Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rattle noise in lower drive belt cover side...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattle noise in lower drive belt cover side...

Ok, so I posted here a few months ago about a noise I started to hear from the timing cover area. I thought at first it was valve noise. Adjusted the valves, and the noise remains. I did start hearing the noise not too long after I had a mechanic replace the oil pump. No CELs, and the vehicle runs perfect besides this. I really was not too happy with the mechanic and would rather not take it back in, though I guess he may bitch if I tell him its been making noise for a while, and he'll want to know why I did not come back in... I just don't trust him.

Anyways, I have been doing some research and someone suggested that it could have something to do with the belt tensioner? About 6 months ago I had the belt, water pump, tensioner, seals, etc. all replaced by a mechanic I do trust. Did a great job, until the pump started leaking out the O-ring a couple of months later. I tried to have them fix the pump but they were backed up.

Anyways, could the rattle noise be from the belt tensioner? If so why, and how would you know?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rattle noise in lower drive belt cover side...

In addition to the questions above, should I see if my regular mechanic can fix this problem, or at least look at it, or would you feel comfortable (in my situation) going back to the second mechanic that you may not have been happy with? Don't really want to spend any more money, but then again I don't want my car F'd up! Don't really want to go back to the second mechanic - kind of like having your food sent back to the chef... we all know how that works out...
Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really shouldnt guess where the rattle is coming from... Take off your wheel and look around the timing area and try to pin point where it's coming from. And it's also not a good idea to let your water pump leak coolant all over your timing belt...
Old 04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hyperblu
You really shouldnt guess where the rattle is coming from... Take off your wheel and look around the timing area and try to pin point where it's coming from. And it's also not a good idea to let your water pump leak coolant all over your timing belt...

Well, I know its coming from the lower half of the timing cover. No leaks at all, all belts, pump, etc. are new OEM parts. Its very strange. It makes the sound on start up, but after running at full temp for a little while it completely goes away... I don't know, someone said piston slap or something like that on here. I need a front end alignment anyways, but will probably have my mechanic take a look at it.