Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rack & pinion help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack & pinion help

whats good yo... well i need help whit my rack n pinion for my CX eg hatch ... i just wanna make sure if i use a rack from a EG whit PS its gonna work on my hatch cuz the 1 that came out of my hatch is manual
Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rack & pinion help

People go from power to manual all the time, so going manual to power should also fit. Your probably going to have to play with the passenger side brackett a little though since you have a manual sub-frame.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you're going the wrong way. I love my manual rack. It feels so much better. I'd keep it.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Screech`:)
you're going the wrong way. I love my manual rack. It feels so much better. I'd keep it.
Is that my rack busted so my boy have 1 but its PS so thats y im asking if it will work
Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will fit. You'll either have to get the power steering stuff or loop the lines. If you're going to switch to power steering, I have the pump bracket for sale (follow f/s thread link in my sig)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

manual rack feels awesome so when u get a chance go back to it power steering no good useless in my opinion but yes it would fit to answer ur ?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by _eg6_
manual rack feels awesome so when u get a chance go back to it power steering no good useless in my opinion but yes it would fit to answer ur ?
yeah im gonna do that but i just need my hatch runnin lol
Old 02-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can do this with the power steering rack (get the parts he lists from summitracing.com instead though, they are cheaper and you can just get the summit racing brand)

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-power-steering-loop-92-95-civics-all-eg-dc-ps-racks-2542314/

Here is a parts list based on buying from summitracing instead:
1 -6 AN to 14mm x 1.5 Fitting
1 -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Fitting
2 -6 AN Hose barb ends
For hose you can do braided stainless steel or just rubber hose from your local store.

I would do a breather like he mentions, it might help with how hard it is to turn while barely moving. In that case you would need to tee the loop and run it to a reservoir. You can use an old clutch reservoir or something similar from a junked car.

If you want to do the breather, if you want it real professional looking and easiest to assemble you can use this for a tee (attached right on the rack, use the middle port to run to the breather), get one more hose barb end in the list above, and longer hose
Old 02-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, definitely loop the lines. Don't install a pump. And don't do a breather, just loop the lines.

The breather does nothing to make it easier to turn. The valve/PS fluid has negligible damping effect. Why would you be able to turn it fine at speed but not while stopped if the breather had anything to do with it?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vanilla_rice
Why would you be able to turn it fine at speed but not while stopped if the breather had anything to do with it?
Because the rotation of the wheels assists you in turning the steering wheel and overcoming the effects of not having a breather (if there are any).

I'm not saying i'm 100% sure the breather will help though. I am still researching this myself.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The rolling wheels makes it easier to turn the steering wheel but it has nothing to do with the breather. It has to do with the fact that you're not sliding rubber across asphalt as you turn the steering wheel.

Just jack the front wheels up and turn the wheel, you'll see it turns free. No damping in the cylinder/valve.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I have done that before. I have always been on the fence about this whole breather thing though... i've doubted it was needed but was not 100% sure. I agree, based on everything it seems that needing the breather is just a myth.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As I understood it though the guys that put breathers in also drained the racks of most of the fluid. They put breather filters on either end of the input ports to the cylinder so that as the cylinder moves back and forth all that moved in and out of the cylinder was air. Not sure about that approach not just because it's not necessary but because I think you might as well keep the fluid to prevent corrosion and what not.

The reservoir thing is something a little different in that it keeps the cyliner full of fluid which in my opinion is the way to go. But you don't need any new reservoir. Just keep the existing PS reservoir, remove the pump and high pressure line, and connect the reservoir to the port that the high pressure line used to go into the valve.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vanilla_rice
As I understood it though the guys that put breathers in also drained the racks of most of the fluid. They put breather filters on either end of the input ports to the cylinder so that as the cylinder moves back and forth all that moved in and out of the cylinder was air. Not sure about that approach not just because it's not necessary but because I think you might as well keep the fluid to prevent corrosion and what not.

The reservoir thing is something a little different in that it keeps the cyliner full of fluid which in my opinion is the way to go. But you don't need any new reservoir. Just keep the existing PS reservoir, remove the pump and high pressure line, and connect the reservoir to the port that the high pressure line used to go into the valve.
Well I don't want to leave the power steering reservoir and everything there... that's how I already have it. I want to follow the DIY in the link I posted, with the line looped. I am just wondering if that will work without the breather just like that guy did.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Word, I was just interested in getting the pump out of there and having a flex hose from the res rather than the solid high pressure line. I was tired of working around the pump/high pressure line to get to other stuff.

Have you driven a while without the belt to make sure you like it?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bypassed the pump by using a hose to connect the high pressure hose to the reservoir and removed the pump. I've been driving it like this for a while and I like it. I do want to clean up the engine bay a little bit more though and since I don't need all this stuff in there I want to do the loop. The only thing I don't like is how hard it is to turn while not moving, but it's not that big of a deal... but if putting a breather in was going to help then I was certainly going to do it.

Most people I have seen who do a breather drain most of the fluid out and use an old clutch fluid reservoir as the breather... the reason for the reservoir instead of just a valve cover breather is incase fluid somehow makes its way up to the breather... with a reservoir it won't spill out. But if using a breather isn't going to change anything then i'm just going to loop it and with no breather. You only need to leave a little bit of fluid in the rack just to lubricate the components.