Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside

Alright HT guys. I just looked at my radiator to figure out why it was over heating still. Well finally I took it to AutoZone and let some guy look at it. He said that my fan might not be working (thought the same thing also) and then he said I should make sure the censor for the fan is connected right and ish like that. Do you guys know what the problem could be? Other then the radiator. Because I seriously think it could possibly be the fan not working. Doesnt even make a hint of coming on. Oh yeah b4 you say Search. I already did and know one had the problem like mine. But if you could lend me your help, that would be great. Thanks Alot.

-alex-
Old 04-12-2003, 07:46 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (Simple 4dR)

i am also interested in this...my fan just stopped working out of nowhere....i think it might be the connection but is it possible it could be something else
Old 04-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (CiRcUiTsi)

Could be the relay. Check to see if the fan is getting power. I have wired mine up to the ignition power on previous cars.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (CiRcUiTsi)

Seriously I think it might be the censor or something. But a friend of my mom, called one of his friends thats good with cars. So if he tells me something. I'll post it on here.

What do you mean by ignition power?
Old 04-12-2003, 07:56 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (Simple 4dR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Simple 4dR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seriously I think it might be the censor or something. But a friend of my mom, called one of his friends thats good with cars. So if he tells me something. I'll post it on here.</TD></TR></TABLE> dang crazy...let me call one of my friends who knows this dude who posts on here....if he knows the answer he will post in here
Old 04-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignition power = power that exist when the ignition is in the "on" position. IE: Radio

Its ghetto, but it works as a quick fix if you need it.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fan temp switch, like 30 bux from honda, mine was gone when i bought my car and it would overheat when it wasnt moving, but first unplug the fan and hook it up directly to the battery, to see if the fan spins with power, then go from there.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (civicgsr19)

i had a simmular problem... my fan just stoped working one day and it turns out that the fan is wired off the same wireing as the marker lights ( i was messing with the wireing when i was installing my headlights with a day time running light) and ways i didn't ground it well i enough and the fan wasn't turning on, just a sugestion but check out all your wireing
Old 04-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (civicgsr19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicgsr19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fan temp switch, like 30 bux from honda, mine was gone when i bought my car and it would overheat when it wasnt moving, but first unplug the fan and hook it up directly to the battery, to see if the fan spins with power, then go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To The Top!

My Eg / GSR keeps over heating and I notcied the fan is NOT coming on. The stock motor had problems over heating as well, so I am going to test the fan by hooking it staright to the battery. I have a new radiator in. First day driving the Hybrid

Someone was also saying the thermostats will stick sometimes when the motor has sat for a while. But, I'll check this fan out and see if that is one or THE problem
Old 04-17-2003, 01:19 PM
New User

Well mine quit and i changed every censor and still the same thing,well the only thing i can figure out is that the computer is messed up,it kept on burning up relays,one way to check to see if the relay is working and the fan is working is unplug the censor wire from the thermostat house and get a paper clip and jumper it,and turn the key on,do not start the motor,see if it turns on,if it doesnt,then it is the relay,but if it does then it is that censor,or like mine,the computer.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Re: (Civic4doors)

even if it is the fan that wouldnt explain your overheating... do you overheat when ur driving? or just when you idle for a while?

if it simply doesnt come on when you idle and your about to overheat check the relay and your grounds...
Old 04-17-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (shorty)

When I used a P72 ecu on my d16z6 I noticed the fan never came on. But when I switched back to my P28 it came on. So check your ecu. Check the relay, fuse and test the fan to see if it's still working by tapping the wire to the battery. If it comes on then you could use a switch to turn it on.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cyvic)

I tested the fan and it works (wired to the battery)
Took the relay out of my 98 Civic and plugged it into the Cx in the fuse box and drove the car. Needle NEVER even got close to the center on the temp. gauge. Fan did NOT come on throughout the 6-8 minutes of driving.

I got home turned the car off, tried to start it and sounds like the battery is dead. Could I possibly have the starter power wire as a ground and it's not recharging the battery???
Old 04-17-2003, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (Steve Berman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Steve Berman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ignition power = power that exist when the ignition is in the "on" position. IE: Radio

Its ghetto, but it works as a quick fix if you need it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah this worked for me! sucked hard when I'd be in a fast food drive thru and see that temp gauge rising up! Ghetto or not, works for me!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (Nitro555r)

Check the ground on the thermostat housing, and check the fuse of course.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:13 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (Nitro555r)

ok guys. Please tell me you all understand how wiring works right??

ok if so then do this...

go to the parts counter at the dealer and ask to look at the electrical shematics for your car and get the ENTIRE layout of the wiring for the fan (from source at battery, through the entire circuit, to ground). and then systematically just check and replace along the line. There should only be a relay, the temperature sensor in the block, and the fan itself (maybe a blown fusable link somewhere) but the schematic will show where it is...

