Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear Disc brake Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I suggest deleting your post and refraining from commenting on things you have no experience with Rear calipers are neither cheap nor fun to replace because somebody on the internet with a high post count told you how best to break them.

I don't tell people how to suck because I have no experience. Follow the example </TD></TR></TABLE>

Read on. I corrected the post With another post. But you're right.

Originally I'd assumed rear calipers worked like front calipers. Having had rear drums for the my entire driving career I didn't know any better.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (WhiteOnRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I still don't see why it's needed when the reservoir is never supposed to be topped off for that exact reason (air in the reservoir will compress).</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are right, it's never supposed to be topped off, but should be filled up to the fill line, no more than that. once the cap is on air is sealed out, there is no air in the resevoir at this point.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsleepercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the rears screw in, the fronts you can just compress, take the cap off the master cyclinder and this will make it a lot easier. if you open the bleeder valve you will have to bleed your brake system. also they sell the tool for the rears at harbor freight for like 5 bucks

gl </TD></TR></TABLE>

this guy knows exactly what i'm talking about!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej1 rep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just use a long flat head screwdriver and use it sideways to twist it back in. Kind of a bitch but it works and saves you 20 bucks</TD></TR></TABLE>

20 bucks can go a long way, especially if you plan on continuing to do brake jobs.
oh, and i wouldn't recommend a long screwdriver, wouldn't do anything really. if 20 bucks is hard to come by, a needle nose plier will do the job great!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

20 bucks can go a long way, especially if you plan on continuing to do brake jobs.
oh, and i wouldn't recommend a long screwdriver, wouldn't do anything really. if 20 bucks is hard to come by, a needle nose plier will do the job great!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its worth getting the tools. I tried on the Mustang to just screw in the piston, and it wouldn't go back in unless you push on it. Using the tool saved MASSIVE time! If you are planning on doing brake jobs for yourself more than once, buy it! Then rent the tools to your buddies! LOL
Old 12-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteOnRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Buy this (for next time at least):
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't buy this thing. Biggest waste of money I've ever spent. The thing is tiny, you have to keep it perfectly centered on the caliper, and with every turn it shifts out of the center. Most frustrating experience I had with the rear calipers was when I tried using this tool. Worse than turning it back with a screwdriver.

Easiest thing I've found is to use a reasonably large file, basically big enough to fit in the notch, and a pair of pliers or vice grip, to give you leverage to turn the file. Someone posted that tip in a thread a while back, he worked at a dealership, and oddly enough I was already doing it that way...

I'll have to look around for that kit. I think the problem with the square tool was that it only had two posts for the size that fit my caliper, and you need four posts to not avoid shifting out of center.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Don't buy this thing. Biggest waste of money I've ever spent. The thing is tiny, you have to keep it perfectly centered on the caliper, and with every turn it shifts out of the center. Most frustrating experience I had with the rear calipers was when I tried using this tool. Worse than turning it back with a screwdriver.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry to hear that. i guess there are a few methods to doing the job. i have found that tool to be very helpful, easier to use than a plier.