Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

question about TRASMISSION problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about TRASMISSION problem

Afriend of mine has a'99 Civic EX and is having trouble with his auto trans. His car has about 115000 miles on it and he just recently changed the tranny fluid for the first time. Reason he changed it is because his engine was reving between shifts. When starting from a stop, the car would accelerate in 1st till about 3000 rpm and then it would feel like it was starting to shiftbut then rev to about 3500 rpm before it would finally shift (kind of quick and a touch hard). When he changed the fluid, he couldn't find any Honda auto tranny fluid so he used Dexron II. Now the fluid is pretty clean, but the transmission is even more prolonged (I guess slipping is the term) between shifts. The engine basically revs as before to about 3000 rpm and then the engine basically continues to rev wihtout moving the car forward to 4000 rpm and then it shifts. Any help would be appreciated. Ohh, when we checked the tranny fluid before he changed it it was really dirty and smelled a litle like burnt rubber. What shoud he do to fix it?? What happened to make this go wrong??
Old 07-13-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (2000Prelude)

We really do need some help! My friend is afraid the car will suddenly leave him stranded on his way to work or something (and his route takes him trough some of the worst neighborhoods in DC).
Old 07-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to say the tranny is toast. Auto trannies should be plentifull and cheap to find.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might be the "clutch" which in essence is the torque converter.

did he beat on it a lot, does it slip?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it has a stall before it finally goes it is caused by the torque convertor. Your not supposed to change the black tranny fluid. I would say the stator is locked inside the torque convertor and not allowing the fluid to go to vortex flow. Change the convertor and it should fix it.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (civic-si-2000)

Will it just suddenly die on him?? What do you mean by the black tranny fluid? He doesn't have an owner's manual, but refering to my Prelude manual, you can use Dexron II in an emergency,but then you're supposed to change it back to the Honda fluid.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:54 AM

What color was the tranny fluid when he took it out?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (rdaggett)

Basically black. The new fluid has ben in there about two weeks now and had trned a very dark brown, almost black. HELP US
Old 07-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well.....if you have a auto tranny taht hasn't been flushed regularly it isn't the greatest thing in the world to go and flush it because all the internals are used to to the very thick nasty stuff.

Now the reason your fluid has changed to a differant color already is because that when you drain your fluid you don't get the fluid that is in the torque convertor or in all the lines. The best and IMO ONLY way to do a trans service is filter and a flush, a flush is the ONLY way to get everything out and replace it with ALL new fluid. But it could be that your trans is totally screwed, you will know once you get a flush done.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (99blackcivicSi)

From my expierence ..... and from what I have heard a million times ...... from DIY mechs to pro mechs ...... if the ATF is burnt (Brown or black in your case) ..... the AFT shouldnt be changed as there is a problem with the tranny and the change could do more harm then good.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (rdaggett)

First off...Honda auto trannies don't have a filter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rdaggett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From my expierence ..... and from what I have heard a million times ...... from DIY mechs to pro mechs ...... if the ATF is burnt (Brown or black in your case) ..... the AFT shouldnt be changed as there is a problem with the tranny and the change could do more harm then good.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, it's burnt/black from being over worked. Honda autos NEED the right tranny fluid. Only go with Honda ATF with a flush. First thing to do is drain the old fluid and fill her up with fresh Honda ATF, OR, as mentioned before, get a full service done, which flushes ALL of the fluid out.

Look at the fluid also....if there are pieces in the fluid, it could tell you a clutch pack has worn, etc. There's a lot to autos, and I don't feel like writing it all. First things first though....fresh fluid
Old 07-13-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...get a full service done, which flushes ALL of the fluid out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And where does one go to get a "full service?" I called three Honda dealerships inquiring about this very issue and they all told me that all they do is a drain and fill (for $69.95). So if Honda dealerships don't do this service on Honda automatic transmissions, who does?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (mct121)

99% of dealerships that are a dealer for BG have the BG trans flush equipment i don't know the price off the top of my head, but that is the machine i use.

(forgot about honda auto trannys and the lack of filters sorry my mistake)
Old 07-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: question about TRASMISSION problem (mct121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mct121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And where does one go to get a "full service?" I called three Honda dealerships inquiring about this very issue and they all told me that all they do is a drain and fill (for $69.95). So if Honda dealerships don't do this service on Honda automatic transmissions, who does?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jiffy lube. They basically run fresh fluid through the tranny while the engine is running, until clean fluid comes out. Then it's topped off and you're out.

And yes, at Honda, at least mine, we just drain and refill. Which is fine if it is done routinely.