Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Random Misfire Across All Cylinders. Truly Random or Cause For Concern?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Misfire Across All Cylinders. Truly Random or Cause For Concern?

Well, was going to work after Ohio just got hit by a snowstorm. So, it was pretty frigid. Turned the car on, with the A/C already on full blast from the last trip in my car, and it had a big studder and almost stalled out. It held together though and a CEL popped on. Took it to Advance before work and I was stunned as he read off "Random misfire cylinder 1, random misfire cylinder 2...". He cleared it and was fine since then, but should it be something that can later turn into a problem or was it truly just random?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Random Misfire Across All Cylinders. Truly Random or Cause For Concern?

It can be a burnt exhaust valve.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Random Misfire Across All Cylinders. Truly Random or Cause For Concern?

I don't like the sound of that... I forgot to mention as well, I have an EJ8 with a Mini - me'd Y7, compliments of the previous owner. I never trusted the engine, as I had to buy many sensors and work on it to get a CEL off when I bought it. First time I've ever seen that type of CEL on it though. For the past few months though, I've been getting a low threshold Cat CEL popping up randomly, think there's any connection?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie
For the past few months though, I've been getting a low threshold Cat CEL popping up randomly, think there's any connection?
This could be sign of misfiring and a damaged cat.

Maybe the coil or ICM is starting to go. Maybe start by removing the distributor cap and inspecting the internals. How do the spark plugs look?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This could be sign of misfiring and a damaged cat.

Maybe the coil or ICM is starting to go. Maybe start by removing the distributor cap and inspecting the internals. How do the spark plugs look?
Well, I was never worried about the cat because I don't have E - check, so I never bothered and would just clear it. I just got home when I posted though and have school till 5 tomorrow, but I'll check when I can. I replaced plugs, wires and cap about 4 - ish months ago BUT they were Bosch crap - ware. I was planning to replace it all with OEM Honda soon but the total price tag is $200 and I don't have that right now. I never changed the rotor though because the screw was seized. What should I be looking for when I check?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cat is killed by running rich, which generally results from misfiring. So while you don't have emission tests, it's wise to pay attention to the CEL.

Post pictures of the spark plugs, though you should just install basic NGKs as quickly as possibly. It also sounds like the rotor needs replacing.

Inside the distributor, look for anything abnormal - wear, corrosion, moisture, oil, dust - post pictures if necessary.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The cat is killed by running rich, which generally results from misfiring. So while you don't have emission tests, it's wise to pay attention to the CEL.

Post pictures of the spark plugs, though you should just install basic NGKs as quickly as possibly. It also sounds like the rotor needs replacing.

Inside the distributor, look for anything abnormal - wear, corrosion, moisture, oil, dust - post pictures if necessary.
Will do. Whenever I turn my car on though, it always gives me a few pops, then it kind of levels out and I don't see or hear anything of it again until my car on sometimes. Was I hearing misfires?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was I hearing misfires?
Most likely.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Most likely.
That makes me sad. The engine always felt sluggish at times. Honestly, I thought a Metro could go faster than me. I plan on overhauling the engine this summer, after my loan is done, but obviously, that was a good time away. I'll take pictures though. Worried about what I might see. I haven't opened my hood in a while, since it's difficult to close.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So, I have a few things to report, been a little busy.

Put my OEM kit in, all my plugs looked pretty good to be honest. Still a small pop when it's warming up however.

Downshifted to pass a car today and got a code. Autozone dude read off Auxilary Emissions Control and Manufacturer Control, both laying under code P1456. He had no clue what it meant and the douche even forgot to clear it for me. My Cat is bad, I'm thinking it's just trying to tell me it again.

I think I need to replace my valve cover gasket. There are fresh oil stains down my block to my tranny and in that section of my cover, there is that squeeze - gasket poorly shoved into the gasket's crevases. Great.

I know my car needs a front alignment and new rear struts but it's walking worse than when Pujols is going to hit free agency. Is it all atributed to the alignment or do I have torn rear bushings? It's too cold to get on the ground and honestly, I'm afraid to look under my car to see the potential carnage.

Oh, and my battery is bad, so only really cold days, it's hit or miss if it'll start and my gauge and radio bottom out sometimes.

ISB is still grinding like a *****.

Oh and 94EG8 IS A MOD?! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

Fricken' love my Honda right now.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you try a compression test? If not you should really look into doing on asap. from my prior issuse with random misfire codes. i found out that you should always try the cheapest soulution first before spending any money reaplacing any unnecessary parts that didnt need replaced to begin with with.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I think I need to replace my valve cover gasket. There are fresh oil stains down my block to my tranny and in that section of my cover, there is that squeeze - gasket poorly shoved into the gasket's crevases. Great.

I know my car needs a front alignment and new rear struts but it's walking worse than when Pujols is going to hit free agency. Is it all atributed to the alignment or do I have torn rear bushings? It's too cold to get on the ground and honestly, I'm afraid to look under my car to see the potential carnage.

Oh, and my battery is bad, so only really cold days, it's hit or miss if it'll start and my gauge and radio bottom out sometimes.

ISB is still grinding like a *****.

Fricken' love my Honda right now.
Haha, isn't it fun? Btw, if you need bushings and alignment, get the bushings first. Blown ISB bearings tend to go for a long time btw. Not that i'd want to put it off any longer than I had to, but they aren't as scary to me as they should be.

Oh and 94EG8 IS A MOD?! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.
I am.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Haha, isn't it fun? Btw, if you need bushings and alignment, get the bushings first. Blown ISB bearings tend to go for a long time btw. Not that i'd want to put it off any longer than I had to, but they aren't as scary to me as they should be.
Been bad since I bought it last April. I hear it getting worse as I keep driving it though. Feelsbadman.jpg. Everything is starting to go bad all at once though and it freaking blows. Front bumper is completely destroyed, suspension is taking a dump. Paint is going to crap, alignment is ruining my tires, rear brakes need replaced and the adjusters need reset (almost no brakes unless I pump, automatic my ***). And on top of all this, after a good ol' OEM tune, she still pops and it's leaking oil. And now a code and I have no clue what it is. Could you tell me what the dumbass autozone guy couldn't?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reset the ECU to see whether the code returns. Is the gas cap missing? Is its seal bad?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Um, my gas cap better not be missing. And I would assume it was fine...

Ah, I thought this pertained to my exhaust emissions. This pertains to fuel emissions...
Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Um, my gas cap better not be missing. And I would assume it was fine...

Ah, I thought this pertained to my exhaust emissions. This pertains to fuel emissions...
EVAP system

Clear the code.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Oh yeah. Full on lost my gas cap and it didn't even know about until today. Drove to AZ and grabbed one for $8. I then proceeded to pop the clutch in my parking spot. Today didn't start out too well considering I couldn't get gas after I got the cap, haha. Sucks being poor and going to school.