Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rattling noise when Vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling noise when Vtec?

Hey does anyone know if its normal to hear a rattling sound when deaccelerating from Vtec!? As in i go up to 6000rpm but dont shift and let go of accelerator,also sometimes does it when im accelerating up to 5000-6000 is this normal or what ! if not what is that noise! Thanx for any input im kinda new to honda's
Old 06-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rattling noise when Vtec? (mortificationrock)

i have experienced a rattling noise when hitting vtec and i found it to be a loose heat shield around the catalytic converter. try disconnecting your vtec and hitting the same rpm and see if it still rattles. check your heat shield and see if it is loose.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rattling noise when Vtec? (jonathan13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonathan13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have experienced a rattling noise when hitting vtec and i found it to be a loose heat shield around the catalytic converter. try disconnecting your vtec and hitting the same rpm and see if it still rattles. check your heat shield and see if it is loose.</TD></TR></TABLE> Thanx for your response Anyone else got any hints or tips?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably the heat shield, record it if you want a better answer.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rattling noise when Vtec? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably the heat shield, record it if you want a better answer.</TD></TR></TABLE>Well my q is i dont think its anything else like valves or pistons etc. internal **** thats damaged right!? since it only happens around Vtec? Im asking cuz im going to install a turbo next week but i never payed attention to that noise till now that i was driving with no music on! Thanx Everyone whos posting
Old 06-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its something internal i doubt it would sound like a rattle lol probably more like a tick or a knock. how many miles is on your motor?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i really dont know i just bought used from some import shop!! I think like 30,000-35,000!!! Motor looked really good from the head i mean nicest one ive seen!! But i mean what do you guys consider rattle and whats knock!!!?? Sorry dude if im confusing but im new to these hondas and just swapped my Vtec engine in and im trying to find out if it aint defective so they can replace it. Also how can u tell if Vtec is engaging or not! Engine specs JDM D15B THANX BRO
Old 06-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

creep up in your rpms slowly and watch for it to engage and listen very carefully. sometimes you cant hear it engage but you should be able to feel it if your creep it slowly into higher rpms. a knock would be noticeable if you were sitting still and revved the motor up. if it has only 30k-35k miles you should be good for turbo.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonathan13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">creep up in your rpms slowly and watch for it to engage and listen very carefully. sometimes you cant hear it engage but you should be able to feel it if your creep it slowly into higher rpms. a knock would be noticeable if you were sitting still and revved the motor up. if it has only 30k-35k miles you should be good for turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>Hey also why would my car waste a **** load of gas!? Sorry i know its of topic but seems you are very knowledgeable and might be able to help me with that Second Is it normal for a engine to make a little bit of noise when in idle i mean my saturn doesnt do it so im just wondering!!! My engine currently has I/H/E. Is that just the way hondas are? sorry for the noobness
Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i know some but im not great. i just try to help as much as i can. is your check engine light on? if not then i am not sure why it would waste a lot of gas. if it is on take it to autozone or any other parts store that will check the code for you and see what they say it is. its normal for it to have a little noise when idling but not too much. if your going to turbo you should prolly have your valves adjusted before hand and if your not going to upgrade any internal parts keep the boost at 6lbs or lower