anyway, yeah the easiest way to see if it's the fan itself is to hotwire it to the battery. The switched fan method is gay, especially if you forget one day and leave it on when you go in the mall and it runs the battery down haha...
Old 04-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok guys. Please tell me you all understand how wiring works right??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok if so then do this...

go to the parts counter at the dealer and ask to look at the electrical shematics for your car and get the ENTIRE layout of the wiring for the fan (from source at battery, through the entire circuit, to ground). and then systematically just check and replace along the line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll check the helms manual

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There should only be a relay,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Replaced that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the temperature sensor in the block,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haven't checked that yet. Any idea where it's located on a 98 GSR / 93 Civic Cx shell?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the fan itself</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wired it directly to the battery and it's good

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(maybe a blown fusable link somewhere) but the schematic will show where it is...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll have to check that out as well.

anyway, yeah the easiest way to see if it's the fan itself is to hotwire it to the battery. The switched fan method is gay, especially if you forget one day and leave it on when you go in the mall and it runs the battery down haha...[/QUOTE]

All you have to do is wire it to an accessory such as the radio that only powers up when the ignition is ON That way when you turn the car off the fan will turn off Anyone want to explain how I can do this (where to tap in, etc...). I think the overheating problem is due to the fan not coming on
Old 04-18-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (Hybrid93Hatch)

So the fan is good, check the ECT Engine Coolant Temp) Sensor. I had that take a crap on me and caused my car to overheat, wasn't telling the thermostat to open when the temp got too high. Not sure what the testing procedure is, maybe you can go down to a Honda dealership and see if you can get one of the service techs to see if they can issolate the problem. Explain the problem and tell them what you have done and that it has not solved the problem. it worked for me.

And while you are at it, if you haven't already checked, check the thermostat.

Another thing you might want to check is the relay to the fan. The A/C fan uses the same relay as the radiator fan, swap the connections to make sure the relay is not bad, turn on A/C and see if the fan worksm if it does the relay is good.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (hondasleeper)

just wire the fan to the ignition or make your own wiring with a switch. That way you can turn it on whenever you need to.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (hondasleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondasleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the fan is good, check the ECT Engine Coolant Temp) Sensor. I had that take a crap on me and caused my car to overheat, wasn't telling the thermostat to open when the temp got too high.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly doubt that is the problem. That would mean my Cx motor and the 98 GSR have the same problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure what the testing procedure is, maybe you can go down to a Honda dealership and see if you can get one of the service techs to see if they can issolate the problem. Explain the problem and tell them what you have done and that it has not solved the problem. it worked for me.

And while you are at it, if you haven't already checked, check the thermostat.

Another thing you might want to check is the relay to the fan. The A/C fan uses the same relay as the radiator fan, swap the connections to make sure the relay is not bad, turn on A/C and see if the fan worksm if it does the relay is good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is NO power going to the harness that plugs into the fan from the battery. I changed the relay and still nothing. Actually, put the Cx relay in the 98 LX and drove it to work and it's fine.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Radiator fan possibly not working... More information inside (Hybrid93Hatch)

Somehow, I still suspect they ECT, but then again I could be wrong. Try this out and see if it works, disconnect the ECT plug, get apapt clip and jump the the 2 pins inside the plug and see if the fan comes on if it does then the ECT sensor is bad. That's what the Honda tech did with mind. Before you decide that the computer is bad I would go through the process of elimination and narrow down the problem. I think it would be less expensive than getting a new computer to find out that it wasn't the computer.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I tested the fan and it works (wired to the battery)
Took the relay out of my 98 Civic and plugged it into the Cx in the fuse box and drove the car. Needle NEVER even got close to the center on the temp. gauge. Fan did NOT come on throughout the 6-8 minutes of driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>
your car shouldnt be overheating when your driving it anyway.. that would have nothing to do with the fan... if you did overheat while driving that would be low coolent or thermostat problem...
Old 04-19-2003, 10:22 AM

Default Re: (shorty)

We just delt with this problem a few weeks ago on my brothers car.

First jumper the fan directly to the battery just to make sure that the fan motor does work, a 2ft piece of wire is all you need for that. If your fan is working but you don't know if it is coming on while you are driving then you can just start your car in the garage (or wherever you work on it) and let it idle or rev it for 10-15 mins you fan should come at least once during that time.

If that isn't working then you might need a new fan switch, its like $30 at most Honda dealer ($60 at the one here in Reno cause they are ********), that should then fix your problem.

The other big problem that you could have that we encountered is that my brothers car the fan was coming on and thermostat was good but he had blown the head gasket and the cooling system wouldn't pressurize so it just kept overheating cause there was no fluid flow.