Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rack and pinion noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rack and pinion noise

I hear a thunking noise coming from the driver's side of the car. It only happens on uneven roads, whether or not I turn the steering wheel. The suspension shop said it was the rack and pinion. They said that I needed to replace the whole thing or have it fixed in a machine shop. Could it just be the rack and pinion bushings? They are charging me a very high price for a new rack and pinion set, but I don't know if the whole thing is damaged or is it only the bushings. If the "teeth" are already worn out, it is advisable to have them machined?
Old 07-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rack and pinion noise (Benj)

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

you can get a used one for under a 100 shipped. swapping it shouldnt take more than a couple hours (maybe a few hours if you dont know how to turn a wrench)
Old 07-21-2003, 08:03 AM

Default Re: rack and pinion noise (Zer0DazE)

Problem is I live in the Phils. I found a surplus unit being sold for around $350, but that's a surplus unit, unsure of the quality.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:06 AM

a shop will always want you to replace everything, they want your money.

im not sure if something is really wrong with your steering or not, but heres an option that is easy, cheap, and just might solve your problem.

you can actually adjust the steering rack. i have a 93 Si and i notice that in parking lots at slow speeds i can hear thumping that sounds very similiar to what you describe. i used to work at a Honda dealer and am still good friends with some of the techs and one mentioned that i just might need to "adjust the play out."

if you look at the pic below part 5 and 10 are the ones that can supposedly do that. part 5 is called the "rack guide screw" and part 10 is what locks that guide down. so simply loostening the lock, tightening the guide some, and then tightening the lock back down on the guide might help rid of some thumping. if you try this, id tighten the guide just a little bit at a time so you only tighten it enough to take the noise out without over tightening the rack.

this pic is from Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com)

this pic is for my 93 Si... yours may be slightly different, but you can look it up at http://www.hondaautomotivepart...y.jsp

Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 PM

Default Re: (KillerWabbit)

I tried that already....the eliminated some (but not all) of the thumping noise, but the steering became extremely heavy. So I had it adjusted back to the original position. According to the shop, you can't just simply adjust the screw at the bottom of the car, there is another "top" screw that you also need to adjust, don't know if this is true or not.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:38 PM

im not sure about that other screw either. good luck though.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KillerWabbit)

Wow...I have this same problem along with a wheel bearing that screams for attention and brakes that whine when I drive. Lets see...warped brakes, wheel bearing, rack and pinion....time to redo the suspension with new bushings and brakes and.....and...and....damn
Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GTlvr82)

I have a similar problem in my car, my rack and pinion has about 190K (no power steering) on it and after this weekend something fell off, now when i accelerate my whole steering wheel shakes and the whole car is wobbling from left to right i have no idea if this is the rack and pinion or something else, has anyone had this kind of problem plus the steering has a really loud creaking noise when i turn only when the car is standing, if anyone has had anything like this please lend me a suggestion on what to do Thanks (
Old 08-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GTlvr82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GTlvr82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow...I have this same problem along with a wheel bearing that screams for attention and brakes that whine when I drive. Lets see...warped brakes, wheel bearing, rack and pinion....time to redo the suspension with new bushings and brakes and.....and...and....damn </TD></TR></TABLE>

my integra is giving the same problem(95 four door integra). when i'm driving, it makes a wop wop wop type noise(hehe, only way i can describe it). on the freeway, the noise gets loud then quiet, loud and then quiet...its weird...most people in the integra forum say its the wheel bearings.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:05 AM

Default Re: (ghettols)

wheel bearings are supposed to give out a slightly humming sound if i'm not mistaken. anyway, i consulted another mechanic and he says he's 90% sure that it's not the rack and pinion that's damaged in my car but the steering cross joint, whatever that is. Gonna have it replaced as soon as i find the part.