Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quiet vtec

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quiet vtec

last time no one was really able to help me out on nwsr so i wanna see if anyone can help me here. the problem is that vtec in my b18c1 got way quieter after i swapped the motor from one car(2000 civic ex) to my current car(98 civic ex). these are the differences in the motor after/while swapping it,

got rid of the cat, now i have straightpipe

put on fidanza 7.5lbs flywheel

got rid of a lot of unessecary ground wires

new valve caver gasket

new vtec gasket

replaced some parts in dizzy with either ls or some other honda/acura dizzy

using a stock gsr ecu(99 si ecu before)

hooked up IAB solenoid

used my 98 civic ex wire harness

IAT sensor is temporarily unconnected right now(untill i find the right connector plug for it)

02 sensors throwing code cuz of straightpipe(i dont think it has anything to do with the 02 sensors cuz i plugged in a chipped p28 with conversion harness running a itr base map and still same results)

using fully synthetic oil(unsure what oil was used before cuz i bought the car and swapped the motor right away)

changed vtec pressure switch with some civic one(looked up the part numbers and they were the same so i think this wont make a difference either)

thats all i can remeber right now, ill update if i remember anything else
Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quiet vtec

im guessing it could be your ground. with out ground you have no power. i know this is different but almost the same thing happened to my single cam. took some ground off and reponse was slower and vtec didnt crack as hard. put it back on and more, got a tab bit better. try it out.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ej1mitts
im guessing it could be your ground. with out ground you have no power. i know this is different but almost the same thing happened to my single cam. took some ground off and reponse was slower and vtec didnt crack as hard. put it back on and more, got a tab bit better. try it out.
This has nothing to do with anything.

As for the OPs question, did you change your intake at all? I'm sure a lot of the sound you hear when vtec engages is due to your intake setup.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a loud vtec engagement indicates a worn motor. you want a smooth crossover. idk why people are always bragging about how loud their vtec "cracks" lol
Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by o0o_tylor_o0o
a loud vtec engagement indicates a worn motor. you want a smooth crossover. idk why people are always bragging about how loud their vtec "cracks" lol
I agree supposed to be a smooth transition not supposed to feel like u hit a 400 shot of nos

nor is it supposed sound like vroooooooooBANGVTEC chirp vrooooooooooommmm
Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There really aren't any "unnecessary" grounds on the car. I would hook them all back up again, even if you relocate them. Maybe a bad engine ground is causing your VTEC solenoid to act up. Also, I would pull the code on that CEL just in case and get your IAT sensor plugged back in. Eliminate the things that you know are problems already before you start searching for new ones.

If you wanted to check the ground to your VTEC solenoid, unplug it and use a wire to give it power from the battery +. If it clicks normally, then you're probably ok on the ground. If it's slow to engage, or seems to struggle, then you have your answer! It gets it's ground through the engine ground, so that needs to be good.

For the guys saying that a loud VTEC is not the best...I 100% agree, however because there was a change from one car to the other, it seems to indicate that there may be something wrong. I'm guessing that it's a ground issue...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kp
This has nothing to do with anything.

As for the OPs question, did you change your intake at all? I'm sure a lot of the sound you hear when vtec engages is due to your intake setup.
nope same exact intake
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bakertime
There really aren't any "unnecessary" grounds on the car. I would hook them all back up again, even if you relocate them. Maybe a bad engine ground is causing your VTEC solenoid to act up. Also, I would pull the code on that CEL just in case and get your IAT sensor plugged back in. Eliminate the things that you know are problems already before you start searching for new ones.

If you wanted to check the ground to your VTEC solenoid, unplug it and use a wire to give it power from the battery +. If it clicks normally, then you're probably ok on the ground. If it's slow to engage, or seems to struggle, then you have your answer! It gets it's ground through the engine ground, so that needs to be good.

For the guys saying that a loud VTEC is not the best...I 100% agree, however because there was a change from one car to the other, it seems to indicate that there may be something wrong. I'm guessing that it's a ground issue...
there were a lot of "unnecessary" grounds cuz they were all aftermarket when i bought the car, it was a round copper thing that had a lot of holes in it and it was connected the the negative battery and a whole buch of wire are connected to it and ran to a million different places on the motor, the only one im gonna put back on is the valve cover to core support ground lol i dont know why i took it off

ill try it out, ill bust out the power probe and see how it clicks