Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about boosting GSR swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about boosting GSR swap.

Not hating on the D but I'm gonna swap sometime around Christmas. I was looking at a 98+ type r swap but after doing the math I realized I can probably buy a gsr swap with a lsd tranny and boost it for about the same money. Nothing wild here just a fun daily driver. Now since I don't know jack about boosting I want to get some insight from those that do because I'm ready to start shopping.

With 8-10 psi on a stock gsr with a good tune what can I expect for whp?
Will the engine live with stock internals at 10 psi?
Would a cam change be necessary?
I need suggestions on a turbo, a ball bearing Garrett isn't in the budget but I don't want an ebay one either.
Will a stock ex radiator keep it cool?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question about boosting GSR swap.

yes 8-10psi will be fine, I ran 11. the health of the motor wont be based on psi but on how good the tune is.
yes the internals will be fine, read a article in super street with a stock gsr on 15-18psi making 500hp. once again the tune is important.
no a cam change is not necessary but always good for more power.
I ran a ebay one and didnt have any problems with it and made 305whp 245ftlbs on 11psi
the only reason I wanted to switch is cause it is hard to find a cheap turbo that has something higher then a .50 trim which you will learn more about after you get your turbo
the ex radiator should be fine unless you plan on making a trip out to the track and find yourself making several passes which you already said that it was for daily driving.

hope that helps
Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rehaf
Not hating on the D but I'm gonna swap sometime around Christmas. I was looking at a 98+ type r swap but after doing the math I realized I can probably buy a gsr swap with a lsd tranny and boost it for about the same money. Nothing wild here just a fun daily driver. Now since I don't know jack about boosting I want to get some insight from those that do because I'm ready to start shopping.

With 8-10 psi on a stock gsr with a good tune what can I expect for whp?
Will the engine live with stock internals at 10 psi?
Would a cam change be necessary?
I need suggestions on a turbo, a ball bearing Garrett isn't in the budget but I don't want an ebay one either.
Will a stock ex radiator keep it cool?
ok, here my suggestions... not trying to sounds like a dick just open your eyes up to the world of boost.

1) never base whp off psi, it all depends on what turbo you run, and how it is tuned etc. you need to set a whp goal and then make that setup meet that goal.

2)10 psi on a stock gsr (if its a smaller turbo) should be fine and reliable for a DD. this is also determined by how good of a tune you have on your car, theres no replacement for a good tune... especially a dyno tune.

3)there are alot of turbos out on the internet you can find for a good price and have quality attached. spa turbos are decent, my buddy has one and its been good for 2 years now as a DD. i would look into a t3/t4 .54 or .57 trim 50 ar for your setup.

4) and yes your stock radiator will be fine
Old 10-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really is not answer for most of the questions you've asked. I highly recommend checking out the Forced Induction section, as well as buying the book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Both of those will give you a good basic understanding of what you need to know to do it, and what ways get the job done more efficiently. Prepare to do a LOT of research.

Here is why I say that. PSI doesn't mean a whole lot. One turbo will produce far more power at 10 psi, than a smaller turbo at 10 psi, with the same basic setup. Research will tell you how to read a turbo compressor map, so you can figure out which turbo is perfect (or nearly perfect) for your specific goals. Of course looking at different setups that other people have done, will give you some ideas as well. Maybe check out the T3/T4 family of turbos, as a good starting point; as they make good power and they are half to a third of the price as the ball bearing ones. You don't have to change the cams, but you may (probably will) make a bit more power with turbo setup specific cams. And yes the stock radiator will be enough to keep it cool. But consider getting a better fan for it, as well as possibly other minor stuff (Waterwetter, distilled water instead of tap water, lower temp thermostat & fan switch, etc). My friend drives an H22A turbo'd Civic with a stock type radiator and a slim FAL fan, and only has cooling issues on long trips.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.50 ar on what side? I have a ebay T3 T04E and its .52 AR Hot side and .63 cool side and i dont fully spool it until 4k.