Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question with my vtec head

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question with my vtec head

93 Honda Civic si ( b16a head, b18a bottom) 5 speed standard

I jus got this im a little new to Vtecs And I've notied some have really small air filters attached to it or they have a hose leading to somewhere else I have no clue and mine has neither.

Last edited by Jjeessee; 04-24-2015 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Thread lock
Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question with my vtec head

I've circled what I need to know!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:54 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

PCV. See the black cover on your intake pipe? There usually would be a hose that runs from your valve cover to that black cover to release pressure from the crankcase. It's fine the way it is, most people when installing an aftermarket intake run into the problem of it not having the outlet for the PCV hose to connect to and just put a small filter on the outlet on the valve cover.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the picture above there would normally be a hose connecting the valve cover to the ARC intake at the black circle or hole at the 1 O'clock position from the point you circled.

The purpose of the crank case breather is to release gas that leaks past the piston rings... it happens in all engines even the healthiest. Pressure can build up in the crank case which needs to be ventilated and this is how it does that... along with the PCV. Here is a quote I found on team-integra.com from surferX

"The honda crankcase breather is a POSITIVE pressure ventilation system.The air from the intake blows into the valve cover. It is NOT a negative pressure ventilation system...it does NOT suck air from the valvecover to the intake.

Breathers remove the source of positive ventilation that repressurizes the POSTIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATIoN (PCV) valve.

There is less pressure in the crank when you add a breather at the valve cover. The consequence of this is you get more positive blow-by from the combustion chamber past the piston rings and into the crankcase. More blow-by means less cylinder pressure...less cylinder pressure means the burn is slower and less complete...the result is more emissions and less power.

If you want to do this right and remove oil vapor from the circulating crankcase before it goes into the intake valve then, get an oilcatch can and put a breather on the catch can. Then place the catch can in between the valve cover breather and the PCV valve.

Disconnecting the breather tube, which blows fresh intake air into the valve cover, and placing a breather on the valve cover just creates more blow-by and emissions. Eventually you have so much blow-by, you lose power."

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 09chaplak
PCV. See the black cover on your intake pipe? There usually would be a hose that runs from your valve cover to that black cover to release pressure from the crankcase. It's fine the way it is, most people when installing an aftermarket intake run into the problem of it not having the outlet for the PCV hose to connect to and just put a small filter on the outlet on the valve cover.
Maybe the hose fell loose? Haven't checked yet but I will thanks! And where would I purchase the small air filters and is it mandatory to have the little filter
Old 03-25-2015, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmo19d
In the picture above there would normally be a hose connecting the valve cover to the ARC intake at the black circle or hole at the 1 O'clock position from the point you circled.

The purpose of the crank case breather is to release gas that leaks past the piston rings... it happens in all engines even the healthiest. Pressure can build up in the crank case which needs to be ventilated and this is how it does that... along with the PCV. Here is a quote I found on team-integra.com from surferX

"The honda crankcase breather is a POSITIVE pressure ventilation system.The air from the intake blows into the valve cover. It is NOT a negative pressure ventilation system...it does NOT suck air from the valvecover to the intake.

Breathers remove the source of positive ventilation that repressurizes the POSTIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATIoN (PCV) valve.

There is less pressure in the crank when you add a breather at the valve cover. The consequence of this is you get more positive blow-by from the combustion chamber past the piston rings and into the crankcase. More blow-by means less cylinder pressure...less cylinder pressure means the burn is slower and less complete...the result is more emissions and less power.

If you want to do this right and remove oil vapor from the circulating crankcase before it goes into the intake valve then, get an oilcatch can and put a breather on the catch can. Then place the catch can in between the valve cover breather and the PCV valve.

Disconnecting the breather tube, which blows fresh intake air into the valve cover, and placing a breather on the valve cover just creates more blow-by and emissions. Eventually you have so much blow-by, you lose power."

Hope this helps.

In this picture the filter isint just right connect to valve cover an I notice two hoses going to the filter and one coming from the valve head only?<br/>How can I add it to my car and where would I buy them?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He is using a catch can. They collect any oil that blows by preventing it from going back into the system. Not really sure if you need them as much on lightly modified N/A cars but on a turbo car they are a must. If you absolutely have to have one they aren't difficult to come by just depends on what you want to spend.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anywhere from 100-200$
Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

OP - Add car and engine information to the first post to avoid thread lock. See forum Rules.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

also avoid buying thread lock to avoid thread lock.

http://www.bitcore.org/stuff/bmw-forums/thread-lock.jpg
Old 03-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's fine the way it is,
No, its not. Honda put that pvc there for a reason.

Quoted from : https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...cover-1469739/

Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
You should read up on how the PCV system actually works.

