Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

puting turbo on a type-r engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:22 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default puting turbo on a type-r engine

Ok i have heard in order to put a turbo kit on a type-r u need to change out lots of parts other wise u will blow the engine, and i have heard that u can just install it will the engine as is.... which is right i am confused, please help me out. i plan on puting a type-r in my 2000 civic and turboin it, thats y i ask the question... thanx
Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont do that..
Old 02-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (P-Nutz420)

You can certainly turbocharge an ITR motor without modifying the internals. The most important thing is proper tuning.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (JJSpecTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JJSpecTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><FONT SIZE="10">it's all in the <FONT COLOR="red">TUNE</FONT></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

To a certain extent, yes.

I'm not one to believe you can run 30psi on a D16 w/ ANY turbo and do burnout contests with it and no have it blow.

@ OP:
You can definitely boost your ITR w/o modifying the engine internals. You could make a pretty decent amount of power with it too.

As far as the swap into your car, all you have to do is use B-series mounts, B-series axles, the ITR ECU, and maybe VTEC wiring.

Nothing really hardcore.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (Syndacate)

why some people might say its not a good idea is that the type r engine is a pretty highly tuned engine in the first place and you will need to make sure that it is tuned correctly and that the boost is not too high for the already highly tuned engine to handle.
of course, i have no real experience with type R's, but this could explain why people tell you not to do this to this engine.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some people tell you not to boost type r's because they have pretty high compression alredy is not because they are highly tuned because you are going to have to retuned the car after reguardless
Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they say not to turbo the itr because of the cmpression ratio. i dont think you would have any problems with a proper tune. i have also heard of using different head gaskets that reduce the compression ratio slightly. just my $0.02
Old 02-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (jamesc2123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jamesc2123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why some people might say its not a good idea is that the type r engine is a pretty highly tuned engine in the first place and you will need to make sure that it is tuned correctly and that the boost is not too high for the already highly tuned engine to handle.
of course, i have no real experience with type R's, but this could explain why people tell you not to do this to this engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What Highly tuned engine? The reason people are againts an ITR turbo is because Honda built that motor to run Natural aspirated. It has higher compression than any other B18 and everything with the motor is hand built and all the tolerances are perfect. If you want to turbo a motor turbo an LS and sell the ITR to someone who knows what to do with it. That way you can money to buy the LS and with the money left over you can put toward a turbo kit. What a waste of a engine.

To people that say you could make a lot of power with the guy isnt gonna make more power with that motor over say a gsr or ls. With an ITR you cant run that much boost due to the alreay high compression. If he turboed and LS he will have just as much power and maybe a little more room to turn up boost.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:51 AM

you will need lower compression pistons....dont boost too much or none at all on those stock type r pistons..
Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My roommate has a dc2 itr and has been running 10 psi every other weekend at the track. Internally stock b18c5 running off of an FMU. It's been about 6 months and it runs fine. The car has about 40k miles or so. I guess it depends on whether you are planning on putting in a b16b, b18c-R, or a k20a type -r.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (b16nonoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16nonoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you will need lower compression pistons....dont boost too much or none at all on those stock type r pistons..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please stop spreading false information like this.

Boosting an ITR swap is like boosting any other b-series engine. If you have stock internals you are going to need a decent tune and obviously don't get too crazy with it. There is no reason why you couldn't make 300-350 whp with a good tune.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am boosting my type R as well but I am going to use a thicker headgasket to bring the compression down abit just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (still_slow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by still_slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am boosting my type R as well but I am going to use a thicker headgasket to bring the compression down abit just to be on the safe side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you plan on running more than "normal" boost (say 10+ psi) why would you need to lower compression? I'm running nitrous (75hp) on 11.5:1 type R motor properly tuned. Before anyone even tries to say there's a difference, I'll tell you internally, your engine can't tell the difference between any FI/power adder. They all provide more air (one way or another) to the combustion process, allowing more fuel to be burned which is where the extra power comes from.

Like .a d a m said, all b series engines are capable of boost within reason in a stock configuration. The higher the compression ratio is, the more power you will make BUT there is less margin for tuning error. If you don't have access to good tuning, keep your boost reasonable and your Comp ratio.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless you plan on running more than "normal" boost (say 10+ psi) why would you need to lower compression? I'm running nitrous (75hp) on 11.5:1 type R motor properly tuned. Before anyone even tries to say there's a difference, I'll tell you internally, your engine can't tell the difference between any FI/power adder. They all provide more air (one way or another) to the combustion process, allowing more fuel to be burned which is where the extra power comes from.

Like .a d a m said, all b series engines are capable of boost within reason in a stock configuration. The higher the compression ratio is, the more power you will make BUT there is less margin for tuning error. If you don't have access to

good tuning, keep your boost reasonable and your Comp ratio.</TD></TR></TABLE>

as this guy says, and most all people are saying. you can run about 10 psi safely with a good tune. My friend had a type r that he beat the hell out of and sprayed 75 shots of nitrous like crazy, type r bottom end can handle alot. soo to the people saying " dont boost type r's becuase there compression is too high, or you ned lower comp pistons, you guys are all wrong. Get a decent tune and youll be fine.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GdmBlk99SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GdmBlk99SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some people tell you not to boost type r's because they have pretty high compression alredy is not because they are highly tuned because you are going to have to retuned the car after reguardless </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 its the high compression
Old 02-18-2007, 11:06 AM
cute little bastard

06ers + should be banned for giving false info
Old 02-18-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (SkoundrelUSA)

imo, 06ers with a mouth full of teeth &gt; 04ers with missing teeth... dental insurance owns you

OOOOOHHHHHH
Old 02-18-2007, 11:31 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (CXtypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CXtypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">imo, 06ers with a mouth full of teeth &gt; 04ers with missing teeth... dental insurance owns you

OOOOOHHHHHH </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're still an idiot though
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: puting turbo on a type-r engine (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're still a smart guy with a full mouth of teeth though </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i know.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Puting turbo on a type-r engine

I think the biggest mistake one can make here is still misinformation... Boosting an ITR has been safely done more times then the combined number of motor swaps done by the people in this thread. Where I see fault is the people saying "lower CR head gaskets are ok"... WRONG!

Any motor builder with a decent amount of experience building blocks will tell you this is the worst way to lower your CR. Head gasket thickness can be used in conjunction with lower CR pistons to achieve a desired CR but should never be used as the primary source for drastically lowering CR especially when you're considering boosting any Type-R motor with an 10.8:1 (CTR) or higher (11.1:1 ITR) CR.