could be wrong, like why I torque all my bolts myself. If you wanna do it, go for it. It will be worth the cost, but its whether its worth it to you. I'm gonna keep my car for a long time, I just got some 16s for my EJ6, and think the drums look bad, plus I want that brake distribution of disks, the added stopping power, and the um, less brake associated problems with discs.
My only arguement against this conversion is maybe the cost (isnt too bad), but just check and make sure you have the right parts, not too hard, but easily overlooked. My other arguement against it is that drums wear at like 1/3 the rate. Rotors may have to be turned like 40k miles like mine, whereas my drums in the back at 94k miles are fine, and actually I do not need new shoes yet.

Mike
Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (Redline96LX)

Youre pretty ******* wrong if you think discs brake significantly better than drums.

Take it for what you will and do some research.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Just answer me this then Mr. Disk brakes suck. Why is it that almost all sports cars come with Disc Brakes from the factory, but the economy cars still end up with drum brakes? Dont tell me that the auto manufacturers have been putting the good brakes on the cheaper cars for years just because! I am a student to stupid's law of absurdity, please educate me.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (Evil_Wizard)

How to put X Brakes on Y Car

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=152884
Old 08-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (92RED Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92RED Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not trying to be a dick but....dude you are crazy!!.....yeah for the street drums are fine but last time I checked people here like to modify their car and go faster and etc. etc. To make their cars more like sports like...get better performance...whatever.... So slowing down faster would be something that would make sense...even a little bit..

Next time you throw something out there like you just did remember that your stock air-box works just fine..your stock exhaust works just fine..your stock suspension works just fine......Yes it all works just fine for street cars that just go to the grocery store and to church every Sunday....I hope you haven't done any mods such as the basics because if you have you're bathing in your own hypocrisy my friend....If you do your car up to feel faster and act like a sports car..beefing up your brakes goes hand in hand.....hope you understand and take your own advice and do some research....</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, what racing do you do? If you searched around (maybe look on the AutoX Road Racing forum) you'd see that the braking difference is marginal at best. The drum setup weighs less too. The only real advantage is the ease of maintainance (easy to swap out pads), and looks. There are lots of people who actually race Hondas and keep the rear drums.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (nonsense)

if I remember correctly he had his ef on track a crap load of times and all he had was drum brakes on the rear.

there is not much difference in stopping power..yes the disks work better but it is not a necessary mod ESPECIALLY if you are going to never take the car on track. I have the front and rear brake conversion on my Del Sol (GSR brakes) and honestly the best brake modification you can possibly do is buy a nice set of brake pads (Carbotech ) and some Super Blue brake fluid. if you upgrade brake size worry about front brakes and upgrade the MC/BB

that is my honest opinion on this and I am sure that there are quite a few people that will back me up on this

Old 08-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WeakEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is a rear disk convertion on a ek to a gsr worth it? Seems like its hella work. And i heard it doesnt really improve braking that much, just for looks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe you mean rear DISC
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (dirtyd463)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dirtyd463 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you upgrade brake size worry about front brakes and upgrade the MC/BB</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree too much rear bias can kill your braking performance
Old 08-10-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Rear Disk Convertion (nonsense)

I am pretty sure that someone deleted a post about the spelling of DISC brakes. So just to clear it up here you go.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/glossary/d.htm

Quick Reply: Rear Disk Convertion