Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Random throttle issues wtf? Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random throttle issues wtf? Help

Hello ht. well let me just get to the basics. Motor is a 96 d16y8 in a 92civic Si just recently swapped in about 800 miles ago. Car was running fine with a few slight slight idle issues that didnt really have much negative affect in the drive ability. Ok so here's the problem, about a week ago I was driving to work and at first everything was fine but then randomly at a green light my car started acting up. When I started to accelerate and started releasing clutch slowly the car started moving but let's just say at about 1500 rpm the car just bogs. It feels like if the fuel was cut off. I'm not saying its a fuel problem just saying how it felt. So I shifted to 2nd and tried to keep going only to end up with the same result around the same rpm the car just bogs down even if I have it full throttle. But after a few seconds of giving it gas it responds (late) and pulls normal. This only happens sometimes, other times the car feels and runs good. I have no check engines and yes the light works about 3 weeks ago I got a check engine for oxygen sensor but it went away by itself only came on twice and hasn't came back on since idk if that might have something to do with it. I have walbro 255 fuel pump semi new , semi new fuel filter just to take those out of the question.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Random throttle issues wtf? Help

Have you check the ignition timing?

Last ignition system tune up?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Timing is exactly how it came out of the del sol it originally came out of, has about 148k original miles on the motor. Just changed sparkplugs and wires when I swapped it in 800 miles ago. I was thinking tps since I've read that it can also cause high/low idle issues which I have, when its cold it idles at 1,800 rpm but when it warms up it idles normal between 500-700 rpm.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

What ECU and intake manifold?

And why do you have an aftermarket fuel pump?

How old are the cap and rotor? have you inspected them?

What was the O2 sensor code? If you unplug O2 sensor, does the engine run better?

And you can test the out TPS voltages to troubleshoot potential problems there.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ecu- first was a p06 non vtec which was changed when problem started to an obd1 LS ecu but made no difference

Original d16y8 manifold tapped in rear for IAT sensor and used an accord one which screws on since I'm going boost and I can't use the original eg IAT sensor, has no vacuum leaks.

I had recently gone d15b7 turbo so I needed the fuel upgrades but the motor overheated so i replaced it with the d16y8 just n/a not turbo yet.

Cap and rotor look pretty much normal just a little worn, I'm should be changing those soon.

It was code 1 I believe. I haven't tried unplugging the sensor yet, I'll check to see how it reacts.

Ok, just thru the probing process right, I'm gonna check that too

1 more thing I forgot to mention which now that I think of it is a pretty big deal. I have an external coil msd ignition setup. Cap looks good and wires are good as well but I've heard only negative things about Hondas and msd's, I might have to go back to stock.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just noticed when it acts up its always at exactly 2000 rpm in every gear that the throttle feels like it doesn't respond and just bogs.