Your ideas don't make much sense. The breather tube allows air INTO the valve cover, not the other way. It is called a POSITIVE crankcase ventilation. Air is pulled into the valve cover (and heated by the coolant pipe it is attached to to prevent condensation in the valve cover) the air travels though the valve cover and though the bottom end and pulls the oil/exhaust vapours out of the block and through the PCV valve and gets burned. By blocking the valve cover breather line, you are preventing the PCV from venting those vapours inside the motor and this will cause your oil to get contaminated much quicker and you will see increased engine wear. By putting a filter on the valve cover, you are allowing ambient temperature air into the valve cover (because you are bypassing the coolant pre-heater) which will cause conensation in the valve cover and sludge buildup. This will shorten the life of your motor.

In other words, if you don't understand how it works, leave it alone.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Originally Posted by White_EG1
No, its not. Honda put that pvc there for a reason.

Quoted from : https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...cover-1469739/
Why don't you hop off my dick dude. Guy says there's SMALL AIR FILTERS and hoses. Clearly its not a hose so it's a small air filter. Based on the OP's description, it is not being blocked. And it's a PCV hose. Idk what this PVC you're referring to is.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you hop off my dick dude. Guy says there's SMALL AIR FILTERS and hoses. Clearly its not a hose so it's a small air filter. Based on the OP's description, it is not being blocked. And it's a PCV hose. Idk what this PVC you're referring to is.

From what i see in OP's pic, the hose isn't connected to anything. Which its supposed be, without that on its constantly blowing vacuum fumes in the engine bay from combustion.

Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
By putting a FILTER on the valve cover, you are allowing ambient temperature air into the valve cover (because you are bypassing the coolant pre-heater) which will cause condensation in the valve cover and sludge buildup. This will shorten the life of your motor.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

From what i see in OP's pic, the hose isn't connected to anything. Which its supposed be,
Not sure what hose in the pic you're talking about. Or did you mean the circled valve cover nozzle/nipple that should attach to the missing breather hose? I also can't tell whether or not the nozzle/nipple is capped.

without that on its constantly blowing vacuum fumes in the engine bay from combustion.
The PCV system first draws filtered air from the breather hose into the crankcase. Next, vacuum from intake manifold (IM) sucks out the crankcase blow-by gases. I can't tell from the picture, but if the PCV hose is attached to the IM, then blow-by gas would be sucked into the IM rather than blown into the engine bay.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Not sure what hose in the pic you're talking about. Or did you mean the circled valve cover nozzle/nipple that should attach to the missing breather hose? I also can't tell whether or not the nozzle/nipple is capped.
Yes thought that was possibly a cut aftermarket hose, but I see OP or whoever just failed to properly mask the valve cover.

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The PCV system first draws filtered air from the breather hose into the crankcase. Next, vacuum from intake manifold (IM) sucks out the crankcase blow-by gases. I can't tell from the picture, but if the PCV hose is attached to the IM, then blow-by gas would be sucked into the IM rather than blown into the engine bay.
Thanks for clearing this up.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

From what i see in OP's pic, the hose isn't connected to anything. Which its supposed be, without that on its constantly blowing vacuum fumes in the engine bay from combustion.

You literally just contradicted yourself in your own single post. Imma let you figure that one out but I have to say RonJ gave the best answer of all time.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the hose isn't connected to what it's supposed to be namsayn

Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

OP is missing the hose and the nipple that is suppose to be on the aftermarket intake isn't there. That small black round rubber grommet you see is suppose to be for the iat, maybe this intake was specifically to obd2 motors (well on the d16y8 thats where the iat would be) because that is where the iat would be and not on the intake manifold. Also to correct this all OP needs is to remove that rubber grommet, jb weld a nipple on there and attach a rubber hose to both nipples and be done.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I just nee to throw a filter on it no need for catch can?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put a small filter on it and call it good
Old 04-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Fish Twig

Those filters won't do **** for your car, your welcome to do it if you like.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I put a filter on it... Idont get it some of you are saying it does something some of you say it does nothing, I need a proper answer, should I leave the air filter on or do the catch can idea ?
Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should it be connected from head to intake? Cause there is a rubber there blocking it off, find me a picture showin me what it should be like
Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Fish Twig

You really want to know then its best you find the helms manual, it shows a diagram of airflow.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
OP is missing the hose and the nipple that is suppose to be on the aftermarket intake isn't there. That small black round rubber grommet you see is suppose to be for the iat, maybe this intake was specifically to obd2 motors (well on the d16y8 thats where the iat would be) because that is where the iat would be and not on the intake manifold. Also to correct this all OP needs is to remove that rubber grommet, jb weld a nipple on there and attach a rubber hose to both nipples and be done.
I have one into my manifold and with the rubber grommet in the air intake where am I to connect a hose to?